Opening Day 30 man roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: This is sad...with eight available NL playoff spots, the Pirates SHOULD be relevant until the end of the season. But this roster is so pathetic, I doubt their relevant by August. I’m totally serious...I’ll be surprised if they win more than 15 games.

If the season turns out as you suggest, and it very well could, it's going to be interesting to see who Cherington deals away at the Deadline or in the offseason.  He has few trade pieces and, if he trades guys like Bell, Reynolds, and/or Newman, he has nothing at all going into next year.  Then, over 162 games, they might be on track to win only 15 games again.
Don't get your hopes up. :)

[/quote

I like to think big, Bobster, like I'm on crack.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

14-46 ... if they overachieve.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

346274606F75656E637446616B676F6A2865060 wrote: This is sad...with eight available NL playoff spots, the Pirates SHOULD be relevant until the end of the season. But this roster is so pathetic, I doubt their relevant by August. I’m totally serious...I’ll be surprised if they win more than 15 games.

If the season turns out as you suggest, and it very well could, it's going to be interesting to see who Cherington deals away at the Deadline or in the offseason.  He has few trade pieces and, if he trades guys like Bell, Reynolds, and/or Newman, he has nothing at all going into next year.  Then, over 162 games, they might be on track to win only 15 games again.

I honestly think this team is at least five years away from being competitive. You potentially have the makings of a decent infield with Hayes, Tucker/Newman, Gonzalez, Craig (or whomever they deem to take over for Bell). But the outfield is abysmal. None of the "prospects" they have coming up excite me. Maybe there's some talent in the low minors, but like I said...five years away. A rotation centered on Keller and (hopefully) Rocker could be solid. But after that? Catcher...sheesh, don't even get me started.

Hopefully, the DH is wildly unpopular and they go back to real NL baseball next year and beyond. That will at least be one regular where Nutting doesn't put us behind the eight ball. (and it's just better baseball.) IDK...between right now and how DL left things for NH, I think NH might have been dealt the better hand. At least he had Cutch, Marte, and Walker in the system. This team is the equivalent of going to the cupboard, looking for something to eat, and finding nothing but Alpo.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

After looking at that roster, I can honestly say it is the worst I have seen in my 50+ years of following the franchise

I guess I can look forward to the #1 draft pick selection next June
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

070F0C3B2D082F204E0 wrote: This is sad...with eight available NL playoff spots, the Pirates SHOULD be relevant until the end of the season. But this roster is so pathetic, I doubt their relevant by August. I’m totally serious...I’ll be surprised if they win more than 15 games.

I honestly think this team is at least five years away from being competitive. You potentially have the makings of a decent infield with Hayes, Tucker/Newman, Gonzalez, Craig (or whomever they deem to take over for Bell). But the outfield is abysmal. None of the "prospects" they have coming up excite me. Maybe there's some talent in the low minors, but like I said...five years away. A rotation centered on Keller and (hopefully) Rocker could be solid. But after that? Catcher...sheesh, don't even get me started.

Hopefully, the DH is wildly unpopular and they go back to real NL baseball next year and beyond. That will at least be one regular where Nutting doesn't put us behind the eight ball. (and it's just better baseball.) IDK...between right now and how DL left things for NH, I think NH might have been dealt the better hand. At least he had Cutch, Marte, and Walker in the system. This team is the equivalent of going to the cupboard, looking for something to eat, and finding nothing but Alpo.

I don't disagree, particularly with what NH left behind. For several of the years under his running the organization, the farm system received high ratings yet none of those players reached the big club and actually helped, except for Cole in one or two of his years. He didn't draft/develop one player who became a star here.

I don't know how BC is going to climb out from under this mess with so little to trade, with nothing in the system, and an owner who won't spend. You said it'll take five years. I don't know if BC will stay that long.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think the lineup will be okay and can hit and score some runs; however, I just don’t see this pitching staff both starters and in the bullpen being able to pitch consistent enough in anyway to keep this team in contention for one of those 8 playoff spots. I hope I am dead wrong but I just don’t see it.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It is what it was.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Who is our emergency catcher?
Andrew Susac

Thanks. I mean like someone on the roster currently in case both catchers get hurt. I can recall guys like mackowiak, Sean Rodriguez being mentioned as guys like this in past
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Makes me remember back to the days when Huntington wanted guys who could play 14 positions.

Didn't take long to see what he had. He had guys who were bad at 14 positions instead of being bad at only one or two.