Pirates Are Not A Young Team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

624E46414A6D5A4C5C2F0 wrote: I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster.  Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

Oviedo, the Rule 5 pick is just about to turn 22, however, the next youngest is Keller, who just turned 25.  The majority of the players fall in the 26 - 30 age bracket, with only a few over 30; T. Frazier, Anderson, Cahill, Rodriguez, Stratton, and Stallings.

The average age of the team is likely 'held down' by the lack of players who are in the 33+ range, however, I believe it is hard to characterize the Pirates as being a 'young' team age-wise, even though many of the current players do not have that much major league experience.
It's so frustrating watching guys rot in our farm system. Look at Brubaker, the guy is 27 year old before he gets a chance. He's been pitching for 5 years in the minors wasting away his arm that's why our pitching age is so high. This has to change if we are to ever get out of this hole.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

362E2C2B2B3C2D2A373620450 wrote: I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster.  Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

Oviedo, the Rule 5 pick is just about to turn 22, however, the next youngest is Keller, who just turned 25.  The majority of the players fall in the 26 - 30 age bracket, with only a few over 30; T. Frazier, Anderson, Cahill, Rodriguez, Stratton, and Stallings.

The average age of the team is likely 'held down' by the lack of players who are in the 33+ range, however, I believe it is hard to characterize the Pirates as being a 'young' team age-wise, even though many of the current players do not have that much major league experience.
It's so frustrating watching guys rot in our farm system.  Look at Brubaker, the guy is 27 year old before he gets a chance.  He's been pitching for 5 years in the minors wasting away his arm that's why our pitching age is so high.  This has to change if we are to ever get out of this hole.

I swear that Huntington's plan was to keep guys in the minors until they were 24-25 so those guys would than be in their prime years when they got to Pittsburgh, but also during their cheapest years. And then once those players reached their fifth or sixth year, they would be getting too old and not worth signing to bigger money. Thus Huntington would have a good excuse to trade them away. It would've been terrible to be a minor league player when Huntington was in charge.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

005640545B41515A574072555F535B5E1C51320 wrote: I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster.  Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

It's so frustrating watching guys rot in our farm system.  Look at Brubaker, the guy is 27 year old before he gets a chance.  He's been pitching for 5 years in the minors wasting away his arm that's why our pitching age is so high.  This has to change if we are to ever get out of this hole.

I swear that Huntington's plan was to keep guys in the minors until they were 24-25 so those guys would than be in their prime years when they got to Pittsburgh, but also during their cheapest years.  And then once those players reached their fifth or sixth year, they would be getting too old and not worth signing to bigger money.  Thus Huntington would have a good excuse to trade them away. It would've been terrible to be a minor league player when Huntington was in charge.

But it's not age that gets a player into his prime. And they can't get to their prime by facing only minor league hitters. And if that was his plan it failed miserably. The pitchers he developed were generally disappointments and only reached their prime after they left the Pirates.
2drfischer@gmail.c

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: I took a look at the ages of the current players on the active roster.  Although the Bucs are in a rebuilding mode, this does not mean that the Pirates are a 'young' team.

I swear that Huntington's plan was to keep guys in the minors until they were 24-25 so those guys would than be in their prime years when they got to Pittsburgh, but also during their cheapest years.  And then once those players reached their fifth or sixth year, they would be getting too old and not worth signing to bigger money.  Thus Huntington would have a good excuse to trade them away. It would've been terrible to be a minor league player when Huntington was in charge.

But it's not age that gets a player into his prime. And they can't get to their prime by facing only minor league hitters. And if that was his plan it failed miserably. The pitchers he developed were generally disappointments and only reached their prime after they left the Pirates.

I agree. But I think Huntington worked in generalities, believing his players all fit into the same box. If Juan Soto or Ronald Acuna were in the Pirates system, their talents wouldn't have been looked at individually. They'd still be in Double A if Huntington were still the GM because that's where guys their age should be.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Huntington's plan was to kick the can down the road and collect his salary for as long as possible. Cherington has the same plan.
2drfischer@gmail.c

425954555C505F310 wrote: Huntington's plan was to kick the can down the road and collect his salary for as long as possible.  Cherington has the same plan.

I can't wait for you to be proven incorrect.