Game Thread 7/25 at Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: It’s only two games in so don’t want to read too much into things yet but yea it’s clear this is just not a good team overall. There are just way too many holes. And while I think this entire 60 game season is not very important in terms of wins and losses if the Pirates plan to at least stay relevant in the race and keep fans somewhat interested they better start winning some games this next week or so. Starting something like 1-9 or 2-8 after 10 games is basically gonna put this team out of it right away. And the way things look so far these first two games in St Louis it appears that’s a very good possibility.
I don't see any possible way that can happen. Not because they are 0-2. Anyone can lose 2 games. But this is the team that was a noncompetitive 3-18 against their peers in the exhibition games. The team with 2 of the 3 starting OFers who have established a MLB track record of not being able to hit. The team that starts Phillip Evans and John Ryan Murphy on the 2nd day of the season. The team that presents 2 mediocre starting pitchers as their 1-2 guys and does not have a single reliever who would be a lock to make any other team. And the team whose bench is laughably weak even with an expanded roster. With this roster it doesn't matter how many or how few games have been played. This is not a roster than can compete with MLB teams. There will be games here and there where 1 or 2 guys have excellent games and the Bucs come out on top. There are a couple very weak teams in the AL Central on their schedule. But in any sustained period of playing, the inability to match up to the opposition will sink them like a rock. Staying relevant is not an option.

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: It’s only two games in so don’t want to read too much into things yet but yea it’s clear this is just not a good team overall. There are just way too many holes. And while I think this entire 60 game season is not very important in terms of wins and losses if the Pirates plan to at least stay relevant in the race and keep fans somewhat interested they better start winning some games this next week or so. Starting something like 1-9 or 2-8 after 10 games is basically gonna put this team out of it right away. And the way things look so far these first two games in St Louis it appears that’s a very good possibility.
I don't see any possible way that can happen. Not because they are 0-2. Anyone can lose 2 games. But this is the team that was a noncompetitive 3-18 against their peers in the exhibition games. The team with 2 of the 3 starting OFers who have established a MLB track record of not being able to hit. The team that starts Phillip Evans and John Ryan Murphy on the 2nd day of the season. The team that presents 2 mediocre starting pitchers as their 1-2 guys and does not have a single reliever who would be a lock to make any other team. And the team whose bench is laughably weak even with an expanded roster. With this roster it doesn't matter how many or how few games have been played. This is not a roster than can compete with MLB teams. There will be games here and there where 1 or 2 guys have excellent games and the Bucs come out on top. There are a couple very weak teams in the AL Central on their schedule. But in any sustained period of playing, the inability to match up to the opposition will sink them like a rock. Staying relevant is not an option.   

Ouch. Bobster, I wish I could point to anything inaccurate in your analysis.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Two games in is definitely the earliest in the season I've ever wanted to tap out. Not because the team has been bad, I've certainly lived through enough of that since the 80's, but because it's a bad team playing a game I don't care for all that much. I won't say I'm Pollyanna-ish, but I can always have something of a bright outlook even about a bad team because I love the game so much. A day watching baseball is usually better than just about anything else. But this year that isn't the case. It's not just one thing, but when you combine the DH, Covid, politics, cardboard cutouts in the stands, the 10th inning ghost man rule and the NHL-style playoffs with a horrid team I really am struggling to maintain interest already.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

The Pirates don't even know the season has started.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

15322327223F00342322223F460 wrote: It’s only two games in so don’t want to read too much into things yet but yea it’s clear this is just not a good team overall. There are just way too many holes. And while I think this entire 60 game season is not very important in terms of wins and losses if the Pirates plan to at least stay relevant in the race and keep fans somewhat interested they better start winning some games this next week or so. Starting something like 1-9 or 2-8 after 10 games is basically gonna put this team out of it right away. And the way things look so far these first two games in St Louis it appears that’s a very good possibility.
The 2020 season is meaningless and a farce. No fans, 60 games, more than half the teams in the playoffs, DH, starting runners at 2B in extra innings. I love my Buccos but the best thing that can happen this year is for them to totally tank like the Pens did in 1984 so they could draft Lemieux.

If the Bucs get the #1 pick and draft Rocker ( who could be another Cole or Strausburg) then there might be some hope down the road
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

And, of course, they will keep this guy- or anyone else- like they did with Gerritt Cole, because.....like Cutch, he will want to stay working for these guys who are so committed to surrounding him with excellent teammates.