Zack Godley dfa

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6C47505F260 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

That streak is frozen in time for eternity now...you do know that he no longer works for the Pirates?

Huntington?  Cherington?  Can't tell the difference.  Neither does anything all off-season. 

One had 12 seasons to disprove himself, the other has had less than one - [highlight]I'll reserve judgment until he's on the job at least 3-4 years more[/highlight].

With as bare as the previous group left the roster, it will take that long because you already know the owner won't allow him to spend freely.

I feel the same way, Javy. I think it was fair to give Cherington time in the offseason to assess the front office staff, coaches, and the players throughout the organization. I do, however, expect him to become more active leading up to the August 31 deadline, and even more so once the season ends, after observing players perform. He has a lot to overcome with the mess made by the former regime.
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

7224322629332328253200272D21292C6E23400 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

That streak is frozen in time for eternity now...you do know that he no longer works for the Pirates?

Huntington?  Cherington?  Can't tell the difference.  Neither does anything all off-season. 

One had 12 seasons to disprove himself, the other has had less than one - [highlight]I'll reserve judgment until he's on the job at least 3-4 years more[/highlight].

With as bare as the previous group left the roster, it will take that long because you already know the owner won't allow him to spend freely.

I feel the same way, Javy.  I think it was fair to give Cherington time in the offseason to assess the front office staff, coaches, and the players throughout the organization.  I do, however, expect him to become more active leading up to the August 31 deadline, and even more so once the season ends, after observing players perform.  He has a lot to overcome with the mess made by the former regime.

_______

You shouldn't expect anything leading up to the August 31 deadline. He will not want to acquire any players that would block the development of his LMG's.
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

6B707D7C757976180 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

I feel the same way, Javy.  I think it was fair to give Cherington time in the offseason to assess the front office staff, coaches, and the players throughout the organization.  I do, however, expect him to become more active leading up to the August 31 deadline, and even more so once the season ends, after observing players perform.  He has a lot to overcome with the mess made by the former regime.

_______

You shouldn't expect anything leading up to the August 31 deadline.  He will not want to acquire any players that would block the development of his LMG's.

_____

And don;t expect anything next off season either. He will have to wait for the market to be set.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

534845444D414E200 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

_______

You shouldn't expect anything leading up to the August 31 deadline.  He will not want to acquire any players that would block the development of his LMG's.

My expectations, for good or bad, revolve around him trading away players.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

465D505158545B350 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

_______

_____

And don;t expect anything next off season either.  He will have to wait for the market to be set.

Why are you unwilling to give Cherington a chance? You despised Huntington so much that I thought you'd be elated to have anyone, even a bum standing by the tracks, take his place.
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

_______

_____

And don;t expect anything next off season either.  He will have to wait for the market to be set.

Why are you unwilling to give Cherington a chance?  You despised Huntington so much that I thought you'd be elated to have anyone, even a bum standing by the tracks, take his place.
________

With Cherington, I am reminded of the story about the frog in water. It is said that if you put a frog in a pot of water and then turn up the heat very very gradually, eventually you can boil the frog to death and he won't jump out of the pot. The Pittsburgh fans are the proverbial frogs in the pot and Cherington is very very gradually turning up the heat.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

5B404D4C454946280 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

_______

_____

Why are you unwilling to give Cherington a chance?  You despised Huntington so much that I thought you'd be elated to have anyone, even a bum standing by the tracks, take his place.
________

With Cherington, I am reminded of the story about the frog in water.  It is said that if you put a frog in a pot of water and then turn up the heat very very gradually, eventually you can boil the frog to death and he won't jump out of the pot.  The Pittsburgh fans are the proverbial frogs in the pot and Cherington is very very gradually turning up the heat.

I thought with age came patience which means, by simple math, you should have more than anyone. What will it take for you to give him a chance, or is there no one person who you would be happy with in that job?
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

_______

_____

________

With Cherington, I am reminded of the story about the frog in water.  It is said that if you put a frog in a pot of water and then turn up the heat very very gradually, eventually you can boil the frog to death and he won't jump out of the pot.  The Pittsburgh fans are the proverbial frogs in the pot and Cherington is very very gradually turning up the heat.

I thought with age came patience which means, by simple math, you should have more than anyone. What will it take for you to give him a chance, or is there no one person who you would be happy with in that job?

_______

What it will take is for him to do his job as GM. Each and every time he makes an incremental improvement in the team, I will rush to my keyboard to give him kudos. However, I will not be the frog in the water and I will be critical of him so long as he does nothing to improve the team. I don't care about waiting for him to see what he has, I want to see him improve what he has.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

2D363B3A333F305E0 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

_______

_____

________

_______

What it will take is for him to do his job as GM.  Each and every time he makes an incremental improvement in the team,  I will rush to my keyboard to give him kudos.  However, I will not be the frog in the water and I will be critical of him so long as he does nothing to improve the team.  I don't care about waiting for him to see what he has, I want to see him improve what he has.

So you would be okay with him making a deal right away just to make a deal, kind of like Huntington did when he made the Bay trade and screwed that up?  You'd rather him not take some time to assess what he has, whether or not he should keep players or deal them away, or what players other teams have who might be a good return?  You want to have Huntington all over again?
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

765D4A453C0 wrote: Can't hurt, that is the Pirates business model.  Maybe one of NH reclamation signings actually work this time.  He has been on quite the cold streak.

One had 12 seasons to disprove himself, the other has had less than one - I'll reserve judgment until he's on the job at least 3-4 years more.

Three to for years to show signs of progress?

I would hope I had that amount of time.

In four years, my expectation would be to improve on the team's two weakest spots each year.  That shouldn't be very hard on a team that finished so poorly before he was hired.

I don't think many competitors wait that long to do that.

This guy hasn't done a thing and (partial) year one begins.

While he twiddles thumbs, others don't wait for him to stop.