Pirate Plaza-Retired Numbers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

517477776249747C7E691B0 wrote: Here is my list:

I begin with the player's who have their # retired and don't have some kind of statue around PNC.

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

#40 Danny Murtaugh - Manager

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP

That’s quite a list Possum

Maybe instead of using retired numbers, they should call it the Pirate Hall of Fame
I like the list that Possum posted, and it is a good idea to name it the Pirates Hall of Fame. I think Vern Law, and Lloyd Waner should be candidates as well.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Since Bob Veale’s name was brought up; I saw him pitch many times when I was a kid.

I remember his glasses would fog up so frequently because he would sweat profusely. He would break out a huge handkerchief to wipe down his glasses.

Can you imagine what must have been going through the batters mind. Here is this guy that throws 100+ miles per hour ( I know that they didn’t have a radar gone back then, but I’m sure if they did Veale would have hot that number regularly) and his glasses are fogged up. Had to be a scary thought for the batter.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: The Pretty Good Hall.

The Hall of Guys We Would've Dumped If They Played These Days

The Hall of Guys Who Played For a While And Had Some Good Seasons

The Hall of Guys Who Weren't Hall of Famers  ;) 
And of course the Hall of Utility Infielders.

The Hall of Slow, Scrappy, White Guys
Javy

Post by Javy »

Yeah, they would have to make the Pirates HOF. Retiring numbers would be a problem, especially with Vern Law - he wore #20, the same as Pie Traynor.

Richie Hebner was also wearing it when they retired he number and he switched to 3.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Of course, a lot of guys didn't have numbers. Here's some earlier guys who were pretty good:

Babe Adams (natch)

Sam Leever

Deacon Phillippe

Ray Kremer

Rip Sewell

Jake Beckley

Fred Clarke

Tommy Leach
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

313D3C676E676F62657A60570 wrote: Here is my list:

I begin with the player's who have their # retired and don't have some kind of statue around PNC.

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP

Maybe instead of using retired numbers, they should call it the Pirate Hall of Fame
I like the list that Possum posted, and it is a good idea to name it the Pirates Hall of Fame. I think Vern Law, and Lloyd Waner should be candidates as well.

Thanks fjk for jogging my memory. I saw Vern Law play most of his career. It is a shame that his arm gave out on him. In this day, Vern could have had TJ surgery and maybe played a few more years. And Paul Waner, you bet he should be on the list.

If we call it a HOF what do we do with the Clemente, Stargell, Maz, Honus Wagner and Kiner statues? Perhaps we just find a place at PNC Park and install plaques on a wall for all fans to see for FREE! That would be something!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Easy.

BOB will have Cherington dump them for a couple LMG suspect statues.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

67464E674C44230 wrote: Here is my list:

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP

Thanks fjk for jogging my memory.  I saw Vern Law play most of his career.  It is a shame that his arm gave out on him.  In this day, Vern could have had TJ surgery and maybe played a few more years.  And Paul Waner, you bet he should be on the list. 

If we call it a HOF what do we do with the Clemente, Stargell, Maz, Honus Wagner and Kiner statues?  Perhaps we just find a place at PNC Park and install plaques on a wall for all fans to see for FREE!  That would be something!

I believe it was rotator cuff surgery that Law needed.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

63424A634840270 wrote: Here is my list:

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP

Thanks fjk for jogging my memory.  I saw Vern Law play most of his career.  It is a shame that his arm gave out on him.  In this day, Vern could have had TJ surgery and maybe played a few more years.  And Paul Waner, you bet he should be on the list. 

If we call it a HOF what do we do with the Clemente, Stargell, Maz, Honus Wagner and Kiner statues?  Perhaps we just find a place at PNC Park and install plaques on a wall for all fans to see for FREE!  That would be something!

I don't know if it is true but my Dad used to say that Law pitched in an extra inning game that destroyed his arm. Maybe pitched 18 innings in a day. I will also say that Christy Mathewson (in his book Pitching in a Pinch) talked about saving pitches for better batters and about batters being yellow (I guess afraid about inside pitches). Anyway, he evaluated the opposition and was prepared to go 9. I think at the time Vernon Law pitched he would have had a similar attitude even though it was 50 years later.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

644243544252210 wrote: Here is my list:

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP

I don't know if it is true but my Dad used to say that Law pitched in an extra inning game that destroyed his arm.  Maybe pitched 18 innings in a day.  I will also say that Christy Mathewson (in his book Pitching in a Pinch) talked about saving pitches for better batters and about batters being yellow (I guess afraid about inside pitches). Anyway, he evaluated the opposition and was prepared to go 9.  I think at the time Vernon Law pitched he would have had a similar attitude even though it was 50 years later.

Law pitched 18 innings on July 19, 1955. But his arm was fine. His career was just taking off at that point. Two of his best seasons were 1959 (18-9) and 1960 (20-9, Cy Young). His injury was shoulder related. Rotator cuff. That was the result of suffering a sprained ankle on Sept 25 when some of the guys got rowdy on the team bus after clinching the pennant in Milwaukee. Law tried to avoid the horseplay but got grabbed and twisted and his ankle got sprained.

He made his next scheduled start on Sept 30 and got shelled in 3 innings of work. He said the sore ankle prevented him from throwing his curve. He only had 5 days to rest before the WS started. He altered his pitching motion to relieve the pain from his ankle. He pitched well in the WS, making 3 starts in 9 days on a sprained ankle. But he put too much strain on his shoulder and could barely pitch the next year. Apparently, they decided surgery wasn't necessary but it took 3 years before he said he was pain free and 5 years before he was back to his old self, having one of his finest seasons in 1965 at age 35 (17-9, 2.15 ERA in 217 innings).