Official Game Thread - 8/11- Bucs vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

45636471787463757D160 wrote: The trade deadline has passed. BC can't really believe that Polanco will suddenly get hot at the plate, or that his shoulder will magically heal and allow him to throw the ball, and thus create potential trade value for him this off-season so the Bucs don't have to pay the $3 million buy-out.

While I like what BC has done, the ongoing fascination with Polanco is perplexing.

Note to BC --- Just because you were able to deal Holmes and Davis for what could be serviceable players at the deadline doesn't mean that you will be able to recreate the same hocus-pocus success with dealing Polanco.   Past time to move on.
No, it can't be that. What could Polanco possibly accomplish in the last 7 weeks of the season that would inspire another team to trade for him so they could pay him 12.5 million next year? Polanco isn't worth any decent prospect and the Pirates would likely have to include a lot of cash to offset that 12.5 million. It would be cheaper to pay the 3 million buyout.

The only reason I can imagine they would continue to play him is for PR purposes as the Pirates are always looking for players in the Dominican Republic. Maybe they are using Polanco to demonstrate how loyal the organization is to such players in order to enhance their chances of signing players.
Being a professional gambler with a career net earnings of -$1426.17 and a psychic, I'm betting you are closer to the truth of the matter.

My only guess is they are evaluating whether they want to invest 12.5 million, which I've pointed out before is a net 9.5 million to play him, because he was going to cost 3 million not to play. The buyout for the 2023 season is 1 million. I really feel they are looking at it from, "do we have a 10.5 million dollar player?" because that's the true cost of keeping him for 2022.

I really don't know. I'm trying to use my psychic abilities but it's cloudy as to whether they actually tell us why they keep playing him.

Never discount the fact that the Pirates are already paying for certain two people not to general manage and field manage (and possibly not to president making 3 ); they're paying a guy not to pitch who was a free agent (Cahill) beyond league minimum; just a couple years back they paid a guy FA money who never played (Chisenhall), and so on. It may be that BOB is getting tired of paying people to do nothing. Polanco has a lot of jerseys in PNC Park, he's exceptionally popular as far as the fans go wanting autographs, etc.

Last but not least, maybe they're tired of hearing Shed say, "Salary dump!"

Ding ding ding ding…..Agent 86 you win the post of the day!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

577176636A6671676F040 wrote: The trade deadline has passed. BC can't really believe that Polanco will suddenly get hot at the plate, or that his shoulder will magically heal and allow him to throw the ball, and thus create potential trade value for him this off-season so the Bucs don't have to pay the $3 million buy-out.

While I like what BC has done, the ongoing fascination with Polanco is perplexing.

Note to BC --- Just because you were able to deal Holmes and Davis for what could be serviceable players at the deadline doesn't mean that you will be able to recreate the same hocus-pocus success with dealing Polanco.   Past time to move on.
No, it can't be that. What could Polanco possibly accomplish in the last 7 weeks of the season that would inspire another team to trade for him so they could pay him 12.5 million next year? Polanco isn't worth any decent prospect and the Pirates would likely have to include a lot of cash to offset that 12.5 million. It would be cheaper to pay the 3 million buyout.

The only reason I can imagine they would continue to play him is for PR purposes as the Pirates are always looking for players in the Dominican Republic. Maybe they are using Polanco to demonstrate how loyal the organization is to such players in order to enhance their chances of signing players.
Being a professional gambler with a career net earnings of -$1426.17 and a psychic, I'm betting you are closer to the truth of the matter.

My only guess is they are evaluating whether they want to invest 12.5 million, which I've pointed out before is a net 9.5 million to play him, because he was going to cost 3 million not to play. The buyout for the 2023 season is 1 million. I really feel they are looking at it from, "do we have a 10.5 million dollar player?" [highlight]because that's the true cost of keeping him for 2022. [/highlight]

I really don't know. I'm trying to use my psychic abilities but it's cloudy as to whether they actually tell us why they keep playing him.

Never discount the fact that the Pirates are already paying for certain two people not to general manage and field manage (and possibly not to president making 3 ); they're paying a guy not to pitch who was a free agent (Cahill) beyond league minimum; just a couple years back they paid a guy FA money who never played (Chisenhall), and so on. It may be that BOB is getting tired of paying people to do nothing. Polanco has a lot of jerseys in PNC Park, he's exceptionally popular as far as the fans go wanting autographs, etc.

Last but not least, maybe they're tired of hearing Shed say, "Salary dump!"

Not to argue the point but, in economic terms, "cost" refers to what the Pirates have to give-up in order to keep him.  They already agreed to pay him either $3 million or $12.5 million next season, plus another $1 million to buy him out in 2023.  So the money they choose to spend is actually accounted for.  For all intents and purposes, it's already been spent and can't be reclaimed.

Actually, the Pirates, "cost" themselves the opportunity to play someone else if they keep Polanco.  They can only play one guy in RF at a time.  If it's Polanco, the opportunity is lost to play another player.  That's where the Pirates will hurt themselves the most, not in the payment to him, because it's already been agreed to pay him what they owe, but in the lost opportunity to give another player experience.

That's why I said before that the money doesn't matter.  There's already an agreement to pay it.  All that matters is the future, the development of his replacement.  That's what can be controlled.  Losing that opportunity would be wasteful.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I just got a letter emailed to me from Travis Williams. What's of interest to the general populace (a lot of it is STH stuff) was talking about the organizational transformation.

Seven of the top 10 prospects and 18 of the top 30 have been obtained in less than two years (Cherington's boys) and the farm system rating going from middle of the pack to one of the top systems. He says the future is bright.

I'm adding, that in less than 2 years, 24 of the 40 man roster are now BC guys. To be fair, the best players on the team were NH acquisitions most notably Bryan Reynolds.

I can't be sure of this, but I think the very last NH transaction was obtaining Sam Howard.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Not only would Polanco be a net cost of 10.5 million to be back in 2022 but his continued presence would send a negative message to an already frustrated fan base looking for improvement rather than the continuation of a proven failure like Polanco. And that would be 10.5 million for inferior, counterproductive performance. As as fans become even more disenchanted, revenue drops even more.

So who would replace Polanco? Certainly not an expensive free agent. Most likely Alford or Park or Oliva. All LMGs. The minimum salary in 2022 will be less than $600,000. Hard to imagine any LMG performing as poorly as Polanco in hitting, fielding or throwing. So for less than 3.6 million, they can receive as good or better production from Polanco's replacement than from Polanco for 10.5 million.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote:

That's why I said before that the money doesn't matter.  There's already an agreement to pay it.  All that matters is the future, the development of his replacement.  That's what can be controlled.  Losing that opportunity would be wasteful.
I agree, but I think about it and I really think they want to keep him. They have choices after this season.

Behind curtain number 1: Pay him 3 million and be done with him.

Behind curtain number 2: Pay him 12.5 million to play in 2022.

Behind curtain number 3: If they decide on curtain 2, curtain 3 comes attached, with a 1 million buyout and be done with him after 2022.

Behind curtain number 4: Pay him 13.5 million to play 2023, and have paid out the entirety of the contract.

Never discount the possibility that keeping Polanco on the roster could be mitigation against the Players Association who have been saying certain teams are not putting revenues into the team. Polanco is a lot of revenue.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Polanco is the 98th highest paid player in baseball
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7E585F4A434F584E462D0 wrote: Polanco is the 98th highest paid player in baseball
And worth every penny. Oops, I meant to say "a" penny.
2drfischer@gmail.c

614740555C50475159320 wrote:

I agree, but I think about it and I really think they want to keep him. They have choices after this season.

Behind curtain number 1: Pay him 3 million and be done with him.

Behind curtain number 2: Pay him 12.5 million to play in 2022.

Behind curtain number 3: If they decide on curtain 2, curtain 3 comes attached, with a 1 million buyout and be done with him after 2022.

Behind curtain number 4: Pay him 13.5 million to play 2023, and have paid out the entirety of the contract.

Never discount the possibility that keeping Polanco on the roster could be mitigation against the Players Association who have been saying certain teams are not putting revenues into the team. Polanco is a lot of revenue.

I get your point about the Players Association but, in this case, if I’m Nutting , Williams, or Cherington, I tell them to pound salt. Releasing Polanco can’t be interpreted by anyone, except Shedman, as anything but improving the roster. His numbers over the past several years are proof enough. In addition, Polanco accepted and signed his current contract. He bet on himself and came up woefully short. That’s on him.
2drfischer@gmail.c

04222530393522343C570 wrote: Polanco is the 98th highest paid player in baseball

If I were Liam Hendricks, I’d be pretty ticked.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Plausible reasons for playing Polanco:

1. He's one of the three best outfielders; or,

2. The front office wants to lose as many games as they can get away with.