Chad Kuhl

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Chad Kuhl

Post by SCBucco »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: This feels to me as though they are treating the team like a AAA team. Experimenting with people in various roles to see how they do. They aren't playing to lose but they aren't playing to win, either. It's more like one big lab experiment.
I think that's exactly what's going on. But they aren't even doing that well.

They know Bell can't play 1B. Yet they continue to let him botch plays there while Moran DHs. They haven't even taken a serious look at Moran as an everyday 1Bman. 

A year ago they said thjey wanted to groom Newman as a utility INF-OF guy. But when Gonzalez got hurt early in 2019 Newman strictly played SS and did well. Meanwhile Frazier was a GG finalist last year. So this year they move Frazier to the OF and move Newman to 2B where he is not as good as Frazier so that Gonzalez can play SS. And Gonzalez, who is supposed to be versatile has yet to play an inning at 2B this year.

They haven't evaluated Tucker at SS for even 1 inning this year.

They aren't taking a look at Osuna, who has essentially been kicked to the curb all year. But they can't seem to get enough of Riddle.

Last year they had high hopes for Jason Martin. But in this year of evaluation he has 9 ABs.

I'm fine with using this crazy mini season for evaluation. But I think they're doing such a poor job of it that there is little they have learned that they didn't already know. 

Impressed, you managed this without mentioning Polanco by name.
Surgnbuck

Chad Kuhl

Post by Surgnbuck »

I see this as nothing more than an extended spring training. It gives them a little more to evaluate though, because the games actually count, the players stats count. For the players, this could be the audition that gets them a part for a long career in some capacity, with corresponding big paydays to set them for life.

For the fans, we get to see if there is any nugget to build around. We get to see if there is any part of this team that looks like management could say, "this is our strength. This is our identity."

I see the only hope for respectability is in the starting rotation, and that is still more hope than any reality. Grasping at straws, so to speak. A returning Taillon, Keller, Brault, Brubaker, and Musgrove. That's pretty scary to think, that's the strength of the team.

There is absolutely no power on this team. Bell had his big half season. This team whiffs way too much for a team that has an abysmal OBP to go with it. When you have a collection of players who can neither get on base or put the ball over the fence 40-50 times in a season, you have pure hot garbage.

Honestly, as I look at this team, though it would be impractical and nonsensical to think it could happen, they pretty much need to clean house. As much as I like Hayes, when an entire broadcast focuses on every little thing he does well during a game to include tying his shoes, it's telling this franchise has absolutely nothing in the way of impact players.

Not a single one. I remember as a kid, even the worst MLB teams had at least one or two HOF or All Star level player on it.
shedman

Chad Kuhl

Post by shedman »

4E686F7A737F687E761D0 wrote: I see this as nothing more than an extended spring training. It gives them a little more to evaluate though, because the games actually count, the players stats count. For the players, this could be the audition that gets them a part for a long career in some capacity, with corresponding big paydays to set them for life.

For the fans, we get to see if there is any nugget to build around. We get to see if there is any part of this team that looks like management could say, "this is our strength. This is our identity."

I see the only hope for respectability is in the starting rotation, and that is still more hope than any reality. Grasping at straws, so to speak. A returning Taillon, Keller, Brault, Brubaker, and Musgrove. That's pretty scary to think, that's the strength of the team.

There is absolutely no power on this team. Bell had his big half season. This team whiffs way too much for a team that has an abysmal OBP to go with it. When you have a collection of players who can neither get on base or put the ball over the fence 40-50 times in a season, you have pure hot garbage.

Honestly, as I look at this team, though it would be impractical and nonsensical to think it could happen, they pretty much need to clean house. As much as I like Hayes, when an entire broadcast focuses on every little thing he does well during a game to include tying his shoes, it's telling this franchise has absolutely nothing in the way of impact players.

Not a single one. I remember as a kid, even the worst MLB teams had at least one or two HOF or All Star level player on it.
_______

Rebuild #17???
Surgnbuck

Chad Kuhl

Post by Surgnbuck »

The way they've gone about rebuilding is the engineering equivalent of building a bridge, and driving heavier and heavier trucks over it till it collapses, and weigh the vehicle that made it collapse to know how much the bridge holds. Then you decide if that's good enough.

So you have people in charge of building something and they don't seem qualified, and the people hired aren't really that good at actually building it, because someone should have been able to stand out and realize the bridge that's being made isn't that good but if there were one, they'd be sent packing for a day laborer, but no matter what, what ever bridge is up there, people will drive on it.

That's why I own a Spark.
skinnyhorse

Chad Kuhl

Post by skinnyhorse »

1F393E2B222E392F274C0 wrote: I see this as nothing more than an extended spring training. It gives them a little more to evaluate though, because the games actually count, the players stats count. For the players, this could be the audition that gets them a part for a long career in some capacity, with corresponding big paydays to set them for life.

I don't see a Allstar caliber player on our team right now. That's has to be the fault of NH who traded off those players (Cole, Glasnow, Meadows) for a box of rocks. Goes to show you, how important decision of the GM is critical. Realistically maybe Hayes could become a star, maybe Reynolds now a long, long shot. They need to get some more of the kids up (Cruz, Gonzales) quickly to see what they have. Please don't wait until they are 23 or 24 to bring them up. We need to see if we have something, i,m so tired of waiting years and years and get a Polanco, Glasnow, Meadows and have possibly there best years gone.
GreenWeenie

Chad Kuhl

Post by GreenWeenie »

Maybe it's just me, but writing for myself- I hope that it's another 100 years before we get another Polanco.
MaineBucs

Chad Kuhl

Post by MaineBucs »

First, this comment should in no way be construed to be in support of NH's trade for Chris Archer. NH went for a name rather than talent and clearly got hosed in the deal.

That said, I would note that Austin Meadows has been quite ordinary this season. From MLB Trade Rumors:

"Meadows began this season on the COVID-19 injured list and has batted .205/.296/.371 with four home runs and 50 strikeouts in 152 plate appearances since he debuted Aug. 4."

Sadly, I also recognize that the above stats would make him one of the best hitting Pirate OF'er this season.