7/28 game thread vs Milw

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by BenM »

I was all ready to blame the bullpen (again). Glad I was wrong (so far).
GreenWeenie

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by GreenWeenie »

At 27, it makes you wonder.

But, he has no criminal record that I'm aware of. So, he has that going for him.
SteadyFreddy

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Why is Hartleib still in this game after the Pirates erased the 4 run deficit and tied it. Like where are guys like Brubaker and Burdi at??
Bobster21

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by Bobster21 »

123524202538073324252538410 wrote: Why is Hartleib still in this game after the Pirates erased the 4 run deficit and tied it. Like where are guys like Brubaker and Burdi at??
I know it's only been a handful of games but the way Shelton has handled the roster including the BP suggests the Pirates are playing these games like it's the Grapefruit League. Just seeing what guys can do regardless of whether it hurts the team's chances to win. Maybe that's an organizational decision. Either that or Shelton is channeling his inner Lloyd McClendon.
Bobster21

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by Bobster21 »

Frazier doesn't hit many HRs but he never hits a cheap one.
SteadyFreddy

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Burdi is your closer for now until further notice. It’s a small sample size but I look at results and so far he has pitched two 9th innings in both wins and has had very little problem at all getting 6 outs to nail down the win in both of these games.
UtahPirate

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by UtahPirate »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: Why is Hartleib still in this game after the Pirates erased the 4 run deficit and tied it. Like where are guys like Brubaker and Burdi at??
I know it's only been a handful of games but the way Shelton has handled the roster including the BP suggests the Pirates are playing these games like it's the Grapefruit League. Just seeing what guys can do regardless of whether it hurts the team's chances to win. Maybe that's an organizational decision. Either that or Shelton is channeling his inner Lloyd McClendon.

Or just playing to lose and up their draft status.

McClendon or Clint? Not impressed in the least with Shelton so far.
MaineBucs

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by MaineBucs »

A win. WOW!

Didn't catch any of the game until the 8th. That said, based on the first 5 games of this very short season, it appears that one of our main discussion points is what Shelton did or did not do.

Hopefully this will never reach the level of Lloyd McClendon territory, but based on initial indications, Lloyd could have a challenger.
GreenWeenie

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by GreenWeenie »

Shelton's all right for a LMG OJT.  He just needs a few more full seasons to see what he has.  His buddy, Cherrington, hasn't done him many favors.
Bobster21

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by Bobster21 »

163A32353E192E38285B0 wrote: A win.  WOW!

Didn't catch any of the game until the 8th.   That said, based on the first 5 games  of this very short season, it appears that one of our main discussion points is what Shelton did or did not do. 

Hopefully this will never reach the level of Lloyd McClendon territory, but based on initial indications, Lloyd could have a challenger.
I sure hope it doesn't turn out that way. But I'm already wondering. I always liked McClendon as a player and expected to like him as a manager, believing DL must have had a good reason to hire him. But after just his first handful of games I was already amazed at how illogical Lloyd's moves were. I thought it would get better as he gained experience or that maybe he had a reason to try some odd things initially but it never got better. So I'm telling myself now that Shelton is doing some illogical things and maybe there's a reason or maybe it's just inexperience. And hopefully before long there will no longer be comparisons to the early (and middle and late) days of McClendon.

But hey: 2-3. .400 baseball. I think most of expected 0-5 or 1-4 at this point. If Shelton plays .400 ball with this team he might win mgr of the year. :)