Official Game Thread - 4/28 - Bucs vs Royals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Would've liked seeing Tom in the line-up tonight.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Painful to watch.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Ugh...Reynolds we needed you
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C5B4D454B5C1B176E49434F4742004D41432E0 wrote: How can his “stuff” just disappear?  I could understand if his stuff wasn’t good enough, but it’s like “who is this guy and how did he make it to the big leagues?”.   How does that happen?
I'm not sure he ever had stuff. It wasn't evident in his 11 starts in 2019 when he went more than 5 innings only once because he was always in the 90 pitch range by the 5th inning if he lasted that long and pitched poorly in 7 of those 11 games. If he had good stuff he wouldn't be throwing so many pitches that he was gone before the 6th inning.

Last year he had only 5 starts. 2 were awful, 1 was good with 6 shutout innings and the other 2 were good but too many pitches prevented him from going more than 5 innings.

This year he's had 3 bad games and pitched well in the other 2 but in both he was gone after 5 innings and 80 pitches.

Guys with good stuff are efficient because they get batters out and don't waste a lot of pitches or walk a lot. Keller seems to me like someone who could overpower minor league hitters but doesn't have much against MLB batters. More likely to pitch poorly than well. I think they overhyped him as a prospect and now keep telling us he has good stuff as long as we don't believe our eyes. He was supposed to be part of a great rotation with Glasnow and Kingham. And when they got nothing from the other 2 they tried to sell us on Keller.
rucker59@gmail.com

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: How can his “stuff” just disappear?  I could understand if his stuff wasn’t good enough, but it’s like “who is this guy and how did he make it to the big leagues?”.   How does that happen?
I'm not sure he ever had stuff. It wasn't evident in his 11 starts in 2019 when he went more than 5 innings only once because he was always in the 90 pitch range by the 5th inning if he lasted that long and pitched poorly in 7 of those 11 games. If he had good stuff he wouldn't be throwing so many pitches that he was gone before the 6th inning.

Last year he had only 5 starts. 2 were awful, 1 was good with 6 shutout innings and the other 2 were good but too many pitches prevented him from going more than 5 innings.

This year he's had 3 bad games and pitched well in the other 2 but in both he was gone after 5 innings and 80 pitches.

Guys with good stuff are efficient because they get batters out and don't waste a lot of pitches or walk a lot. Keller seems to me like someone who could overpower minor league hitters but doesn't have much against MLB batters. More likely to pitch poorly than well. I think they overhyped him as a prospect and now keep telling us he has good stuff as long as we don't believe our eyes. He was supposed to be part of a great rotation with Glasnow and Kingham. And when they got nothing from the other 2 they tried to sell us on Keller.

I hear you, but without me looking, wasn’t he a control freak in the minors? Now it takes 2 1/3 to throw 80.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Yikes! Just looked at the box score. Keller threw 80 pitches in two and a third innings, a few more than half for strikes. I know it takes awhile for a pitcher to learn how to pitch in the big leagues but how many outings like tonight's have to happen before he learns that he has to throw strikes? It's like watching Kip Wells all over again.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

He had fairly good control in the minors and a lot of Ks. So if he was overpowering hitters there, he could afford to throw strikes. He seems to be pitching with a lack of confidence now.
rucker59@gmail.com

476A67767160773734050 wrote: He had fairly good control in the minors and a lot of Ks. So if he was overpowering hitters there, he could afford to throw strikes. He seems to be pitching with a lack of confidence now.

Gotcha.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

back to back jacks, with an assist from Taylor, cuts the lead in half, Bucs back in it 6-3
rucker59@gmail.com

Back to back BOMBS!!

Suddenly 6-3