Aramis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

Aramis

Post by BellevueBuc »

301611040D01160008630 wrote: Two things that really amaze me about the trade:

How the Pirates were financially no better than the guy mowing your lawn, living paycheck to paycheck, even though they had a brand new house to live in and didn't pay much in the way of rent. How were they that bad off financially after PNC Park opened to insanely huge crowds for an insanely bad team?

The other is how could MLB allow such a one sided trade when the Pirates were essentially being forced to make a trade? Why wasn't something mandated during the offseason? IIRC, the Pirates were absolutely eviscerated for raising ticket prices that season, after a record attendance at PNC Park? They obviously had financial issues that were almost beyond repair. This led to them being granted the All-Star game so soon.

How they weren't contracted or moved prior to PNC is beyond me. Enter Bob Nutting. Now the Pirates appear to be rock solid financially. We still have the 100 loss teams, but at least now when they make a bad trade to dump salary, the return is simply due to incompetence, not out of sheer financial desperation.

They took on debt from previous owners, and McClatchy was highly leveraged.  His mismanagement is why the team was cash poor and why Bob Nutting is now the owner.

Does not excuse the trade. 

I am not sure what MLB could do, it was a bad trade, but they cannot step in because of GM incompetence.

No matter how  someone views it, something like this was what Bowie Kuhn tried stopping back in his day, especially with Charles Finley in Oakland. The Marlins were the updated version. At least those teams won something first.

Finley was trying to sell players. Big difference. There are restrictions in place that require approval. MLB cannot just stop a trade because teams are trading an established player for prospects.
bsnd221

Aramis

Post by bsnd221 »

I have been following on this board for 20 years, first time poster! (To this day, this “trade” upsets me more regarding the pirates and the economics of mlb than any other topic). 3 things I have never understood:

1. As others have already mentioned, why make this move over a week before the trading deadline?

2. Why trade Aramis in the division? They honestly would have been better putting him on waivers and having a team like the Padres claim him so we didn’t have to face him 18 times a year.

3. If we needed to dump debt, why not trade Brian Giles in July when we could have traded him to any team vs the first team to claim him on waivers in August? As it was, we were lucky the team with the worst record offered a fair deal in Oliver Perez and Jason Bay.
ArnoldRothstein

Aramis

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

1. As others have already mentioned, why make this move over a week before the trading deadline?

I think that they had written off his big year as a fluke, and were just badly underrating his abilities. His salary was due to double to $6 million the next season. I think they saw him as a bad contract whatever their other finances were, so I don't think they expected that significant bidding would develop for him.
johnfluharty

Aramis

Post by johnfluharty »

0A2D24242D3E3D2D0A3D2B480 wrote: Two things that really amaze me about the trade:

How the Pirates were financially no better than the guy mowing your lawn, living paycheck to paycheck, even though they had a brand new house to live in and didn't pay much in the way of rent. How were they that bad off financially after PNC Park opened to insanely huge crowds for an insanely bad team?

The other is how could MLB allow such a one sided trade when the Pirates were essentially being forced to make a trade? Why wasn't something mandated during the offseason? IIRC, the Pirates were absolutely eviscerated for raising ticket prices that season, after a record attendance at PNC Park? They obviously had financial issues that were almost beyond repair. This led to them being granted the All-Star game so soon.

How they weren't contracted or moved prior to PNC is beyond me. Enter Bob Nutting. Now the Pirates appear to be rock solid financially. We still have the 100 loss teams, but at least now when they make a bad trade to dump salary, the return is simply due to incompetence, not out of sheer financial desperation.

They took on debt from previous owners, and McClatchy was highly leveraged.  His mismanagement is why the team was cash poor and why Bob Nutting is now the owner.

I am not sure what MLB could do, it was a bad trade, but they cannot step in because of GM incompetence.

I have often wondered if Nutting offered to solve any of the team's financial problems at that time in exchange for a bigger percentage of the team.
BellevueBuc

Aramis

Post by BellevueBuc »

0A0F080E060C150801121419600 wrote:

Two things that really amaze me about the trade:

I have often wondered if Nutting offered to solve any of the team's financial problems at that time in exchange for a bigger percentage of the team. 

That is exactly how he became principal owner. He had loans converted to shares.
ChitownBucco

Aramis

Post by ChitownBucco »

it was going to be Krissy Benson

but that cream puff had to complain of some arm pain right before deadline

MLB was making the Pirates get rid of payroll, as they had too much debt or something like that, if I recall