Wild Card Game elimination number

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

445F52535A5659370 wrote: We were eliminated in December thru February when Cherington sat there and twittled his thumbs while all the other GM's were improving their teams.
As hard as this word is to hear with Pirates fan we just have to continue to remain patient with Cherrington for another year or two. He is doing things the right way so far in terms of tearing it all the way down and re-building up the Minor League’s through trades and a good draft. I do believe we will start to see this team improve a great deal as a result of the trades and players in the Minors maybe not next year in 2022 but definitely in 2023. I think by 2024 this team has a chance to be very good. That’s where Bob Nutting once again will come into play. He has to up this payroll and go out and add some veteran free agents to bring in here to help this young core group out.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

7C5B4A4E4B56695D4A4B4B562F0 wrote: We were eliminated in December thru February when Cherington sat there and twittled his thumbs while all the other GM's were improving their teams.
As hard as this word is to hear with Pirates fan we just have to continue to remain patient with Cherrington for another year or two. He is doing things the right way so far in terms of tearing it all the way down and  re-building up the Minor League’s through trades and a good draft. I do believe we will start to see this team improve a great deal as a result of the trades and players in the Minors maybe not next year in 2022 but definitely in 2023. I think by 2024 this team has a chance to be very good. That’s where Bob Nutting once again will come into play. He has to up this payroll and go out and add some veteran free agents to bring in here to help this young core group out.

The most he's ever spent is something like a hundred million I think.  Assuming he won't go over that threshold, I wonder what that leaves us in terms of spending cash couple years down the road.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7D787F79717B627F7665636E170 wrote: We were eliminated in December thru February when Cherington sat there and twittled his thumbs while all the other GM's were improving their teams.
As hard as this word is to hear with Pirates fan we just have to continue to remain patient with Cherrington for another year or two. He is doing things the right way so far in terms of tearing it all the way down and  re-building up the Minor League’s through trades and a good draft. I do believe we will start to see this team improve a great deal as a result of the trades and players in the Minors maybe not next year in 2022 but definitely in 2023. I think by 2024 this team has a chance to be very good. That’s where Bob Nutting once again will come into play. He has to up this payroll and go out and add some veteran free agents to bring in here to help this young core group out.

The most he's ever spent is something like a hundred million I think.  Assuming he won't go over that threshold, I wonder what that leaves us in terms of spending cash couple years down the road.

The MLB average payroll is currently 130.2 million.

I can imagine Cherington developing a good crop of prospects and going to Nutting with "You said you'd spend when the time is right."

And Nutting saying, "Ahhh, yeah. About that.........."
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

547974656273642427160 wrote: We were eliminated in December thru February when Cherington sat there and twittled his thumbs while all the other GM's were improving their teams.

I can imagine Cherington developing a good crop of prospects and going to Nutting with "You said you'd spend when the time is right."

If what you say becomes true, Ben Cherington will decide to leave the Pirates, along with Steve Sanders , and minor league coordinator John Baker. If that happens MLB should demand that Nutting sell the team, or if that doesn’t happen Nutting will sell, and team will move after the 2030 season when the ballpark lease is up.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: We were eliminated in December thru February when Cherington sat there and twittled his thumbs while all the other GM's were improving their teams.

If  what you say becomes true, Ben Cherington will decide to leave the Pirates, along with Steve Sanders , and minor league coordinator John Baker. If that happens MLB should demand that Nutting sell the team, or if that doesn’t happen Nutting will sell, and team will move after the 2030 season when the ballpark lease is up.

I wonder who the money will be spent on? Keeping players that the Pirates acquired a couple years before free agency? Trading for players that already have a few years of experience? How can the Pirates build a team with players who want to stay here?

The scary thing to me about the Cubs this year is that neither Rizzo or Baez signed extensions. Somehow the Bucs need to avoid situations where core players like Drabek, Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke all could have left in two years and would have if not for Van Slyke's extension.

Midre Cummings not becoming a good player and Kevin Young taking awhile to have a productive season and collapse of pitching in 1993 doomed the Bucs and it took 20 years to recover.