I can see interest in this season is really picking up!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

In that video that I watched last night (referenced in Post 5 above,) it said that the Pirates have the 8th-highest TV viewership in MLB.  No time period was mentioned.

If true, my question is- isn't there anything better to watch? 
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea 2-7 just nine games into the season already is pretty bad and another week of this and complete interests of this team will be done. I’m with a bunch of you on Shelton so far today. Like what is he doing giving both Reynolds and Bell your two best hitters the day off when you are struggling a ton to score runs and you are 2-6 and falling fast in the standings and desperately need to win a game. Like what the hell is Shelton trying to do by not playing both Bell and Reynolds. Are they trying to lose on purpose because I don’t get these moves at all. But I’m with people on Shelton so far it’s only a small sample size but overall I am not liking what I see from him so far.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

645146464D7446464D4A46230 wrote: Agree 100% on Shelton. I haven't liked anything he's done. His moves are consistently illogical as if he avoids doing the obvious to show us how innovative he can be. The 4 outfielder stunt last week was totally unnecessary. Not taking advantage of the DH to hide Bell's defense is another bad move. Pulling Brault, who has a history as a starter, after 3 perfect innings only to be on his 8th pitcher by the 10th inning, was ridiculous. In the 10th today with Cubs on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out, he goes with 5 infielders and 2 OFers to hope for a tag play at the plate. The sensible move was to walk the batter to set up an inning ending DP or at least a force out at home rather than the riskier tag play. They got out of it thanks to Howard striking batters out but Shelton's strategy was a head-scratcher. His lineups make little sense. And the poor fundamentals of the past few years have not been corrected. Unfortunately, he's reminding me of Lloyd McClendon, who was atrocious. I didn't like Hurdle and [highlight]thought a replacement would be chosen who would be an upgrade.[/highlight] But now I'm wondering where they found this clown.   

Hate to say it.  I think you're a great guy.  But, that's on you.

Anyone better than Hurdle is steering clear of this place.  For one, how many better than Hurdle were even available at the time?

Of those, how many do not know of BOB?

Gerardi and his kind want nothing to do with the Pirates, and BOB wants nothing to do with paying that kind of guy.

I remember a guy on MLBNR saying that he couldn't see an experienced manager taking the Pirates job unless it was written into the contract that there would be a miminum 25-man payroll of a certain amount.  BOB would never go for that.

We got a LMG OJT guy for a reason. 

Yeah, I realize that managing the Pirates for Nutting is not a plum job. No experienced mgr wants it. They're only going to get guys who want their 1st crack at a MLB managing job. But even among all the minor league managers who would even stoop to working for Nutting to get into the MLB mgrs club, there must be someone somewhere with more common sense than what Shelton has thus far shown.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Maybe. Maybe not.

Remember- they're in the minors for a reason. If they were any good, they'd be managing one of the 29 MLB clubs. 30 minus the Pirates. ;) :(((((((
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

042924353223347477460 wrote: Agree 100% on Shelton. I haven't liked anything he's done. His moves are consistently illogical as if he avoids doing the obvious to show us how innovative he can be. The 4 outfielder stunt last week was totally unnecessary. Not taking advantage of the DH to hide Bell's defense is another bad move. Pulling Brault, who has a history as a starter, after 3 perfect innings only to be on his 8th pitcher by the 10th inning, was ridiculous. In the 10th today with Cubs on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out, he goes with 5 infielders and 2 OFers to hope for a tag play at the plate. The sensible move was to walk the batter to set up an inning ending DP or at least a force out at home rather than the riskier tag play. They got out of it thanks to Howard striking batters out but Shelton's strategy was a head-scratcher. His lineups make little sense. And the poor fundamentals of the past few years have not been corrected. Unfortunately, he's reminding me of Lloyd McClendon, who was atrocious. I didn't like Hurdle and thought a replacement would be chosen who would be an upgrade. But now I'm wondering where they found this clown.   

+1
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We find all the ways that don't work, and the perfect guys to find out. :(
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I don't get the Bucs on tv because I only have netflix and HD antenna, but I used to be quite a participant in GDT's listening to the radio even.

Was watching the game at dinner at a restaurant today. First game I've been able to watch for a stretch. I'm really confused about the runner on second to start extras. Is it the guy who was going to be hitting first? Or can it be any guy? Or last guy to make an out?

Another question, which you had, is why not just load the bases once a guy makes it to third? Force play way easier than a tag play, which requires infielders in for the most part anyhow.

I also question the Cubs manager. Once the Pirates didn't score in the 10th, why not bunt the first guy? Really odd, but I guess that's not the game these days, figuring a sac bunt and a productive out should win the game with ease.

Two runners thrown out. The one at home, IMHO you can't send the guy unless you know he's scoring if you're the visiting team. You can do that as the home team, the aggressive running if the game is still tied. The guy at third in the 11th inning, first thing I thought was, "Is this poor base running every going to end?" Then again, so far this "season", it's readily apparent not too many Pirates are used to standing on second base anyhow.

I don't like starting the guy on second for extras. I'd as just soon them play 12 innings max, and call them ties if it isn't settled.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

604641545D51465058330 wrote: I don't get the Bucs on tv because I only have netflix and HD antenna, but I used to be quite a participant in GDT's listening to the radio even.

Was watching the game at dinner at a restaurant today. First game I've been able to watch for a stretch. I'm really confused about the runner on second to start extras. Is it the guy who was going to be hitting first? Or can it be any guy? Or last guy to make an out?

Another question, which you had, is why not just load the bases once a guy makes it to third? Force play way easier than a tag play, which requires infielders in for the most part anyhow.

I also question the Cubs manager. Once the Pirates didn't score in the 10th, why not bunt the first guy? Really odd, but I guess that's not the game these days, figuring a sac bunt and a productive out should win the game with ease.

Two runners thrown out. The one at home, IMHO you can't send the guy unless you know he's scoring if you're the visiting team. You can do that as the home team, the aggressive running if the game is still tied.  The guy at third in the 11th inning, first thing I thought was, "Is this poor base running every going to end?" Then again, so far this "season", it's readily apparent not too many Pirates are used to standing on second base anyhow.

I don't like starting the guy on second for extras. I'd as just soon them play 12 innings max, and call them ties if it isn't settled.
The guy who starts the inning at 2B is the last batter of the previous inning. I hate the rule. I agree with playing 12 normal innings (once more thru the lineup) and call it a tie if still even after 12.

I'm probably in the minority but I prefer taking 3 shots to score a guy from 2B rather than 2 shots from 3B. If you bunt the guy to 3B and then fail to score him with the 2nd out, you've only got 1 more chance. I'd rather take a chance on getting a hit with the next batter when even a deep fly ball out of a grounder to the right side would still get him to 3B without giving up the possibility of a hit. And if the first out fails to advance him, he's still in scoring position with 2 more outs to go. Most people would give up the first out to bunt him to 3B but I prefer 3 chances to score him from 2B.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Did 2013-2015 really happen?
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

By the way I don't blame Cora at all for sending Stallings home with no outs. If you hold him at third, the Pirates have a runner at 3rd with no outs.

The Pirates never score the runner from 3rd with no outs.

Never.