Official Game Thread - 4/21 - Bucs @ Tigers - Game 2

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

07393C34273F3F341431263562500 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

I had to be away from the radio for the first five innings. Why is the run on Polanco? What happened?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Mr Evans is a keeper. No intimidation of Mr Evans.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Could it be that the Pirates are playing Polanco against this AL club as a way to showcase him, hoping that he would have good games so that maybe the Tigers would be fooled into thinking he would be a good acquisition? I'm really searching here because I can't come up with a good reason to first, have him in the line-up and, second, play him in the field. It's baffling.
rucker59@gmail.com

194F594D425848434E596B4C464A424705482B0 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

I had to be away from the radio for the first five innings.  Why is the run on Polanco?  What happened?

He turned a seeing eye single into an RBI double.

It’s hard to explain, but basically he threw to a cut off man rather than go home or to 2nd. The cut off was about 50 ft away.
2drfischer@gmail.c

7770666E6077303C456268646C692B666A68050 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

I had to be away from the radio for the first five innings.  Why is the run on Polanco?  What happened?

It’s hard to explain, but basically he threw to a cut off man rather than go home or to 2nd. The cut off was about 50 ft away.

Thanks. That sounds familiar. He's never seemed to know or understand the various situations in a ball game. He's no smarter, baseball-wise, today than he was on his first day in the big leagues.
rucker59@gmail.com

3264726669736368657240676D61696C2E63000 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

Thanks.  That sounds familiar.  He's never seemed to know or understand the various situations in a ball game.  He's no smarter, baseball-wise, today than he was on his first day in the big leagues.

I can’t tell if he’s “protecting” his arm which is clearly not the same.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

303721292730777B02252F232B2E6C212D2F420 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

That's about as far as he can throw. And opponents know it. When Polanco fields a ball the runners just keep going. It wasn't even a strong throw to Frazier. It is obvious that Polanco's arm is inadequate for the OF and the more they "showcase" him the more obvious it is. And no one wants an $11 million DH who hits .170. I know they've been hoping he looked good enough to find a trade partner even if they had to eat a huge chunk of his salary. But that looks like a lost cause.

At this point I'd rather see Fowler get a chance to see if he can do anything and put Evans in RF when Hayes returns. Playing Polanco is counterproductive to winning. The best thing they can do is DFA Polanco.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Polanco looks at strike 3 over the middle of the plate.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4245535B5542050970575D51595C1E535F5D300 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

Thanks.  That sounds familiar.  He's never seemed to know or understand the various situations in a ball game.  He's no smarter, baseball-wise, today than he was on his first day in the big leagues.

I can’t tell if he’s “protecting” his arm which is clearly not the same.

Am I not remembering correctly or did the Pirates report in Spring Training that Polanco was healthy, that his arm was fine?
2drfischer@gmail.c

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

That's about as far as he can throw. And opponents know it. When Polanco fields a ball the runners just keep going. It wasn't even a strong throw to Frazier. It is obvious that Polanco's arm is inadequate for the OF and the more they "showcase" him the more obvious it is. And no one wants an $11 million DH who hits .170. I know they've been hoping he looked good enough to find a trade partner even if they had to eat a huge chunk of his salary. But that looks like a lost cause.

At this point I'd rather see Fowler get a chance to see if he can do anything and put Evans in RF when Hayes returns. Playing Polanco is counterproductive to winning. The best thing they can do is DFA Polanco. 

This is exactly correct. It's a lost cause. There's not much he can do, aside from playing like he's never played before, up to the Trade Deadline that will convince another GM to trade for him. Release him and start playing for the future.