Resting Players Trends

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

Resting Players Trends

Post by BellevueBuc »

Reached character limit, here is the last paragraph:

“We’re trying to be careful, but we’re also trying to push,” said Matheny, whose team was 27-26 entering Thursday. “So this is where I believe the advancements in the game have been so crucial for us to take all of the information we’re getting from sports science, from sports medicine, and then also use some of the experience that we have and hopefully some of the relationships we have. But it’s kind of uncharted waters as far as the game having that kind of break.”

BellevueBuc

Resting Players Trends

Post by BellevueBuc »

One quick takeaway here is that I see IL trips listed, look at the Pirates and how they were putting players on their for very minor injuries and essentially rest related reasons. Not sure I would call all of those injuries in August and September a baseball issue.
Bobster21

Resting Players Trends

Post by Bobster21 »

0F282121283B38280F382E4D0 wrote: One quick takeaway here is that I see IL trips listed, look at the Pirates and how they were putting players on their for very minor injuries and essentially rest related reasons. Not sure I would call all of those injuries in August and September a baseball issue.

True. The Pirates clearly abuse the IL. Other teams probably do too. There are countless times after a starting pitcher starts or after a reliever goes a few innings and won't be available for a few games that the player suddenly goes on the IL for minor ailments that were never previosly suggested and they bring up a fresh replacement. The Pirates do that so much that I'm surprised MLB doesn't question it, so I suspect it is common practice throughout both leagues.
BellevueBuc

Resting Players Trends

Post by BellevueBuc »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: One quick takeaway here is that I see IL trips listed, look at the Pirates and how they were putting players on their for very minor injuries and essentially rest related reasons. Not sure I would call all of those injuries in August and September a baseball issue.

True. The Pirates clearly abuse the IL. Other teams probably do too. There are countless times after a starting pitcher starts or after a reliever goes a few innings and won't be available for a few games that the player suddenly goes on the IL for minor ailments that were never previosly suggested and they bring up a fresh replacement. The Pirates do that so much that I'm surprised MLB doesn't question it, so I suspect it is common practice throughout both leagues. 

True, the players could also balk at the move, but the alternative would be going to the minors and less pay, so i doubt they would.