Rocker situation

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Rocker situation

Post by Bobster21 »

2022383E284D0 wrote: I suspect he will sign on with one of the independent leagues, but (assuming the draft is unchanged for next  year) who wants to negotiate with Boras. Can you imagine what that would do to the rest of your draft strategy? He (Boras) won't be any more reasonable next year than this.
Here is an article about how it messed up the entire Mets draft strategy.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... ed-frenzy/
SammyKhalifa

Rocker situation

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Maybe he'll sign with the Washington Wild Things
ArnoldRothstein

Rocker situation

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Deleted due to encroaching senility.
johnfluharty

Rocker situation

Post by johnfluharty »

Now I'm curious how long until you forget why you deleted the post LOL?
JollyRoger

Rocker situation

Post by JollyRoger »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: I suspect he will sign on with one of the independent leagues, but (assuming the draft is unchanged for next  year) who wants to negotiate with Boras. Can you imagine what that would do to the rest of your draft strategy? He (Boras) won't be any more reasonable next year than this.

Agreed 100%.  As a FA Rocker could let Boras be as unreasonable as he likes.  In the draft, Rocker is nothing but bad news.

Disagree. Since he goes back into the draft; Boras cannot control the slot value. He can only insist on the max for that slot. Rocker was arguably the #2 pitching prospect behind team mate Leiter.

He has a much longer track record than Leiter and he has the size factor in his favor. As long has he is healthy then it’s a no brainer unless Green is available. BC has done a great job of building depth at C, IF and OF, and we have some interesting pitching prospects as well. But you can never have enough pitching. You can’t pass on an opportunity to get Rocker for 6 years. If he does well then you flip him for high end prospects like Washington and Minnesota did.
SammyKhalifa

Rocker situation

Post by SammyKhalifa »

705556564368555D5F483A0 wrote: I suspect he will sign on with one of the independent leagues, but (assuming the draft is unchanged for next  year) who wants to negotiate with Boras. Can you imagine what that would do to the rest of your draft strategy? He (Boras) won't be any more reasonable next year than this.

Agreed 100%.  As a FA Rocker could let Boras be as unreasonable as he likes.  In the draft, Rocker is nothing but bad news.

Disagree. Since he goes back into the draft; Boras cannot control the slot value. He can only insist on the max for that slot. Rocker was arguably the #2 pitching prospect behind team mate Leiter.

He has a much longer track record than Leiter and he has the size factor in his favor. As long has he is healthy then it’s a no brainer unless Green is available. BC has done a great job of building depth at C, IF and OF, and we have some interesting pitching prospects as well. But you can never have enough pitching. You can’t pass on an opportunity to get Rocker for 6 years. If he does well then you flip him for high end prospects like Washington and Minnesota did.
I just can't imagine that not pitching anywhere for a year does a thing to help his draft position.
ArnoldRothstein

Rocker situation

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: Now I'm curious how long until you forget why you deleted the post LOL?

I just realized I didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

Apparently, teams are required to make an offer based on a percentage of the slotted amount, BUT some players are required to take an MRI and, if they don't, the need to make an offer is terminated.
rucker59@gmail.com

Rocker situation

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

50626E6E7A486B626F6A6562030 wrote: I suspect he will sign on with one of the independent leagues, but (assuming the draft is unchanged for next  year) who wants to negotiate with Boras. Can you imagine what that would do to the rest of your draft strategy? He (Boras) won't be any more reasonable next year than this.

I just can't imagine that not pitching anywhere for a year does a thing to help his draft position.

Yeah, my point was IF Rocker has surgery and is out for the full year, how should a team approach his draft position? He probably falls again, but will he demand a significant over slot deal?

But if he’s healthy and pitches like a top of the rotation guy, id have no problem if the Pirates considered him in the 1st round.