Rocker vs Leiter as it now stands.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6B6C7D6E7D2C21180 wrote: That was Rockers first bad start. Letter has jumped ahead of Rocker at this point. Will have to wait and see how the next few months pan out

It was Rocker's first bad start but have you watched the 2 pitch yet ? One guy has a FB that is 2 MPH better and a spin rate that is said to be extraordinary. He also has 3 quality pitches compared to Rocker's 2. Yes a lot can happen but barring injury , IMO it's highly likely Leiter stays ahead of Rocker. Better velocity , better secondary pitches and a little better command.

Leiter still has not pitched many innings in a season. Let’s see how he hold up as the innings start to mount. I do think that Rocker will start hitting higher velocity numbers as the season progresses.

It will be interesting to follow
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Tom Reed from DK Sports talked with Jack Leiter's high school coach about Leiter: “Jack is a cool customer, the guy who wouldn’t be bothered by a dump truck driving through the middle of the infield. He’d step off the rubber and let the thing go past him. That’s Jack Leiter. He comes from good fabric.”

Sounds to me that Leiter is the way to go with the #1 pick in the draft.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

I watched Rocker last night and he looked much better than he has in his last 3-4 starts. Velocity was right there at 95-96 and off speed stuff was nasty. Somehow only K'd 8 but he finally looked like a top 3 pitcher again. Announcer said he went on short rest a while back and that affected his velocity.

As to the Pirates pick , I would say either Leiter still has the edge over Rocker but don't discount Jordan Lawlar. he's a 5 tool HS SS that many have ranked as this draft's best prospect.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

The Pirates system is loaded with middle infielders; especially SS

If they pass on either Leiter or Rocker then there really is no hope for this team
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I watched a little portion of Leiter’s start last night and he was just okay in my opinion. A graphic was posted saying he has given up 5 home runs in last 11 plus innings. That is a little concerning. I have been hoping the Bucs select Leiter, but I am on the fence as to which player they pick. The Pirates have about 3 months to continue to watch and compile the information on the two Vandy pitchers, or Lawlar the high school shortstop from Texas.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

4A6F6C6C79526F676572000 wrote: The Pirates system is loaded with middle infielders; especially SS

If they pass on either Leiter or Rocker then there really is no hope for this team

I really don't agree with that. The only top prospect the Pirates have at ss IMO is Peguro. Cruz will never stick at ss.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: I watched a little portion of Leiter’s start last night and he was just okay in my opinion. A graphic was posted saying he has given up 5 home runs in last 11 plus innings. That is a little concerning. I have been hoping the Bucs select Leiter, but I am on the fence as to which player they pick. The Pirates have about 3 months to continue to watch and compile the information on the two Vandy pitchers, or Lawlar the high school shortstop from Texas.

I suggest taping as it's an easy way to watch their starts without devoting 2.5 hours to it. Anyway , last night was a big drop off for Leiter.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

23243526356469500 wrote: The Pirates system is loaded with middle infielders; especially SS

I really don't agree with that. The only top prospect the Pirates have at ss IMO is Peguro. Cruz will never stick at ss.

I think we should keep an eye on Lawlar. With pitching prospects, the Pirates:

A. Develop for the next team

B. Have team docs practice surgery

C. Fail to unlock potential at the major league level

D. All the above

I’m definitely interest in Lawlar.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

484F59515F480F037A5D575B5356145955573A0 wrote: The Pirates system is loaded with middle infielders; especially SS

I think we should keep an eye on Lawlar.  With pitching prospects, the Pirates:

A.  Develop for the next team

B.  Have team docs practice surgery

C.  Fail to unlock potential at the major league level

D.  All the above

In my opinion if they think Lawlar is the best player to take with the number 1 pick they will take him even though they have several middle infield candidates.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C70712A232A222F28372D1A0 wrote: The Pirates system is loaded with middle infielders; especially SS

I think we should keep an eye on Lawlar.  With pitching prospects, the Pirates:

A.  Develop for the next team

B.  Have team docs practice surgery

C.  Fail to unlock potential at the major league level

D.  All the above

In my opinion if they think Lawlar is the best player to take with the number 1 pick they will take him even though they have several middle infield candidates.
I don't know who they should take. But if it's one of the pitchers I hope he's the rare case who becomes dominating right from the start. Most great pitchers take 3-4 years to become great and by then it's time to start thinking about what you can get for them in a trade before they walk as a FA. Not to mention the arm problems so many pitchers suffer. In hindsight the Bucs would have done better picking Manny Machado (5+ great years for the Orioles) over Taillon (1 good year for Pirates).

Stephen Strasburg dominated from the start but a year later was having TJ surgery. His best years for the Nats were after they gave him a contract extension and subsequently re-signed him as a FA. If the Nats had traded him before he was first eligible to become a FA (as the Pirates would have done), Strasburg would have been just another pitcher who had his best years after he leaves his original team.