Why I can’t watch

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Why I can’t watch

Post by Ecbucs »

0C2D250C272F480 wrote: My thoughts about Blake Snell, He is a greedy, egotistical sumnabitch"!  And as Lanny Frattare would say:  "And There's No Doubt About!" 

he certainly is. Maybe he will be an owner some day.
Bobster21

Why I can’t watch

Post by Bobster21 »

436564736575060 wrote: My thoughts about Blake Snell, He is a greedy, egotistical sumnabitch"!  And as Lanny Frattare would say:  "And There's No Doubt About!" 

he certainly is.  Maybe he will be an owner some day.
:D
GreenWeenie

Why I can’t watch

Post by GreenWeenie »

Baseball warts and all.

If we hated it more than we love it, we'd be on some table tennis message board or something.  It's as simple as that.

We bitch about it, but here we are.
NJBucsFan

Why I can’t watch

Post by NJBucsFan »

That's all fine for Blake. I know some retail chains and warehouses that are hiring. I'd put in a good word for him for a $12 an hour job.
Bobster21

Why I can’t watch

Post by Bobster21 »

1E1A1225332316313E500 wrote: That's all fine for Blake. I know some retail chains and warehouses that are hiring. I'd put in a good word for him for a $12 an hour job.
And in just 533,333 hours he'd have his $7 million. Problem solved! :D
NewMexicoLobo

Why I can’t watch

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

514F594C5B50380 wrote: At least this guy doesn’t play for the Pirates.  Blake Snell is refusing to play this season for half his $7 million dollar salary.

Snell, who was scheduled to make $7 million in 2020, said he "love(s) baseball to death" but that he is unwilling to accept multiple reductions of his salary.

"Bro, I'm risking my life," Snell said. "What do you mean it should not be a thing? It should 100% be a thing. If I'm gonna play I should be getting the money I signed to be getting paid. I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%.

"On top of of that, it's getting taxed. So, imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

Oh, the hardship. I will not pay a dime to watch these guys.
He's really risking his life playing in empty stadiums on the mound or sitting 6 feet away from the nearest teammate.

PLEASE!! The guy's either stupid or completely disingenuous.

That's without even mentioning he's a greedy a-hole.
GreenWeenie

Why I can’t watch

Post by GreenWeenie »

I heard yesterday that some researcher says that 90% of the risk occurs indoors.  If people stay outdoors, they're probably going to be OK.  That's one of the reasons that gyms in many states, including mine, are still closed.  A clubhouse is a locker room, and I wouldn't go to my gym right now- mask or no mask- even if I was allowed to.  I feel safer working out on my own at home.

If I'm wealthy beyond most people's imagination, and can afford to take a year off....and, if I have a family to consider, I have to admit- I'm not sure that I wouldn't pass on playing.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't play.  I'm saying that I would give it a lot of thought before I made a decision.

I get a kick out of all this.

We don't like it when a player is candid and tells the truth.  At the very least, we might not like the tone in which he says it

We don't like when some cheapskate owner lies to us.

Hard to keep track of what we like and don't like anymore. @@@@@
DemDog

Why I can’t watch

Post by DemDog »

Hey Weenie, I hear ya! We differ a bit on our opinions but one thing that I think you missed when some of us were dissing Snell is that he wants the year off not because of health reasons, but because he wants his money. His reason for his outburst are cleverly disguised as being for the risk he would be taking buy playing ball this year. Sure he could die! Look at Kobe Bryant, Tyler Skags, Luis Valbuena, Jose Fernandez just to name a few. None of them faced the COVIN-19 virus.
Bobster21

Why I can’t watch

Post by Bobster21 »

437661616A5361616A6D61040 wrote: I heard yesterday that some researcher says that 90% of the risk occurs indoors.  If people stay outdoors, they're probably going to be OK.  That's one of the reasons that gyms in many states, including mine, are still closed.  A clubhouse is a locker room, and I wouldn't go to my gym right now- mask or no mask- even if I was allowed to.  I feel safer working out on my own at home.

If I'm wealthy beyond most people's imagination, and can afford to take a year off....and, if I have a family to consider, I have to admit- I'm not sure that I wouldn't pass on playing.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't play.  I'm saying that I would give it a lot of thought before I made a decision.

We don't like it when a player is candid and tells the truth.  At the very least, we might not like the tone in which he says it

I don't think anyone here is being hypocritical. I think we would all sympathize and support a player's decision not to play because of the risk. But that's not what Snell said.

He said: "Y'all gotta understand, man, for me to go -- for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof," Snell said while answering questions on his Twitch channel. "It's a shorter season, less pay.

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/291 ... ced-salary

That's fine. Then don't play. I would completely understand that decision. And no one here has said different. It's not about whether he plays or not. It's about his demand to not take less than $7 million for playing a reduced schedule.

He's willing to play a reduced schedule which means reduced risk. But he wants all the money. All 7 million. I'm sure a lot of unemployed people right now would take more risk in a full rather than reduced schedule for a fraction of what he won't settle for.

You say, "If I'm wealthy beyond most people's imagination, and can afford to take a year off....and, if I have a family to consider, I have to admit- I'm not sure that I wouldn't pass on playing." I totally agree. But if you said you were wealthy beyond most people's imagination and willing to play but wanted full pay for reduced play I would have to disagree. That's what people in this thread are saying and I fail to see the hypocrisy of what you can't keep track of anymore.
shedman

Why I can’t watch

Post by shedman »

784D5A5A51685A5A51565A3F0 wrote: I heard yesterday that some researcher says that 90% of the risk occurs indoors.  If people stay outdoors, they're probably going to be OK.  That's one of the reasons that gyms in many states, including mine, are still closed.  A clubhouse is a locker room, and I wouldn't go to my gym right now- mask or no mask- even if I was allowed to.  I feel safer working out on my own at home.

___

I don't care beans whether Snell plays or not, but you are right that I dislike our cheapskate owner.