Trade Rumors

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Trade Rumors

Post by fjk090852-7 »

673127333C26363D3027153238343C397B36550 wrote: Would a contending GM be fooled enough, or desperate enough, to part with a good player for one of our starting pitchers?  Maybe BC can throw in Polanco to sweeten the deal.
I think Holland, Williams or Kuhl could interest a contending team as a middle, or back of the rotation starters. I don’t expect that the Pirates will acquire a super player, but I think they could acquire a player or players which will be part of the puzzle in a year or two. When they traded Watson a few years ago they acquired Cruz which was a low level player with some upside at that time. Another acquisition like Cruz would be perfect.
shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

In order for Toronto's GM to make a trade for Williams or Kuhl, first he would have to find Cherington and then wake him up and then offer to send Cherington cash in exchange for Williams or Kuhl.
fjk090852-7

Trade Rumors

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2D363B3A333F305E0 wrote: In order for Toronto's GM to make a trade for Williams or Kuhl, first he would have to find Cherington and then wake him up and then offer to send Cherington cash in exchange for Williams or Kuhl.
Cherington and Steve Sanders know the Blue Jays organization very well after years of working for them, so I believe they could receive a quality return if a trade was completed. Sure besides the Marte trade there has been little trade activity, but I think things are going to change as they continue to evaluate the current roster.
Ecbucs

Trade Rumors

Post by Ecbucs »

515D5C070E070F02051A00370 wrote: In order for Toronto's GM to make a trade for Williams or Kuhl, first he would have to find Cherington and then wake him up and then offer to send Cherington cash in exchange for Williams or Kuhl.
Cherington and Steve Sanders know the Blue Jays organization very well after years of working for them, so I believe they could receive a quality return if a trade was completed. Sure besides the Marte trade there has been little trade activity, but I think things are going to change as they continue to evaluate the current roster.

Cliff Notes version of Ben C.'s evaluation of Bucs:

Team needs help everywhere.
JollyRoger

Trade Rumors

Post by JollyRoger »

Williams yes, Kuhl no.

Kuhl is exactly what you want to keep.

Under control for multiple years. Economical (cheap) and has good upside
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Rumors

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

040809525B525A57504F55620 wrote: Would a contending GM be fooled enough, or desperate enough, to part with a good player for one of our starting pitchers?  Maybe BC can throw in Polanco to sweeten the deal.
I think Holland, Williams or Kuhl could interest a contending team as a middle, or back of the rotation starters. [highlight]I don’t expect that the Pirates will acquire a super player,[/highlight] but I think they could acquire  a player or players which will be part of the puzzle in a year or two. When they traded Watson a few years ago they acquired Cruz which was a low level player with some upside at that time. Another acquisition like Cruz would be perfect.

BC has so little to trade it'd be a miracle if he could get something better in return for anyone on his roster. Good luck with that.

His best bet is to build through the draft, sign young international talent, and spend big money on quality free agents who'll be here for more than three years. Some people are satisfied with signing free agents for one year just so it looks like the team's improving when, in reality, those guys put the Pirates no closer to a title than the current players. I just don't know why some fans don't want to go all in to try to win.
skinnyhorse

Trade Rumors

Post by skinnyhorse »

16333030250E333B392E5C0 wrote: Williams yes, Kuhl no.

I say no on Williams and Kuhl. I'd get busy trying to sign him long term and pay Kuhl above minimum and try to build a relationship. Also, I want to see more of Holland, I was impressed with the way he pitched against Milwaukee he was on the corners all night and didn't get a lot of calls. He seemed very much in control the entire game. He deserves a good long look, could he be another Happ.
fjk090852-7

Trade Rumors

Post by fjk090852-7 »

657D7F78786F7E79646573160 wrote: Williams yes, Kuhl no.

I say no on Williams and Kuhl.  I'd get busy trying to sign him long term and pay Kuhl above minimum and try to build a relationship.  Also, I want to see more of Holland, I was impressed with the way he pitched against Milwaukee he was on the corners all night and didn't get a lot of calls.  He seemed very much in control the entire game.  He deserves a good long look, could he be another Happ.
I like both of these pitchers, and was surprised when I saw the article this morning stating that the Blue Jays were interested in them. If the Bucs could get a catcher and a prospect for one of them I would pull the trigger. I would prefer they move Williams rather than Kuhl.
shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

Here are the top 10 excuses and alibis that Cherington Apologists use for not acquiring a player.

1. He is an aging veteran on the decline.

2. He is too injury prone.

3. Acquiring him would bring us no closer to a championship.

4. He would never sign to play in Pittsburgh.

5. He would be a clubhouse cancer.

6. Acquiring him would upset the team chemistry.

7. Signing him would lose financial flexibility for a 1 year player.

8.We already have players just as good as him.

9. We are not the Red Sox or Yankees and they would outbid us.

10.He would block this LMG or that LMG from development.

This thread has already used some of these excuses and alibis. The end result of this is that there is absolutely no way that Cherington can improve the worst team in all of baseball.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Rumors

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4F545958515D523C0 wrote: Here are the top 10 excuses and alibis that Cherington Apologists use for not acquiring a player.

1. He is an aging veteran on the decline.

2. He is too injury prone.

3. Acquiring him would bring us no closer to a championship.

4. He would never sign to play in Pittsburgh.

5. He would be a clubhouse cancer.

6. Acquiring him would upset the team chemistry.

7. Signing him would lose financial flexibility for a 1 year player.

8.We already have players just as good as him.

9. We are not the Red Sox or Yankees and they would outbid us.

10.He would block this LMG or that LMG from development.

This thread has already used some of these excuses and alibis.  The end result of this is that there is absolutely no way that Cherington can improve the worst team in all of baseball.

Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?