Will The Bucs Make A Move Before The Christmas Break

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

597E75561B0 wrote: Totally agree that patience is the best course.  I am for trading Marte but the return has to be good.  He can be a frustrating player but I think he is still a really good player and don't want to sell low.

I tend to be an optimist but with the coaching and GM change, now would be a good time for a big signing in the $20m range.  They would still have a low payroll but it could at least give some hope.  At least as long as it isn't a player that sucks and they are just doing it for PR.   :) 

I wonder if new management has resulted in increased season ticket sales.  No doubt tickets were going to be a difficult sell if NH stayed.

I guess business ticket sales won't be impacted much but those bought by individual fans must be a hard sell.

Don't forget, they have a new TV contract that will almost certainly be larger than the previous one.

They have been silent on the terms of the new TV contract. It is a little surprising that someone in the local media hasn’t heard anything about the contract.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Did we ever hear about the old contract. I know there were rumors but I'm not sure how well-founded they were. They seem to be pretty quiet about that.
BenM

Post by BenM »

4B49535543260 wrote: Did we ever hear about the old contract. I know there were rumors but I'm not sure how well-founded they were. They seem to be pretty quiet about that.

I'm pretty sure we never officially found out the terms of the old contract. Which is true of many teams. But but I agree that it is weird that we didn't even get good reporting on what it might be. A lot of times, the beat writers in other cities are able to get a sense of the magnitude of the contract.

Not here. My assumption that they will get more in revenue is based on the fact that all live sports rights have increased dramatically in value since the Bucs signed their last TV contract.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB Trade Rumors posted the following regarding total revenue for MLB (don't know where Forbes gets these numbers):

Declining attendance be damned—MLB’s revenue streams are flowing fine. According to a Saturday piece from Forbes,[highlight] gross revenues for the league were a record $10.7 billion for 2019, up from $10.3 billion[/highlight] last year, according to industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. And the upward slant should continue in future years; as noted by Forbes, the league’s deal with Fox television kicks in during the 2022 season and that deal alone has a reported value of $5.1 billion. For those wondering, MLB player payroll and benefits came in at $4.7 billion last year—leaving plenty of pie to go around for administrators, front-office types and ownership figures. [highlight]The league has seen adjusted revenue growth of 386% since 1992[/highlight].
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Luke Maile and a few minor league free agent signings is all that the Pirates have done so far this offseason to upgrade the team. Yes they had a late start due to the firings and new hires, but lately we notice that the Tigers, Reds and Brewers etc are signing free agents. The Pirates are not going to sign the top tier free agents, but there are pitchers and outfielders who should be in their price range. I am sure Ben Cherington and Derek Shelton are talking to agents and even players about opportunities to play for the Pirates, but I am growing a little impatient with the lack of player acquisitions. Just read the Blue Jays are in agreement with Travis Shaw that is the type of free agent the Pirates should be inquiring about. He is in their price range, and he is a candidate to have a bounce back season.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I wouldn't be patient about moving Marte. Even in his six full seasons, he's averaged only 138 games. He was back up to 16 HBP last season. He could be hitting .330 at the deadline, and be worth nothing because his thumb is in a cast.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Have there been any reports on Tom Koehler? He may fill a rotation or swingman spot on the team if he has recovered from his surgery.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

All can rest well, they just resigned Jake Elmore to a minor league contract. You may change the crew members but it is of NO use when the captain of the boat is the same!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Complain all we want about the lack of movement to acquiring an affordable FA or trade a major piece for some decent prospects. The reason we have these complaints is due to BLB and his late decision to clean the management house and then begin the management team rebuild.

I will not be surprised that BC will take his time before he goes all out to rebuild the scouting and development staffs. As we all know MLB teams generally do not want to lose an executive if all it will be is a lateral move so in someways BC is handcuffed right now do to the lateness of his hiring. I look for BC to analyze just what he has in his scouting and development systems and tell those in power to change their scheme of things. And if they don't or BC just wants to bring in someone he has confidence in it will not be until after next season when some of them may be at the end of a contract with their current team.

Right now patience is a virtue. No matter who the Bucs sign now it would be to no avail in making them a better team in 2020.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

A lot of guys that I felt were in the price range that could help have gone. I see a story in the Trip that Cherrington wants to upgrade the offense. With what exactly a career .197 hitter at catcher? There is nothing going to be happening anytime soon as far as bringing in good talent, young and veteran that can help. Cole Calhoun would be a big help, but that ain't going to happen.