What Move do the Pirates need to make?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Post by shedman »

The one move I would like to see is to sign George Springer.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would go with Bobster's suggestion (or even a less expensive alternative like Molina. A catcher with a strong personality can lift a team and get more from it than perhaps any other single position. Remember our Yankee catchers.
Javy

Post by Javy »

I would sign Realmuto also - a strong catcher would help in the development of the young pitchers. As a hitter, he could anchor the line-up out of the 3 or 5 spot.

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I offer two thoughts.

You first ask --- What is the One Move the Pirates should make this off-season? So --- My first answer is based on the reality of Nutting's fiscal constraints.

I would direct BC to bring in this best minor league talent he can acquire by being willing to trade nearly any (Hayes excepted) of the current players on what is the 25 man roster. I was actually somewhat heartened by the rumor of a Yankee trade that could involve both Bell and Tallion, but more short-term excitement soon evolved into the fear that the only reason Tallion was included was to help move Bell's salary off the roster; a trade that would not focus on an infusion of future talent, but on moving Bell.

My response to your scenario of Bob is on Mars, or seeing how long it takes to get there, on his way to Mars.

There are only a few marque free agents this year, most of whom were noted in the replies from other Board members; Realmuto, Bauer, and Springer, and perhaps Ozuna. For the Bucs to change the (deservedly) perceived impression of the Bucs, the Bucs would need to sign someone that emphatically states to all that there is a new way of doing business in Pittsburgh. We can and will sign the best talent, and we are ready to compete. A marque trade could do the same, perhaps Lindor, but that would involve giving up more talent than the Bucs have. And, unfortunately, there is no one on the current roster who the Bucs could sign to an extension that would garner the same fan-fare.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

7651585851424151764157340 wrote: No idea that you're new, so welcome!

I don't want to be a target of any interplanetary warfare, so as much as I'd like to leave BOB on Mars, I guess we'll have to take him back at some point.

To quote our late friend from the now defunct PMB, Hostage, "we've got more holes than Swiss Cheese."  It was true then (before we had our post-season "run) and it's so much more true today.  So, ANY move is a good one.  That's why I'm disappointed that we haven't had even one (NOT the 25 that certain people give the impression that I was looking for.)

I have to say SP.  IDC what anybody says, our SP isn't good enough to get us anywhere.  So, I would begin there by looking at the stud available FA.  We don't have squat to offer up in a trade, and our opponents aren't looking for bridges.  So, with BOB somewhere in the solar system, I would take some of his bundle of cash that he has sitting collecting interest and dividends in First of Wheeling and lure Trevor Bauer, who will gladly come to The Burgh if that stack of money is high enough.  He can live in Tahiti or Monte Carlo the rest of the year, or anywhere he wants, but I want him pitching for us. 

We might not go the distance with Trevor Bauer, but, provided fans might someday be allowed to go to games, he would at least be a reason to pay for a ticket once in a while.  Give me something- anything- worth seeing.  Trevor Bauer is that guy.

Thanks!

Great response as well!  Bauer is a really good choice, not only is he a workhorse and durable, but he was obviously very good, propelling the Reds to the playoffs, where anything can happen, especially with a dominate SP like him.

Good point on trades as well, the Pirates obviously have some guys they can trade, but they are not going to get much impact back.  Those will all likely end up being for low level prospects that we likely never hear from again.

Buying a Bauer or a Springer, a man I've hoped we'd land for a long time, sends a message; a loud and clear one, that the Pirates mean business. Get one, and other players take notice.

All of a sudden, the Pirates are a team to consider, and not just for players who have no other choice.

Archer was supposed to be one of those guys, but Bauer or Springer are more clear.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: I don't think any one position player will have much of an impact if he's surrounded by the quality of players who were here in 2020.  Opposing teams will simply never pitch to him (like what happened to Brian Giles).  To me, the solution is to find three young players like Giles when he was in Cleveland, stuck behind other good players and unable to get on the field.  The trouble remains, however, that the Pirates have little to offer other teams in exchange for those players.

We all know teams can't win without good starting pitching but I can't imagine an outstanding starter signing here as a free agent.  The lack of support from both the offense and defense are considerable.  Those types of pitchers want to compete for titles every year and it's going to be at least three seasons before that happens here.  I can't see a really good pitcher giving up three years to an organization like the Pirates with its recent history of poor ownership and management.

The reality here is that, with an owner like Nutting, the acquisition of young talent is the best way to build a winning team.  No one wants to hear that when seeing other teams, especially when similar market-sized teams like Milwaukee and Cincinnati do it, signing free agents.  But with Nutting in charge, it's never going to change.  He's the problem.

True on the position player.  Have to hope the Pirates 2020 season was just full of bad because of COVID.  Maybe Reynolds sucked because he was away from his newborn and wife? 

[highlight]I believe money talks[/highlight], if they offer someone like Bauer enough money, he will come here.  That guy has a tremendous ego, and he would take the opportunity to be the highest paid player, especially if you are paying him more than his rival, Cole. Those two have hated each other for a decade plus.

To a certain extent, that's true.  And I know many of the players keeps score by how much money they make.  But if there's an opportunity to play for multiple titles with an organization committed to winning, a serious player would lean towards signing there as opposed to with a club like the Pirates who, although paying a couple million more, don't have the stomach for taking the additional risks necessary to win.  But I do agree there are players who only care about getting the most money they can.

Like a Manny Machado- got a lot of money- don't hear much about him
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

So, we are able to go for the absurd for the Pirates with the one move? Sign Realmuto or Springer.

Realistic move ... Sign Alex Colome and then trade him at the TDL for a nice haul.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4F5F5E697F7F731C0 wrote: So, we are able to go for the absurd for the Pirates with the one move?  Sign Realmuto or Springer.

Realistic move ... Sign Alex Colome and then trade him at the TDL for a nice haul.

While BOB is on his trip to Mars and is unable to object why not be grossly absurd and sign both Realmuto and Springer. ;D
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6154434348714343484F43260 wrote: No idea that you're new, so welcome!

I don't want to be a target of any interplanetary warfare, so as much as I'd like to leave BOB on Mars, I guess we'll have to take him back at some point.

To quote our late friend from the now defunct PMB, Hostage, "we've got more holes than Swiss Cheese."  It was true then (before we had our post-season "run) and it's so much more true today.  So, ANY move is a good one.  That's why I'm disappointed that we haven't had even one (NOT the 25 that certain people give the impression that I was looking for.)

I have to say SP.  IDC what anybody says, our SP isn't good enough to get us anywhere.  So, I would begin there by looking at the stud available FA.  We don't have squat to offer up in a trade, and our opponents aren't looking for bridges.  So, with BOB somewhere in the solar system, I would take some of his bundle of cash that he has sitting collecting interest and dividends in First of Wheeling and lure Trevor Bauer, who will gladly come to The Burgh if that stack of money is high enough.  He can live in Tahiti or Monte Carlo the rest of the year, or anywhere he wants, but I want him pitching for us. 

We might not go the distance with Trevor Bauer, but, provided fans might someday be allowed to go to games, he would at least be a reason to pay for a ticket once in a while.  Give me something- anything- worth seeing.  Trevor Bauer is that guy.

Thanks!

Great response as well!  Bauer is a really good choice, not only is he a workhorse and durable, but he was obviously very good, propelling the Reds to the playoffs, where anything can happen, especially with a dominate SP like him.

Good point on trades as well, the Pirates obviously have some guys they can trade, but they are not going to get much impact back.  Those will all likely end up being for low level prospects that we likely never hear from again.

Buying a Bauer or a Springer, a man I've hoped we'd land for a long time, sends a message; a loud and clear one, that the Pirates mean business.  Get one, and other players take notice. 

All of a sudden, the Pirates are a team to consider, and not just for players who have no other choice.

Archer was supposed to be one of those guys, but Bauer or Springer are more clear.

those guys are 25 million plus a year players, maybe 35 million for Bauer. That would certainly send a message that the Bucs no longer think one player shouldn't make a large portion of the payroll (of course the easiest way to remedy that is pay somebody else a lot of money too).
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

043A3F37243C3C3717322536530 wrote: I don't think any one position player will have much of an impact if he's surrounded by the quality of players who were here in 2020.  Opposing teams will simply never pitch to him (like what happened to Brian Giles).  To me, the solution is to find three young players like Giles when he was in Cleveland, stuck behind other good players and unable to get on the field.  The trouble remains, however, that the Pirates have little to offer other teams in exchange for those players.

We all know teams can't win without good starting pitching but I can't imagine an outstanding starter signing here as a free agent.  The lack of support from both the offense and defense are considerable.  Those types of pitchers want to compete for titles every year and it's going to be at least three seasons before that happens here.  I can't see a really good pitcher giving up three years to an organization like the Pirates with its recent history of poor ownership and management.

The reality here is that, with an owner like Nutting, the acquisition of young talent is the best way to build a winning team.  No one wants to hear that when seeing other teams, especially when similar market-sized teams like Milwaukee and Cincinnati do it, signing free agents.  But with Nutting in charge, it's never going to change.  He's the problem.

True on the position player.  Have to hope the Pirates 2020 season was just full of bad because of COVID.  Maybe Reynolds sucked because he was away from his newborn and wife? 

[highlight]I believe money talks[/highlight], if they offer someone like Bauer enough money, he will come here.  That guy has a tremendous ego, and he would take the opportunity to be the highest paid player, especially if you are paying him more than his rival, Cole. Those two have hated each other for a decade plus.

To a certain extent, that's true.  And I know many of the players keeps score by how much money they make.  But if there's an opportunity to play for multiple titles with an organization committed to winning, a serious player would lean towards signing there as opposed to with a club like the Pirates who, although paying a couple million more, don't have the stomach for taking the additional risks necessary to win.  But I do agree there are players who only care about getting the most money they can.

Like a Manny Machado- got a lot of money- don't hear much about him

I have very little respect for Machado for some of the things he's done during his career. Great player, but not a guy I'd want playing for me. Too selfish.