If Bucs draft HS pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by INbuc »

055345515E44545F524577505A565E5B1954370 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Regarding the contraction of MiLB teams, I’ve always thought the amount of minor league teams was excessive. I don’t see any reason why MLB can’t treat college baseball like the NBA and NFL treat college football and basketball, respectively. First round picks in those sports jump right to their pro leagues and start. Some are instant stars. Hockey has a minor league system, but plenty of college guys jump right to the NHL.

It would be too bad to see small towns lose minor league teams, but is there really any reason why it couldn’t become the norm for the best HS players to play a couple of years in college, get drafted and say, go to AA or AAA right off the bat? Thus, they do away with all the rookie and A level teams? Those levels just sort of get absorbed into college baseball?

This in turn would strengthen college baseball. I don’t think it ever becomes as popular as NCAA football or basketball, but if ESPN started carrying college baseball games, if the sport was highlighted beyond the CWS, their may be something to this. As it is, it’s got to be tough being a college baseball coach and trying to recruit, not knowing if a kid is going to sign with an MLB team or honor his scholarship.

Interesting thoughts, IA, but I think the major league teams have a farm system for one very good reason:  the game is so hard to master, especially hitting, that it takes nearly every player several years into their adulthood to be good enough to play at the highest level.  It's necessary and essential that those players be given the opportunity to continue to grow and mature as players. 

It's fairly common to have first year players in the NFL and NBA not only play a lot, but become starters immediately.  Rare is the baseball player who is even in the major leagues let alone starting at 21 or 22 years of age.  This proves to me without question that baseball is the most difficult game to master.

Funny, but I read this post at lunch and was thinking just the opposite. A friend of mine was President of an Independent League team. He stated the significance of so many affiliated minor league teams was pitching. The injury rate of pitchers is high, and teams need a loaded inventory of hurlers to get through a season. Not only did you need a lot of arms, you needed a lot of teams for those arms to throw against.

What it tells me is this: teams want and need a lot of hitters and pitchers in training and in reserve. Owners may favor the shrinkage of the minor league system, but I doubt GMs will.
2drfischer@gmail.c

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1F18342335560 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Regarding the contraction of MiLB teams, I’ve always thought the amount of minor league teams was excessive. I don’t see any reason why MLB can’t treat college baseball like the NBA and NFL treat college football and basketball, respectively. First round picks in those sports jump right to their pro leagues and start. Some are instant stars. Hockey has a minor league system, but plenty of college guys jump right to the NHL.

It would be too bad to see small towns lose minor league teams, but is there really any reason why it couldn’t become the norm for the best HS players to play a couple of years in college, get drafted and say, go to AA or AAA right off the bat? Thus, they do away with all the rookie and A level teams? Those levels just sort of get absorbed into college baseball?

This in turn would strengthen college baseball. I don’t think it ever becomes as popular as NCAA football or basketball, but if ESPN started carrying college baseball games, if the sport was highlighted beyond the CWS, their may be something to this. As it is, it’s got to be tough being a college baseball coach and trying to recruit, not knowing if a kid is going to sign with an MLB team or honor his scholarship.

Interesting thoughts, IA, but I think the major league teams have a farm system for one very good reason:  the game is so hard to master, especially hitting, that it takes nearly every player several years into their adulthood to be good enough to play at the highest level.  It's necessary and essential that those players be given the opportunity to continue to grow and mature as players. 

It's fairly common to have first year players in the NFL and NBA not only play a lot, but become starters immediately.  Rare is the baseball player who is even in the major leagues let alone starting at 21 or 22 years of age.  This proves to me without question that baseball is the most difficult game to master.

Funny, but I read this post at lunch and was thinking just the opposite.  A friend of mine was President of an Independent League team.  He stated the significance of so many affiliated minor league teams was pitching.  The injury rate of pitchers is high, and teams need a loaded inventory of hurlers to get through a season.  Not only did you need a lot of arms, you needed a lot of teams for those arms to throw against. 

What it tells me is this:  teams want and need a lot of hitters and pitchers in training and in reserve.  Owners may favor the shrinkage of the minor league system, but I doubt GMs will.

You make a good point about pitching, and I don't disagree.  But it seems that more pitchers get to the big leagues at a younger age than position players.  Both have much to learn but position players have more skills to master what with both hitting and playing defense. Also, the injuries you mention with regard to pitchers is likely a big reason why younger pitchers find themselves in the big leagues faster.
GreenWeenie

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by GreenWeenie »

I am no scientist, and I haven't seen a study that tells us the sport that requires the most 'mastery.' The skills and decisions are far different. The number of games played at different levels are different, too. Some sports aren't played year-round. There are many variables.

I think the reason for farm systems, is purely due to situations, the popularity of the sport, and the larger number of rounds of their past drafts.

Baseball plays many more games in a season than many other sports. If it was fewer, there would probably be fewer minor league teams.

Baseball, hockey, and basketball are more international. Talent comes from several sources and methods.

Football is also now international, but much less.

The football feeder system is largely at the U.S. college level. Minor leagues aren't needed as much.

Bobster21

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by Bobster21 »

The glut of minor league teams gives franchises a chance to sift through a great number of prospects. Through the 2019 draft there were 40 rounds plus compensatory picks. There are also undrafted free agents. Prospects move thru AAA, AA, high A, A, short season A, Rookie and even foreign Rookie leagues. There's even extended spring training where low level prospects practice and play games against other teams' extended spring training prospects as they try to decide where to assign them. It's like throwing enough prospects against the wall and seeing which ones stick.

Fewer minor league teams means fewer opportunities to develop players. Teams will have to do better with the scouting so that many guys who would have been weeded out along the way don't get signed in the first place and player development resources need to be focused on those more likely to succeed. The 2021 draft is supposed to be 20 rounds.
Surgnbuck

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by Surgnbuck »

As far as minor league teams go, who knows if there are too many or not? I find it interesting that as MLB dumps their affiliations, we may find that if interest is still there in MiLB, having more independent teams and leagues will make it that much better to watch. I wouldn't heap any dirt on the minors just yet. I think we'll still see it just reorganized. I hope so. I really enjoyed going to see the Greensboro Hornets/Bats back in their Yankee affiliation days, and having seen Jeter, Rivera and others from those great Yankee teams in their Sally League days.
IABucFan

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by IABucFan »

64454D644F47200 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Uh, no way my friend do you use College Baseball like the NFL and NHL do as a feeder system.

How many games does a college team in WPa play in a season?  Way to few to satiate the fan interest in baseball. 

Minor League baseball not only serves as a feeder system to MLB but also serves family activities in the small towns they usually play in.  If you ever get a chance to see a MILB game do so.  You will enjoy it immensely.

I’ve been to minor league games, and they are enjoyable. But, money talks at the end of the day. I don’t see any reason in theory why college baseball couldn’t just essentially replace the rookie and A level teams. That way, the NCAA makes more money by drawing attention to the sport and by not having many of their best recruits sign pro contracts.

MLB owners are happy because they don’t need to pay non prospects. Every team at every level has org guys. In theory, I see no reason to weed out the org guys, who could still go play indy ball or overseas if they want to get noticed, and just stash your real prospects at AA and AAA. If the competition level of the NCAAs was increased as a default result of players not being able to turn pro out of high school, and the draft were shortened, I think scouts and drafts could focus on true prospects.

Football, basketball, and hockey are plenty difficult to master at the professional level as well. I’ve never understood the rationale that more development is needed for baseball. I don’t see any reason in theory why that couldn’t be done in college as it is in literally every other sport, the above three that I mentioned, but also golf, track, swimming, soccer, volleyball, etc.
Ecbucs

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by Ecbucs »

292122150326010E600 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Uh, no way my friend do you use College Baseball like the NFL and NHL do as a feeder system.

How many games does a college team in WPa play in a season?  Way to few to satiate the fan interest in baseball. 

Minor League baseball not only serves as a feeder system to MLB but also serves family activities in the small towns they usually play in.  If you ever get a chance to see a MILB game do so.  You will enjoy it immensely.

I’ve been to minor league games, and they are enjoyable. But, money talks at the end of the day. I don’t see any reason in theory why college baseball couldn’t just essentially replace the rookie and A level teams. That way, the NCAA makes more money by drawing attention to the sport and by not having many of their best recruits sign pro contracts.

MLB owners are happy because they don’t need to pay non prospects. Every team at every level has org guys. In theory, I see no reason to weed out the org guys, who could still go play indy ball or overseas if they want to get noticed, and just stash your real prospects at AA and AAA. If the competition level of the NCAAs was increased as a default result of players not being able to turn pro out of high school, and the draft were shortened, I think scouts and drafts could focus on true prospects.

Football, basketball, and hockey are plenty difficult to master at the professional level as well. I’ve never understood the rationale that more development is needed for baseball. I don’t see any reason in theory why that couldn’t be done in college as it is in literally every other sport, the above three that I mentioned, but also golf, track, swimming, soccer, volleyball, etc.

To me it is crystal clear that more development is needed in baseball. Many players who played 3 years in college still spend three or 4 years in the minors. Examples on Pirate roster are Kevin Newman, Jacob Stallings, Will Craig, Colin Moran, Bryan Reynolds, Chad Kuhl, Steven Brault, Trevor Williams.
GreenWeenie

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by GreenWeenie »

It's easy to tell the proper number. It's the law of supply and demand. They were formed as the result of popularity (demand.) Places wanted teams.

You can bet that if demand was low and teams were losing money, cheapskate owners like BOB would get rid of them yesterday. After all, minor league teams don't need farm clubs. Might as well get rid of the middle msn.
IABucFan

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by IABucFan »

416766716777040 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

To me it is crystal clear that more development is needed in baseball.  Many players who played 3 years in college still spend three or 4 years in the minors. Examples on Pirate roster are Kevin Newman, Jacob Stallings, Will Craig, Colin Moran, Bryan Reynolds, Chad Kuhl, Steven Brault, Trevor Williams.

Yes, but under my proposal, you’re forgetting two things. First, I’m suggesting the overall competition level of NCAA baseball would be raised by virtue of not having the best HS players jump straight to pro ball. And second, I’m not suggesting they do away with MiLB entirely. I’m suggesting doing away with the rookie leagues and A ballM maybe keep a short season team around for newly drafted players. So, the guys you mention wouldn’t jump straight to MLB. They’d go from an elevated college game to short season A, then jump to AA. Or heck, even just do away with the rookie and A- levels if you wanted. Then, they could go SS, A+, AA, AAA, MLB. (As an aside, this would require BOOSTING the minor leagues in Latin America. For example, you couldn’t expect a kid to jump from the DSL to AA). I realize this probably won’t happen, but they’re already contracting MiLB teams.
2drfischer@gmail.c

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

41494A7D6B4E6966080 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

I’ve been to minor league games, and they are enjoyable. But, money talks at the end of the day. [highlight]I don’t see any reason in theory why college baseball couldn’t just essentially replace the rookie and A level teams.[/highlight] That way, the NCAA makes more money by drawing attention to the sport and by not having many of their best recruits sign pro contracts.

One problem I see here is that schools have difficulty underwriting many of their minor sports.  Without football paying the freight, many of those sports would be eliminated, including baseball for a large number of them.  Having them take on extra costs involving more players and their development might be more than can be expected.