Now I think there's almost no way ......

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Post by shedman »

7D485F5F546D5F5F54535F3A0 wrote: The MLBPA looks just fine when a team has the kind of selfish, greedy, miserly, penny-pinching kind of  carpetbagging owner WE do, no matter how many games are played.

______-

The MLBPA is absolutely essential to deal with selfish greedy cheapskate carpetbaggers like Nutting.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

755E4C765E43525854775459543B0 wrote: If there is an 80 game regular season schedule with no fans, then owners will make roughly 28.5% of what they made. The calculation used to arrive at this is that they would play about 50% of the regular season at roughly 57% of the revenue (no fans, concessions, parking, etc.). To be fair, players should make the same proportion. The playoffs should be a revenue split at the same proportion of owner revenue versus total payroll was for 2019.

I listened to a weak complaint about all of this from MLBPA executive director Chris Ianetta. He said none of this is fair because players are taking additional risk. B.S., there will no fans in the stands!

MLBPA will come out of this looking very bad to the "average Joe" worker or small business owner who loves baseball and also lost his livelihood because of this unfortunate pandemic.

This may be MLB's argument. However, it may work in the players favor to say they should get x percentage of revenue (I don't think that has been included in any of the agreements).
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The only side I'm on is with the people like me, who actually have money tied up in the game, not those who simply watch games on television and argue about it online, but haven't spent a buck on a game since the Nixon regime.

All myriads of places money has been laid out in advance, and people are starting to be told "no refunds" or "credits only". I was just told by the poconos campground their's is generally a "no refund" policy. Excuse me? There isn't going to be a race with fans allowed!!! How do you justify not refunding my money?

How do hotels and motels justify this? You can't travel, your vacation plans went to trash because everything's closed, but all you get is "too bad"? These places positions are you staying with them has nothing to do with anything nearby. And these A-holes are getting bailouts!

Concerts are being "postponed" to avoid having refunds payed. "We'll give you a credit when they reschedule". Yes that makes so much sense for an industry as stable as the music industry.

They could play rock, papers, scissors for all I care about settling this argument. I just want my money.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A5C5B4E474B5C4A42290 wrote: The only side I'm on is with the people like me, who actually have money tied up in the game, not those who simply watch games on television and argue about it online, but haven't spent a buck on a game since the Nixon regime.

All myriads of places money has been laid out in advance, and people are starting to be told "no refunds" or "credits only". I was just told by the poconos campground their's is generally a "no refund" policy. Excuse me? There isn't going to be a race with fans allowed!!! How do you justify not refunding my money?

How do hotels and motels justify this? You can't travel, your vacation plans went to trash because everything's closed, but all you get is "too bad"? These places positions are you staying with them has nothing to do with anything nearby. And these A-holes are getting bailouts!

Concerts are being "postponed" to avoid having refunds payed. "We'll give you a credit when they reschedule". Yes that makes so much sense for an industry as stable as the music industry.

They could play rock, papers, scissors for all I care about settling this argument. I just want my money.

I had a reservation at a Hilton Garden Inn in January and was able to cancel the day I was supposed to arrive. I think the decision was made at the local level as reason for cancelling was the weather. The Hilton policy on my reservation was that I was too late. You should keep calling until they make the refund.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

They are gonna have to make some kind of decision on this soon here whether the players like it or not if they are gonna have a baseball season. If Manfred is saying the World Series has to be concluded the first week of November then they MUST start games by the 4th of July if you wanna have at least 82 games and half of a season. Any start time after that like late July or early August is just dumb and is not gonna work and you might as well cancel the season at that point. If the goal is to start games around  July 1st through July 4th and have spring training start June 10th then a final decision on this needs to be made in the next 10-14 days period.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Players are now balking at a 50 / 50 split of revenue for this year, when last year they only got 1/3 of all revenue.

Hell, talk about cutting off your nose despite your face!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

It does seem like the players don't want a season in 2020. That is a shame. If a season is lost what will it do to baseball as we know it? Will the fans come back to the games? Will the fans watch on tv? Will Pennies be able to weather the storm no 2020 season will do to his bottom line? Will baseball, the American Pastime become the American Forgotten Pastime? This whole moaning and groaning by the players sure is depressing.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A5B537A51593E0 wrote: It does seem like the players don't want a season in 2020.  That is a shame.  If a season is lost what will it do to baseball as we know it?  Will the fans come back to the games?  Will the fans watch on tv?  Will Pennies be able to weather the storm no 2020 season will do to his bottom line?  Will baseball, the American Pastime become the American Forgotten Pastime?  This whole moaning and groaning by the players sure is depressing.
People are already gong to have a fear of being in crowds and will be less likely to attend games no matter how much they want to. The players should realize that a revenue source for MLB is going to be affected and they should make sure not to turn fans off with there selfishness on top of that. But their greed knows no limits.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Predictably, it's not looking good for a season right now.

The other sports falling into line, not so with MLB. Typical.

Owners would lose money on the non-typical season, but would still choose to play. Players will choose to cut off their noses-despite-their-faces and lose a year's wages.

Baseball needs the NFL model -- badly.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: It does seem like the players don't want a season in 2020.  That is a shame.  If a season is lost what will it do to baseball as we know it?  Will the fans come back to the games?  Will the fans watch on tv?  Will Pennies be able to weather the storm no 2020 season will do to his bottom line?  Will baseball, the American Pastime become the American Forgotten Pastime?  This whole moaning and groaning by the players sure is depressing.
People are already gong to have a fear of being in crowds and will be less likely to attend games no matter how much they want to. The players should realize that a revenue source for MLB is going to be affected and they should make sure not to turn fans off with there selfishness on top of that. But their greed knows no limits.

I agree Bobster