The calliopes can be heard from here to Sewickley

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I was thinking today that this play may well be remembered into the future, after Merkle's Boner, to be the worst decision made by a player in major league history.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

033621212A1321212A2D21440 wrote: Regardless of minor league experience, Craig can no longer play at the MLB level.  It's more than some "brain fart."  We have former MLB players saying it.  So have some of us. 

It's a poor look and we know who to look at. It's more than one guy, but the buck stops and starts somewhere. 

It's just that some choose to look the other way; excusing as a momentary mistake by one guy.

How many guys handled that ball?  How many didn't communicate effectively?   It's organizational, not individual.
Yeah, Craig needs to go. But I think more for his slow, weak swing that that one play. But since he needs to go anyway, now would be a good time to do it to show the whole team that such idiocy is unacceptable. And it is unbelievable that the whole team froze and no one apparently told the clueless Craig what to do. In baseball it's never a good idea to assume someone else knows what to do no matter how obvious it should be. When coaching a base, it's always good to remind the runner how many outs there are, whether to tag on a fly ball, etc even though it shouldn't be necessary. It shouldn't have been necessary to tell Craig to forget about chasing Baez and just go step on 1B. But at some point it was obvious he needed help and it looks like he didn't get any.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1D3B3C29202C3B2D254E0 wrote: Regardless of minor league experience, Craig can no longer play at the MLB level.  It's more than some "brain fart."  We have former MLB players saying it.  So have some of us. 

It's a poor look and we know who to look at. It's more than one guy, but the buck stops and starts somewhere. 

It's just that some choose to look the other way; excusing as a momentary mistake by one guy.

How many guys handled that ball?  How many didn't communicate effectively?   It's organizational, not individual.
Go check the Pirates site. You'll get your answer.

It was obviously rhetorical. We have plenty who are directly and indirectly responsible.

No one can change what transpired, of course. Let's see how it's prevented. That's more important, in my opinion.
shedman

Post by shedman »

"Oh, and yes, btw, we all hate Nutting, but..." There is that word "but" again.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: Regardless of minor league experience, Craig can no longer play at the MLB level.  It's more than some "brain fart."  We have former MLB players saying it.  So have some of us. 

Yeah, Craig needs to go. But I think more for his slow, weak swing that that one play. But since he needs to go anyway, now would be a good time to do it to show the whole team that such idiocy is unacceptable. And it is unbelievable that the whole team froze and no one apparently told the clueless Craig what to do. In baseball it's never a good idea to assume someone else knows what to do no matter how obvious it should be. When coaching a base, it's always good to remind the runner how many outs there are, whether to tag on a fly ball, etc even though it shouldn't be necessary. It shouldn't have been necessary to tell Craig to forget about chasing Baez and just go step on 1B. But at some point it was obvious he needed help and it looks like he didn't get any. 

Not looking for an excuse for Craig but as I watch that video closely , it could be that Perez was calling for the ball. If he knew what was going on , he should have walked up he line and assisted Craig ... no ?
shedman

Post by shedman »

I wonder if Josh Bell would have made the same play that Craig made at 1B? Probably not, but at least Nutting got to pocket the money they saved from salary dumping Josh Bell.
2drfischer@gmail.c

797E6F7C6F3E330A0 wrote: Regardless of minor league experience, Craig can no longer play at the MLB level.  It's more than some "brain fart."  We have former MLB players saying it.  So have some of us. 

Not looking for an excuse for Craig but as I watch that video closely , it could be that Perez was calling for the ball. If he knew what was going on , he should have walked up he line and assisted Craig ... no ?

If Perez was calling for the ball, he's equally to blame along with Craig.  If not, because he was directly involved with what Craig was doing, he should've started running at Craig, telling him to go back to first base. 

In the meantime, Anderson, who was next closest, should've been screaming to Craig to retreat back to first.  The other three infielders, who typically are a team's smartest players, were also complicit in that they simply watched instead of moving towards Craig to get his attention. 

The whole lot of them ought to have to spend the next 10 days with the Bradenton team for remedial instruction.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4C575A5B525E513F0 wrote: I wonder if Josh Bell would have made the same play that Craig made at 1B?  Probably not, but at least Nutting got to pocket the money they saved from salary dumping Josh Bell.

Bell would've taken the throw from Gonzalez and then airmailed it into left field.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

1E2B3C3C370E3C3C37303C590 wrote: Regardless of minor league experience, Craig can no longer play at the MLB level.  It's more than some "brain fart."  We have former MLB players saying it.  So have some of us. 

Go check the Pirates site. You'll get your answer.

It was obviously rhetorical.  We have plenty who are directly and indirectly responsible.

No one can change what transpired, of course.  Let's see how it's prevented.  That's more important, in my opinion.

A very astute observation GW. Even Doc should be proud of it coming from you. ;) ;) ;) ;)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I would thank you for that compliment, but. ...I'm still in shock to get it. ;))))

What's next? A winning streak?????@@@@@