Looking Ahead To The 40 Man Winter Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

695C4B4B40794B4B40474B2E0 wrote: Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.
I am one fan who thinks it will be a very interesting offseason. There should be several moves involving players going and coming.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5B57560D040D05080F100A3D0 wrote: Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.
I am one fan who thinks it will be a very interesting offseason. There should be several moves involving players going and coming.

Usually, I'm like you in that determining the 40-man roster in the offseason is a big deal. I'll admit I'm not all that knowledgeable about players 26 through 40 but, other than Reynolds and Hayes, is there anyone on the 25-man who the team would lose that would cause even the least concern? As for the other 15 players, they're unproven at the major league level. Are any of them so good that if lost, will make any difference? Would any other major league team want any of those guys anyway?

This organization is remarkably, historically bad. It's not close to being competitive. It needs a complete makeover of its talent. We know an influx is not coming by way of free agency. And it's unlikely to come from trades because BC has no one to trade. It's going to come from the draft and international signings, primarily because it's the least expensive way. Regardless, it'll take at least three years to see the results of that labor. Hope it works.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0C5A4C58574D5D565B4C7E59535F5752105D3E0 wrote: Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.

Usually, I'm like you in that determining the 40-man roster in the offseason is a big deal.  I'll admit I'm not all that knowledgeable about players 26 through 40 but, other than Reynolds and Hayes, is there anyone on the 25-man who the team would lose that would cause even the least concern?  As for the other 15 players, they're unproven at the major league level.  Are any of them so good that if lost, will make any difference?  Would any other major league team want any of those guys anyway?

This organization is remarkably, historically bad.  It's not close to being competitive.  It needs a complete makeover of its talent.  We know an influx is not coming by way of free agency.  And it's  unlikely to come from trades because BC has no one to trade.  It's going to come from the draft and international signings, primarily because it's the least expensive way.  Regardless, it'll take at least three years to see the results of that labor.  Hope it works.

Ben C. will have an easier job figuring out the 40 man roster than any other GM this winter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

486E6F786E7E0D0 wrote: Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.

Usually, I'm like you in that determining the 40-man roster in the offseason is a big deal.  I'll admit I'm not all that knowledgeable about players 26 through 40 but, other than Reynolds and Hayes, is there anyone on the 25-man who the team would lose that would cause even the least concern?  As for the other 15 players, they're unproven at the major league level.  Are any of them so good that if lost, will make any difference?  Would any other major league team want any of those guys anyway?

This organization is remarkably, historically bad.  It's not close to being competitive.  It needs a complete makeover of its talent.  We know an influx is not coming by way of free agency.  And it's  unlikely to come from trades because BC has no one to trade.  It's going to come from the draft and international signings, primarily because it's the least expensive way.  Regardless, it'll take at least three years to see the results of that labor.  Hope it works.

Ben C. will have an easier job figuring out the 40 man roster than any other GM this winter. 

When you're right, you're right.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Is Sam Howard losing his roster spot? 0-2 with ERA of 9.00 in last 7 games counting tonight. 4 homers in about 20 innings.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

3D31306B626B636E69766C5B0 wrote: Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.

I'd like to know what you mean by "interesting." That's not meant to be harsh or sarcastic at all. More out of curiousity.

I expect no significant change from what we've seen in off-seasons years past. I don't expect anything of great significance in terms of external talent acquisition. At most, we could see a Francisco Liriano-esque thing. He turned out to be very good when we first landed him, and I would take a guy like that. But, a top-shelf guy? No. That hasn't been the Pirates way in some time.

Anything less than mid-tier, I don't find all that interesting.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0F29283F29394A0 wrote: Is Sam Howard losing his roster spot? 0-2 with ERA of 9.00 in last 7 games counting tonight. 4 homers in about 20 innings.
He has not been very good in his last few outings. They may look to find another lefty to take his place next year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Do they have to keep 40? ;)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

557F744473656569060 wrote: Around November 20th each year teams have to set a roster to add players in order to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Currently the Pirates have several players like Taillion, Burdi, and Evans on the IL which will need to be added to the 40 man roster by November  along with a few minor league players. In my opinion the following 7 players could be released to bring the roster to 40 without adding any minor league players. Archer, Murphy, Neverauskas, Riddle, Holland, Kela, and Rios. Let’s assume the Bucs add 4 minor league players to protect from the Rule 5 draft and it becomes a little more difficult to determine which players may get released. The 4 players could be Osuna, Kramer, Tropeano,and Bashlor. Before the November date the Bucs could make a 2 player for 1 player trade which would open a spot on the roster. It is going to be an interesting offseason for the Pirates.

I am likewise always interested in who we'll keep and who we'll cast off, fjk.

Position players I let go are Maile and Riddle. Then I give up on 8 pitchers, in alphabetical order:

Archer

bashlor

Feliz

Holland

Kela

Neverauskas

Rios

Waddell

Of course the Bucs will also try to peddle their higher priced talent, but who's willing to take a flyer on Polanco?

Damn shame about Evans and Alford. Hope they can recapture their 2020 performances next season.

I'm willing to bet the Pirates keep Feliz since he throws hard - granted doesn't know where its going alot of times. Once the Bucs acquired him, I made reference we got the second coming of Arquamedes Cammeniero.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Do they have to keep 40?    ;)

I was thinking the same thing. I just went to the roster and wrote down the dudes I would kick to the curb and that list is longer than the keep list.