Game Thread - September 3 - Cubs vs Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5E6E6279796463406C7E7E0D0 wrote: Riddle costs them again...
In my opinion the loss of Evans was big this season. It was only a small sample size, but Evans did impress when he was on the field.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3365736768726269647341666C60686D2F62010 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 
Exactly! All you need to do is look at the Pirates 1960 stats. These weren't millionaires with personal trainers and workout rooms built into their mansions. And they won the WS with guys playing every day.

With 1 tie game that was replayed they had 155 games. Don Hoak played all of them, starting 152. He had such a good season he was #2 in NL MVP voting. Until Groat suffered a fractured wrist on Sept 6 he had started every game. He was NL MVP and batting champ. Maz started 150 of 155 and had a fine season. Clemente rarely sat unless injured and started 140 of 155 (90%). And that's just one team. All teams played their best guys as much as possible.

And Cal Ripken not only played every game, he was playing every inning. From June 5, 1982 thru the 7th inning of Sept 14, 1987 he never missed an inning. While playing every inning of 1983 with no rest at all he was the AL MVP.

But now managers act like if guys don't get a constant pattern of rest they won't be able to perform well. But I see no evidence to support that theory.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

0F594F5B544E5E55584F7D5A505C5451135E3D0 wrote: Moran or Bell long term, who you got?

I think Moran is turning into a more reliable bat and a better glove.
I may agree, Moran has done well at first, and he has hit well. Bell’s season has not been very good so his trade value is down. The Bucs may have to wait until next seasons trading deadline to do something with Bell.

Outside of three months last season, Bell's career has not been very good.
Bell being a switch hitter could be a factor. However, not hitting much from either side right now.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 
Exactly! All you need to do is look at the Pirates 1960 stats. These weren't millionaires with personal trainers and workout rooms built into their mansions. And they won the WS with guys playing every day.

With 1 tie game that was replayed they had 155 games. Don Hoak played all of them, starting 152. He had such a good season he was #2 in NL MVP voting. Until Groat suffered a fractured wrist on Sept 6 he had started every game. He was NL MVP and batting champ. Maz started 150 of 155 and had a fine season. Clemente rarely sat unless injured and started 140 of 155 (90%). And that's just one team. All teams played their best guys as much as possible.

And Cal Ripken not only played every game, he was playing every inning. From June 5, 1982 thru the 7th inning of Sept 14, 1987 he never missed an inning. While playing every inning of 1983 with no rest at all he was the AL MVP. 

But now managers act like if guys don't get a constant pattern of rest they won't be able to perform well. But I see no evidence to support that theory.    

I think it depends on the manager- Living in S. Jersey, I get all the Phillies games. Joe Girardi is not of those analytic guys.Harper, Segura, Didi Gregorius, Rhys Hoskins, Realmuto even Cutch after hie injury are everyday guys. Gabe Kapler who managed them the last two years was a analytic guy and seemed to have a different lineup every day- He is now managing the Giants
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D53565E4D55555E7E5B4C5F3A0 wrote: Moran or Bell long term, who you got?

I may agree, Moran has done well at first, and he has hit well. Bell’s season has not been very good so his trade value is down. The Bucs may have to wait until next seasons trading deadline to do something with Bell.

Bell being a switch hitter could be a factor. However, not hitting much from either side right now.
Yeah, a switch-hitter not hitting is the worst because he's always batting from the advantageous side. So far this season he's batting .220 as a RH batter vs LHP pitching and .167 as a LH batter vs RHP. Pathetic.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I took a quick peak at the game and this message board while at work.

A couple of comments:

1) I have no issue with the Bucs starting Tucker. While he is not hitting much, he has the potential to develop into a valuable player.

2) Moran is having trouble with pop flies and positioning his feet at first, but he has demonstrated that he can make a throw; a feat that Bell cannot seem to grasp let alone master. Moran is not a big time player, but it appears that he can regularly deliver more production than Bell. As noted by others, with the exception of a 2 - 3 month tear, Bell has done little at the plate.

3) Why Riddle? He has no future with this team. Hayes should start every game. He may not produce much this year, but the Bucs need to know what he can deliver. Riddle should play no more than once per week.

4) I know Polanco had a few hits last night, but geez, does he really need to hit 4th?

5) On a positive note, good to see Reynolds back and popping a home run. He needs to demonstrate that last year was the norm and not an outlier.

It doesn't really matter, but hate the thought of being swept by the Cubs. It would be good to win today.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

417F7A726179797252776073160 wrote: Moran or Bell long term, who you got?

Not just "right now". He hasn't done a whole lot since last June, or he hasn't played up to the talent level he has. That's been a theme with this organization.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 

I know I'm going to sound like a "get off my lawn" old guy but, while I think the players today are every bit as good as players from all the other eras, I don't think the game is better.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

7A2C3A2E213B2B202D3A082F25292124662B480 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 

I know I'm going to sound like a "get off my lawn" old guy but, while I think the players today are every bit as good as players from all the other eras, I don't think the game is better.
that a boy Tucker- single, 2RBI's 2-4 today
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

043A3F37243C3C3717322536530 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 

that a boy Tucker- single, 2RBI's  2-4 today
Good for Cole Tucker. Big 2 out single.