Game Thread - 9/15 - Keystone Bumblers @ Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

See what I mean? Make that three strike outs in three at bats.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

382022252532232439382E4B0 wrote: Just exactly when is Musgrove supposed to become a good pitcher? And the sad thing is that there's not a single pitcher on the staff who's had success and can offer advice to anyone else.
I would say Musgrove is pitching to get out of Pittsburg.  I hate to think that but what else can you think.  He's got good stuff but he may have decided for his career the Pirates aren't the ticket.  Kinda like Cole he definitely wasn't giving his all the last year and half and that's pretty much guaranteed.  He wanted out of the Burg sooner than later.
I don't think Musgrove can find another level with another team. This is as good as he gets. He was very ordinary as a rookie in 2016. Halfway thru 2017 the Astros removed him from the rotation with a 6+ ERA. In the 2nd half he excelled as a 1 or 2 inning reliever (1.44 ERA). The Pirates naturally, thinking they are always the smartest one in the room, decided this failed starter could anchor their rotation. To no one's surprise except the Pirates, the Astros' failed starter has been a mediocre to poor starter for the Pirates.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

712731252A30202B263103242E222A2F6D20430 wrote: See what I mean?  Make that three strike outs in three at bats.
The Reds announcer called Polanco "a sucker for a high fastball." I'd say the Pirates are suckers for playing him.

BC doesn't have to defend the moves of the prior regime. BC wasn't the one who said Polanco would be part of a dream OF. So I just don't see why Polanco continues to play as if he's too good not to. They are looking at players so why waste time with Polanco? There a solid body of evidence that at his very best he could achieve mediocrity. He's a 7 year veteran, a career .247 hitter with a career best .258. Not a good fielder or base runner. And not even a legit power hitter with only 2 seasons of low 20 HRs as his best. And 4 SBs in the last 4 years. I'd rather see anybody play than Polanco. He has nothing more to prove.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Mustgroove is to Cole what Stallings was to Dixon.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

13 games left and a 2.5 games lead for the #1 pick.

That is all that matters this season?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F6A69697C576A626077050 wrote: 13 games left and a 2.5 games lead for the #1 pick.

getting the first pick three years in a row may be the best thing that could happen. (if BC and company are any good).
steve49

Post by steve49 »

614746514757240 wrote: 13 games left and a 2.5 games lead for the #1 pick.

getting the first pick three years in a row may be the best thing that could happen. (if BC and company are any good).[/quote

We really don't know if the worst record picks first... do we ?

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: See what I mean?  Make that three strike outs in three at bats.
The Reds announcer called Polanco "a sucker for a high fastball." I'd say the Pirates are suckers for playing him.

BC doesn't have to defend the moves of the prior regime. BC wasn't the one who said Polanco would be part of a dream OF. So I just don't see why Polanco continues to play as if he's too good not to. They are looking at players so why waste time with Polanco? There a solid body of evidence that at his very best he could achieve mediocrity. He's a 7 year veteran, a career .247 hitter with a career best .258. Not a good fielder or base runner. And not even a legit power hitter with only 2 seasons of low 20 HRs as his best. And 4 SBs in the last 4 years. I'd rather see anybody play than Polanco. He has nothing more to prove.

The Pirates kept saying how good he looked in both Spring Training sessions.  This new management didn't know what he turns into once the season starts? I don't know how.  His body of work over his previous seasons should've made it apparent.  They now have a bunch of games to know.  Enough already.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2274627679637378756250777D71797C3E73100 wrote: See what I mean?  Make that three strike outs in three at bats.

The Pirates kept saying how good he looked in both Spring Training sessions.  This new management didn't know what he turns into once the season starts?  I don't know how.  His body of work over his previous seasons should've made it apparent.  They now have a bunch of games to know.  Enough already.
I truly hope BC takes a fresh approach and doesn't rely on existing reports about players from before he was hired. I suspect he's being told how much talent Polanco has and how they need to bring it out of him. And if he's listening to the old organizational BS about Polanco then he's probably listening to them on other players too (Neverauskas?, Bell at 1B?). A huge problem this organization has had is its incompetence in assessing talent. BC needs to say "Enough already. If these guys can't do the job after so many chances we'll find someone else."

But this idea that if they keep playing Polanco he'll become the player they always wished he would be but never was...or that if they keep putting Bell at 1B he'll become adequate....or if they keep pitching Neveraukas he'll become a great reliever and pave the way for the Pirates to tap into that rich Lithuanian pitching market ::) is not accomplishing anything.

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I've said for a few years now and it's still true ... ALL of the Pirates starting pitchers would, at best be, a No. 4 or 5 starter on a good team. The Pirates hype them up as being "good" and being "No. 1 or No. 2 starters" ... but they are only good and No. 1 starters BY PIRATE STANDARDS ... and that is by far the lowest bar and lowest standard in MLB. On a real team, the likes of Musgrove, Williams, Archer, etc... would be a decent No. 5 starter.