Bobster21

Game Thread - August 6 - Bucs vs Twins

Post by Bobster21 »

Woo-hoo! Polanco! I guess the 3-0 lead wasn't insurmountable after all. ;D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

A shocking win!

And thanks to the Twins manager for his 9th inning strategy. With the potential tie and winning runs at 2B and 3B he plays the infield in. The saying is that doing so adds 100 points to the batter's BA. It's a gamble because if the grounder is fielded, the runner has to either hold 3B or be out at home. But it reduces the infielders' chances of fielding a ground ball. Had there just been a runner on 3B to possibly tie the game it would have been a sound strategy, as worse case scenario the ball gets thru, the game is tied and the batter gets to 1B. But with the potential winning run at 2B, that same hit loses the game.

And after Polanco whiffed for the 1st out, 1B was open and putting a meaningless runner there would set up a force at home if not an inning ending DP. A normal infield fields Newman's grounder, gets the 2nd out at 1B as the tie run scores. But the Twins would still be alive and hopeful of getting to extra innings. Having a 1 run lead but gambling on allowing 2 runners to score if the pulled-in infield can't get to a ground ball isn't a good strategy and it cost them. Nice to see another manager make a poor decision.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: A shocking win!

And thanks to the Twins manager for his 9th inning strategy. With the potential tie and winning runs at 2B and 3B he plays the infield in. The saying is that doing so adds 100 points to the batter's BA. It's a gamble because if the grounder is fielded, the runner has to either hold 3B or be out at home. But it reduces the infielders' chances of fielding a ground ball. Had there just been a runner on 3B to possibly tie the game it would have been a sound strategy, as worse case scenario the ball gets thru, the game is tied and the batter gets to 1B. But with the potential winning run at 2B, that same hit loses the game.

And after Polanco whiffed for the 1st out, 1B was open and putting a meaningless runner there would set up a force at home if not an inning ending DP. A normal infield fields Newman's grounder, gets the 2nd out at 1B as the tie run scores. But the Twins would still be alive and hopeful of getting to extra innings. Having a 1 run lead but gambling on allowing 2 runners to score if the pulled-in infield can't get to a ground ball isn't a good strategy and it cost them. Nice to see another manager make a poor decision. 

It was a real head-scratcher to me why Baldelli didn't walk Polanco after Reynolds' double. His run meant nothing and it would've set up force plays all around. Plus, the bottom of the Pirates order was due up (not that there's a great distinction between the bottom and top these days), which increased the odds that outs would've been made. If it's true that managers are responsible for eight wins during the year, that's one he cost his team.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: A shocking win!

well said, and with getting runner on second to start extra innings it is even more of an advantage for Twins to go for tie. In extra innings pretty much every other team is going to have better odds of scoring than the Pirates.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Couple of thoughts ...

* I don't get to listen to a lot of Pirates TV games, but I listened to every word today ... and yes it was excruciating.

* Block and the Fort talked about Polanco's HR for the next 3 innings ... almost as if they had never seen a HR before. (In their defense, they see about 1 HR every two weeks).

* Despite today's win, this team is absolutely horrific, bordering on unwatchable. One win today doesn't mean a thing. The worst teams IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL win about 1 out of every 3 games. This Pirates team is somehow playing at a rate much worse than .333.

* Frazier and Bell's at-bats were so bad, so hopeless, it looked like up there just flailing away with no idea what I was doing.

* If I were managing this team and I had four shortstops none of whom can hit, I would put the best glove there (Tucker) and let him play basically every game and hope he can hit .200. That's the one position I would trade offense for an elite glove. Everyone says Tucker has an elite glove ... BUT WE WOULDN'T KNOW BECAUSE THE PIRATES ARE LITERALLY INVITING EVERYONE IN THE ORGANIZATION TO PLAY SS EXCEPT COLE TUCKER.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

One more note ...

The Pirates have more wins than the Cardinals.

Very impressive.
2drfischer@gmail.c

7A584B56555057587B4C5A5A56390 wrote: Couple of thoughts ...

* I don't get to listen to a lot of Pirates TV games, but I listened to every word today ... and yes it was excruciating.

* Block and the Fort talked about Polanco's HR for the next 3 innings ... almost as if they had never seen a HR before. (In their defense, they see about 1 HR every two weeks).

* Despite today's win, this team is absolutely horrific, bordering on unwatchable. One win today doesn't mean a thing. The worst teams IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL win about 1 out of every 3 games. This Pirates team is somehow playing at a rate much worse than .333.

* Frazier and Bell's at-bats were so bad, so hopeless, it looked like up there just flailing away with no idea what I was doing.

* If I were managing this team and I had four shortstops none of whom can hit, I would put the best glove there (Tucker) and let him play basically every game and hope he can hit .200. That's the one position I would trade offense for an elite glove. Everyone says Tucker has an elite glove ... BUT WE WOULDN'T KNOW BECAUSE THE PIRATES ARE LITERALLY INVITING EVERYONE IN THE ORGANIZATION TO PLAY SS EXCEPT COLE TUCKER.

I have to agree about playing Tucker at SS, particularly about the importance of the position. It's the most critical one to man with the best defensive player. I'd move Newman to 2B, Frazier to RF now that Osuna is gone, and Rodriguez to the furthest reaches of the dugout, never to see the field again.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4062716C6F6A6D62417660606C030 wrote: Couple of thoughts ...

After several innings I could no longer bear the Block/McKenry nonstop chattering so I muted them and listened to the Brown/Walk radio broadcast. The radio team was a far better broadcast and managed that with less talking than the TV team who could let the pictures speak for themselves--but refused to. Brown generally limited his comments to the PBP and info about the pitcher and the batter. Walk added on or brought up a related subject.

In addition to PBP, Block went on and on about a variety of players, the game of baseball, anecdotes, questions and attempts at humor. McKenry seized every opportunity to discuss every possible aspect of every player and every play and the players' slang terms for every play. The only plus was that McKenry's endless droning reduced Block's endless droning. Another thing that annoys me about Block is that he feels he has to explain to his audience every baseball reference. For instance if the color guy casually references a famous player or play from the past, Block explains to us who or what that was.

As for the SSs, Newman hit .308 last year with 12 HRs and 64 RBIs. And while not Ozzie Smith with the glove, he played respectable defense. If he struggles this season it won't be the 1st instance of a sophomore jinx. But there does not appear to be a need to have constant tryouts for that position now. Newman is off to a slow start (who isn't?) but playing sporadically after establishing himself last year is probably the worst approach with him they can take. OTOH, if they see Tucker as the SS of the future then he actually needs to play SS and not OF and needs to play it enough to see if his glove is as good as they think and if he can hit well enough to be a starter. I understand the desire to get a look at various players. But after last season, SS was not a position that needed to be addressed unless Tucker turned out to be a better option that the guy who did a good job last year. But playing Newman sporadically, Tucker exclusively in the OF while Gonzalez and Riddle play SS seems a waste of everyone's time. But this organization seems clueless, so there's that. :(
2drfischer@gmail.c

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Couple of thoughts ...

After several innings I could no longer bear the Block/McKenry nonstop chattering so I muted them and listened to the Brown/Walk radio broadcast. The radio team was a far better broadcast and managed that with less talking than the TV team who could let the pictures speak for themselves--but refused to. Brown generally limited his comments to the PBP and info about the pitcher and the batter. Walk added on or brought up a related subject.

In addition to PBP, Block went on and on about a variety of players, the game of baseball, anecdotes, questions and attempts at humor. McKenry seized every opportunity to discuss every possible aspect of every player and every play and the players' slang terms for every play. The only plus was that McKenry's endless droning reduced Block's endless droning. Another thing that annoys me about Block is that he feels he has to explain to his audience every baseball reference. For instance if the color guy casually references a famous player or play from the past, Block explains to us who or what that was. 

As for the SSs, Newman hit .308 last year with 12 HRs and 64 RBIs. And while not Ozzie Smith with the glove, he played respectable defense. If he struggles this season it won't be the 1st instance of a sophomore jinx. But there does not appear to be a need to have constant tryouts for that position now. Newman is off to a slow start (who isn't?) but playing sporadically after establishing himself last year is probably the worst approach with him they can take. OTOH, if they see Tucker as the SS of the future then he actually needs to play SS and not OF and needs to play it enough to see if his glove is as good as they think and if he can hit well enough to be a starter. I understand the desire to get a look at various players. But after last season, SS was not a position that needed to be addressed unless Tucker turned out to be a better option that the guy who did a good job last year. But playing Newman sporadically, Tucker exclusively in the OF while Gonzalez and Riddle play SS seems a waste of everyone's time. But this organization seems clueless, so there's that.  :(

I share your opinion on Joe Block. I'll never listen to him again. It's torture. I love Greg Brown and how he works the games. He's fun when he needs to be and serious when the time demands. And he and Walk together are a treat.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4062716C6F6A6D62417660606C030 wrote: One more note ...

The Pirates have more wins than the Cardinals.

Very impressive.

Where'd you get that stat, the White House? ;) But, you're right! ;)