Toronto May Be Good Trading Partner With Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

6F7F7E495F5F533C0 wrote: The Seattle Mariners are reported to be looking for bullpen help. I think we would do well to sell high on Richard Rodriguez and/or Chris Stratton. Their #9 prospect is a catcher: Cal Raleigh. He's got power. He's a switch-hitter, drafted in 2018 out of Florida State. Defense looks OK from prospect score numbers.

If it took a vet and a young reliever to swing the deal, we've got depth there, too. We badly need someone to share the catching load with Stallings, and the bullpen is one of few places where we have depth.

Harder to find a place for Adam Frazier, though he is a versatile defender and should be a MLB-average hitter. Maybe the Blue Jays would be interested, per our lead post.

Stratton doesn't bring back much in the line of a decent prospect, let alone the #9 in an organization.  I'm not sure Rodriguez does either.
We have bullpen depth. As I posted, maybe a 2-for-1 would net us a second-tier prospect like Raleigh. Does an alternative come to mind? I'm all ears.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5D7B7C69606C7B6D650E0 wrote: Was reading on the Bucs site that supposedly the Pirates were contacted about dealing some of their pitchers.

With the success the Rays have shown, it's thought teams are going to look harder at their type of model and how they use their relievers. Turns out Cherington not pulling the trigger was a good thing, because the same interest will be there for some of our pitchers, and may bring back more value this time around.

It felt like a hard time for us to deal, because even the few players we have that you could reasonably expect to be pretty good were in terrible slumps (or hurt).  That's not what you want loading up for a stretch run.  I agree with you: this will be intersting.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Kirby Yates is out a few weeks with a flexor strain. We have some relief pitchers who might interest the Blue Jays, and since our FO is familiar with the Blue Jays System there could be a match.