Archer finished

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Archer finished

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

2824257E777E767B7C63794E0 wrote: He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.

It would be completely irresponsible for the Pirates to pick up Archer's option. There's no telling when, or if, he'll recover well enough over the next two seasons to be an effective starter. That risk isn't worth his salary for any major league team.
shedman

Archer finished

Post by shedman »

257365717E64747F726557707A767E7B3974170 wrote: He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.

It would be completely irresponsible for the Pirates to pick up Archer's option.  There's no telling when, or if, he'll recover well enough over the next two seasons to be an effective starter.  That risk isn't worth his salary for any major league team.
___

If Archer pitched this year and won 20 of the 50 games played, they still wouldn't pick up his option.
Bobster21

Archer finished

Post by Bobster21 »

3A212C2D242827490 wrote: He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.

It would be completely irresponsible for the Pirates to pick up Archer's option.  There's no telling when, or if, he'll recover well enough over the next two seasons to be an effective starter.  That risk isn't worth his salary for any major league team.
___

If Archer pitched this year and won 20 of the 50 games played, they still wouldn't pick up his option.
Exactly. He could win 50 and they wouldn't pick it up.
Lecom

Archer finished

Post by Lecom »

1244524649534348455260474D41494C0E43200 wrote: He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.

YEP !!!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Archer finished

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5A414C4D444847290 wrote: He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.

___

No truer words were ever spoken.
Surgnbuck

Archer finished

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'm just thankful he was here long enough to earn a bobblehead to add to my collection.
GreenWeenie

Archer finished

Post by GreenWeenie »

It's one thing to be cheap.

It's another to be incompetent.

Our guys are both.

And, to think they were going to keep the guy.

Sums things up.
BenM

Archer finished

Post by BenM »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote:

Huntington wasn't under pressure to cut salary. He took on more than he gave away. He actually thought the talent for talent trade of a declining veteran for 3 top prospects was fair. That's the scary part. Total incompetence. 

And on top of that, it wasn't like Glassnow and Meadows were a year or two away from free agency and he didn't want to lose them for nothing. Both still had 4 plus years under team control.
ChitownBucco

Archer finished

Post by ChitownBucco »

Nutting should get some insurance money back to pocket though, right?
maher.timothy20@gm

Archer finished

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

This seems like a million years ago but toward the end of last year my thinking was: don't pick up his option for this year. Accept the mistake and move on. Take the money you'd pay him this year and apply it to a different, better free agent pitcher.

The truth is he wouldn't have done all that well this year either and next year it would be the same result: they would have realized he wasn't worth the $11 million option.

So all we've really lost at this point is half a season of mediocre pitching in what will be (for us) a meaningless season anyway.