Baz sent to Rays as PTBNL

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

717D7C272E272F22253A20170 wrote: I will take this rotation next June. Taillon, Archer, Musgrove, Williams and Keller. If there are no injuries that is a strong rotation.
And a BP of Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Rodriguez, Santana, Kuhl and another LHP?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Oh my aching ass. I can't believe some of you are OK with giving up those 3 guys for a 29 year old P that hasn't been very good for what will be THREE years. Yep , this will be the 3rd consecutive year his ERA will be over 4. This ws a sick in the head deal for a team that will be watching TV when the playoffs start.

This move was made by management to appease some of the fans that are stupid enough to buy this. Rather than spend some money , they elected to appease suckers into buying into this.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

41737F7F6B597A737E7B7473120 wrote: Trade becomes tilted in Rays favor

Ouch!

Think we may need to wait a few years to say that yet.  Baz is still a long ways away from making the bigs.

it's not great . . .

think back, it is a lot better than the deal for Doc Medich, think further back, better than the deal for Jim Bunning. Have to expect that Archer will do better than Medich and Bunning did in Pirate uniforms. Joe Brown was a good g.m. but he had some misses too.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

As I said earlier, I thought Archer for Glasnow and Meadows was generally a fair value trade.

But now throwing in Baz too ... and I think it's a win for Tampa ... unless Archer just dominates for the next 2-3 years, which could happen but I don't expect it.

I expect Archer to be a solid, legit MLB starter ... which is exactly what we needed. I'm glad we got him. I just wish we could sign players like him as a FA in the offseason rather than having to give up 3 prospects in order to get them.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

And my big-picture concern:

We have just lost: Glasnow, Hearn and Baz.

3 high-ceiling starting pitching prospects.

Granted, there are ZERO guarantees for any of them, but they are all high-ceiling arms.

Our starting pitching pipeline just got drained big-time.

And one of them was lefty ... which we are desperate for.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

6644574A494C4B44675046464A250 wrote: And my big-picture concern:

We have just lost: Glasnow, Hearn and Baz.

3 high-ceiling starting pitching prospects.

Granted, there are ZERO guarantees for any of them, but they are all high-ceiling arms.

Our starting pitching pipeline just got drained big-time.

And one of them was lefty ... which we are desperate for.

With the exception of Nova, all our Starters are controlled through 2022 and Keller will most likely take that spot. Barring injuries, the rotation is pretty much set for a few years. Still have Kuhl and Brault that can spot start as can Holmes. We were at a position of strength with our starting depth...Now we need to move one of the SS not named Oneill Cruz and fill any other need.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I think the price the team paid in prospects is a bit high, but if Archer produces for the Pirates, regardless of what Meadows, Baz and Glasnow do for the Rays, it will be a trade that a GM and the fans should look back on and feel good.

The main thing that the Pirates need to concern themselves with is Archer being a productive pitcher this year and in future years. And, as one of the other posters noted, many fans would like feel even better if we considered the Dickerson - Hudson trade from earlier this year as part of the same transaction.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

2D01090E0522150313600 wrote: I think the price the team paid in prospects is a bit high, but if Archer produces for the Pirates, regardless of what Meadows, Baz and Glasnow do for the Rays, it will be a trade that a GM and the fans should look back on and feel good.

The main thing that the Pirates need to concern themselves with is Archer being a productive pitcher this year and in future years.   And, as one of the other posters noted, many fans would like feel even better if we considered the Dickerson - Hudson trade from earlier this year as part of the same transaction.

Yeah ... maybe throw in the 1986 trade for Drabek too ? I'm feeling better already .....Anyone that thinks this was a good deal is a true fish.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I give NH a B+ for the year.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

The trade will only be a bust if Archer messes up his arm or the Bucs despite Archer and the young guns don't make it to the WS and win, or make a long run in the playoffs those 3 yrs. Heaven forbid that they don't make the playoff period.

I am encouraged for the rest of this season and especially for 2019 and beyond.