The Great DH Compromise

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

The Great DH Compromise

Post by GreenWeenie »

301A11211600000C630 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

1. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is no longer eligible to play in that game. This is the simple option, and I prefer it.

2. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is eligible to reenter that game beginning with the next time his place in the batting order reoccurs.

What I like most about the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule is that it adds, rather than detracts, from managerial strategy for both managers. It's easy to see reporters grilling the manager post-game about their use (or lack of use) of this tool during the contest. It is a compromise position, allowing strong hitting/weak fielding players a place in the game (especially with Option 2) while still keeping a slight advantage for the rare good hitting pitcher. But it gives every fan a daily shot at second guessing the manager!

My understanding is that they've been operating under a compromise for the past 47 years. The compromise was to not implement it in one of the leagues, which is not only silly, but stupid.

That's long enough to operate under a compromise for my taste.

It's going to get implemented; just a matter of when. Might as well do it now and get it over with.
shedman

The Great DH Compromise

Post by shedman »

1F3E2B221A23382B3E2F4A0 wrote: Old guy here. Let me see if I can simplify this (for the locked thread, sorry) ...

Talk this year of going to a 26 man roster:

NL Fan (excited): Good idea, we could use another guy on the bench to PH, or for a double-switch. 5-guys on the bench seems thin at times. Or maybe another arm in the bullpen is the way to go for our club.

AL Fan (bored): Why? We really only need 22 players at most, we've got 4 to 5 guys who never play anyway.
______

Pirate fan: Oh goody, now we get another LMG for the roster.
Ecbucs

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Ecbucs »

715B50605741414D220 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

1. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is no longer eligible to play in that game. This is the simple option, and I prefer it.

2. At one point in each game, the manager may elect to pinch hit for the pitcher without being required to remove the pitcher from the game. The batter used for the pitcher is eligible to reenter that game beginning with the next time his place in the batting order reoccurs.

What I like most about the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule is that it adds, rather than detracts, from managerial strategy for both managers. It's easy to see reporters grilling the manager post-game about their use (or lack of use) of this tool during the contest. It is a compromise position, allowing strong hitting/weak fielding players a place in the game (especially with Option 2) while still keeping a slight advantage for the rare good hitting pitcher. But it gives every fan a daily shot at second guessing the manager!

where were you in 1973?
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

110A07060F030C620 wrote: Old guy here. Let me see if I can simplify this (for the locked thread, sorry) ...

NL Fan (excited): Good idea, we could use another guy on the bench to PH, or for a double-switch. 5-guys on the bench seems thin at times. Or maybe another arm in the bullpen is the way to go for our club.

AL Fan (bored): Why? We really only need 22 players at most, we've got 4 to 5 guys who never play anyway.
______

One thing's for sure, the Pirates will never get a real DH. Whoever among the four outfielders isn't starting on a particular night will be the DH, which means on most nights, it'll be the team's fourth outfielder. Sadly, he's the team's fourth outfielder for a reason: he can't hit.
GreenWeenie

The Great DH Compromise

Post by GreenWeenie »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: Old guy here. Let me see if I can simplify this (for the locked thread, sorry) ...

______

One thing's for sure, the Pirates will never get a real DH.  Whoever among the four outfielders isn't starting on a particular night will be the DH, which means on most nights, it'll be the team's fourth outfielder.  Sadly, he's the team's fourth outfielder for a reason:  he can't hit.

Spot on, but, I'm here to give you the.....Good News/Bad News.

First, the Bad News- you're right. The guy probably can't hit (enough to be one of the starting outfielders.)

But, there's Good News! As "bad" of a hitter the guy is, he'll likely be at least twice the hitter that any of the pitchers he's hitting for is. So, there is that.

Not in every case. In most cases.
Ecbucs

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Ecbucs »

073225252E1725252E2925400 wrote: Old guy here. Let me see if I can simplify this (for the locked thread, sorry) ...

______

One thing's for sure, the Pirates will never get a real DH.  Whoever among the four outfielders isn't starting on a particular night will be the DH, which means on most nights, it'll be the team's fourth outfielder.  Sadly, he's the team's fourth outfielder for a reason:  he can't hit.

Spot on, but, I'm here to give you the.....Good News/Bad News.

First, the Bad News- you're right.  The guy probably can't hit (enough to be one of the starting outfielders.)

But, there's Good News!  As "bad" of a hitter the guy is, he'll likely be at least twice the hitter that any of the pitchers he's hitting for is.  So, there is that.

Not in every case.  In most cases.

yeah, the Pirates will have a dh that hits twice as good as a pitcher, their opponent will have a dh that hits 3 times better than a pitcher. (and probably a better pitcher too).
GreenWeenie

The Great DH Compromise

Post by GreenWeenie »

Zactly.

I've pretty much accepted my fate as a Pirates fan. We live life holding the short end of every stick. :(

SyrBucco

The Great DH Compromise

Post by SyrBucco »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: I have a compromise idea that I throw out every year or so here at OnlyBucs. I posted it in another thread and it got lost there. Maybe it should be its own topic. I would be in favor of both leagues changing over to the "Designated Pinch Hitter" rule. There are two ways it could work:

If the batter reenters and bats again the next time the pitcher is due up, does the pitcher have to be removed at that point like in any other pinch hitting situation?

Can the batter reenter every time the batter is due up? If so, pitchers will start batting 3rd, 4th or 5th and will be PH for by that guy each time. In other words, the same as the DH.

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes. Baseball rules per usual.

2. The batter who pinch hit can reenter the game as though he had not previously appeared. Upon reentry, baseball rules per usual.
Lecom

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Lecom »

Interesting idea but I am with DOc on this one. Just leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Bobster21

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Bobster21 »

5A7375797B160 wrote: Interesting idea but I am with DOc on this one. Just leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Agreed. I don't want a DH or a compromise DH. But if I had to choose one or the other I would choose the compromise. But it's all academic. Just something fun to talk about. I don't believe MLB would consider anything less than the full NL DH.