Will someone pick up Polanco?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

7D71702B222B232E29362C1B0 wrote: I'd give my left nut to see it happen. 
I wouldn’t offer that. Remember in 1969 Donn Clendenon who was not the most popular of Pirates while in Pittsburgh, was the MVP of the World Series for the Mets.

Shows you about Yinzers.

Donn Clendenon was one of my favorites at the time.  I was pretty upset when we lost him.

The more things change...the more they don't change.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If Polanco is picked up now, the Pirates are responsible for the contract with the new team only having to pay the MLB minimum. So what if he gets picked up and the team decides to keep him through the remainder of the contract? He's due 12.5 mil in 2022 and 13.5 mil in 2023 but his new team can have him for the minimum each year. The Pirates would be on the hook for nearly 25 million instead of keeping him until next year and buying him out for 3 million. It's hard to believe the Pirates would take such a chance so maybe there's more to the rule than meets the eye.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactio ... 20contract.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

His remaining contract is only this year though.  The other two are optional, and require a buyout.  I hadn't thought about that. Any team that picked him up would be responsible for paying his buy out next year which is 3 million if they don't want to keep him.

Edit:

On second thought, that's not correct. They had to pay the $3 million buy out before they released him.  Otherwise, teams would just release players and never pay the buyout on the optional years on their contracts.  So, the team that picks him up will just have to pay the prorated portion of the major league minimum.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

132631313A0331313A3D31540 wrote: I'd give my left nut to see it happen. 
I wouldn’t offer that. Remember in 1969 Donn Clendenon who was not the most popular of Pirates while in Pittsburgh, was the MVP of the World Series for the Mets.

Shows you about Yinzers.

Donn Clendenon was one of my favorites at the time.  I was pretty upset when we lost him.

Hey I liked him as well. They exposed him to the expansion draft after the 1968 season. At that time players like Oliver, Hebner and Robertson were ready to make their debuts in the Majors.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

437661616A5361616A6D61040 wrote: I'd give my left nut to see it happen. 

I second that. I'll give your left nut for that to happen too.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

795F5E495F4F3C0 wrote: I'd give my left nut to see it happen. 

I second that.  I'll give your left nut for that to happen too.

NTIF! Ouch. :))))
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

2F2322797079717C7B647E490 wrote: I'd give my left nut to see it happen. 

Shows you about Yinzers.

Hey I liked him as well. They exposed him to the expansion draft after the 1968 season. At that time players like Oliver, Hebner and Robertson were ready to make their debuts in the Majors.

Dave Cash was near that time, too, wasn't he?

Regardless, I remember that day well. Even at age 10, I was banging on "incompetent GMs" and "tight ass owners." ;) Should've given them Robertson. Hated seeing Donn Clendenon in the Mets uniform. :(((

Wish we had that brand of incompetence today!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: If Polanco is picked up now, the Pirates are responsible for the contract with the new team only having to pay the MLB minimum. So what if he gets picked up and the team decides to keep him through the remainder of the contract? He's due 12.5 mil in 2022 and 13.5 mil in 2023 but his new team can have him for the minimum each year. [highlight]The Pirates would be on the hook for nearly 25 million instead of keeping him until next year and buying him out for 3 million.[/highlight] It's hard to believe the Pirates would take such a chance so maybe there's more to the rule than meets the eye.

That doesn't seem right to me. Before the start of next season, the Pirates are obligated to pay Polanco either the buyout amount, $3 million, or his contract in full, $12.5 million, for 2022. So, even if he's playing elsewhere, can't the Pirates just pay the buyout amount and end their contract agreement with him? Isn't that the purpose of the buyout? He can play for whichever team is willing to sign him but the Pirates obligation to pay him any additional money thereafter has been satisfied with the buyout, right?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A3C2A3E312B3B303D2A183F35393134763B580 wrote: If Polanco is picked up now, the Pirates are responsible for the contract with the new team only having to pay the MLB minimum. So what if he gets picked up and the team decides to keep him through the remainder of the contract? He's due 12.5 mil in 2022 and 13.5 mil in 2023 but his new team can have him for the minimum each year. [highlight]The Pirates would be on the hook for nearly 25 million instead of keeping him until next year and buying him out for 3 million.[/highlight] It's hard to believe the Pirates would take such a chance so maybe there's more to the rule than meets the eye.

That doesn't seem right to me.  Before the start of next season, the Pirates are obligated to pay Polanco either the buyout amount, $3 million, or his contract in full, $12.5 million, for 2022.  So, even if he's playing elsewhere, can't the Pirates just pay the buyout amount and end their contract agreement with him?  Isn't that the purpose of the buyout?  He can play for whichever team is willing to sign him but the Pirates obligation to pay him any additional money thereafter has been satisfied with the buyout, right?
See wvbucco's post above. If the Pirates can pay the buyout for next year before releasing him it resolves the problem. That would make sense.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: If Polanco is picked up now, the Pirates are responsible for the contract with the new team only having to pay the MLB minimum. So what if he gets picked up and the team decides to keep him through the remainder of the contract? He's due 12.5 mil in 2022 and 13.5 mil in 2023 but his new team can have him for the minimum each year. [highlight]The Pirates would be on the hook for nearly 25 million instead of keeping him until next year and buying him out for 3 million.[/highlight] It's hard to believe the Pirates would take such a chance so maybe there's more to the rule than meets the eye.

That doesn't seem right to me.  Before the start of next season, the Pirates are obligated to pay Polanco either the buyout amount, $3 million, or his contract in full, $12.5 million, for 2022.  So, even if he's playing elsewhere, can't the Pirates just pay the buyout amount and end their contract agreement with him?  Isn't that the purpose of the buyout?  He can play for whichever team is willing to sign him but the Pirates obligation to pay him any additional money thereafter has been satisfied with the buyout, right?
See wvbucco's post above. If the Pirates can pay the buyout for next year before releasing him it resolves the problem. That would make sense.

I guess I'm confused as to why the Pirates would have to pay the buyout even before releasing him. I thought they weren't required to make that decision until the current season ended. But if the club had to pay or agree to pay that $3 million now, I would think the Front Office was aware of that. If not, Bob Nutting's going to be mad as hell.