Stallings wins Gold Glove

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

2D2F353325400 wrote: I see that the Cardinals as a team won five gold gloves. As someone who likes to see defense, [highlight]I take their team emphasis on defense (rightly or not) as a sign of why they always seem to do better than anyone expects.[/highlight]

Preventing a run from scoring is equal to scoring a run.  Defense is easier to master than offense so emphasizing it can help win games.  And it sure isn't more expensive than paying for offensive talent.  I'm not suggesting the Pirates fill the team with guys who are all field and no hit, but developing and coaching guys into becoming better defensive players can help win a lot of games. 
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

174157434C56464D4057654248444C490B46250 wrote: I see that the Cardinals as a team won five gold gloves. As someone who likes to see defense, [highlight]I take their team emphasis on defense (rightly or not) as a sign of why they always seem to do better than anyone expects.[/highlight]

Preventing a run from scoring is equal to scoring a run.  Defense is easier to master than offense so emphasizing it can help win games.  And it sure isn't more expensive than paying for offensive talent.  I'm not suggesting the Pirates fill the team with guys who are all field and no hit, but developing and coaching guys into becoming better defensive players can help win a lot of games. 

Maybe defense is what helped the Cards this season. Five gold glovers and none named Molina.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

547273647262110 wrote: I see that the Cardinals as a team won five gold gloves. As someone who likes to see defense, [highlight]I take their team emphasis on defense (rightly or not) as a sign of why they always seem to do better than anyone expects.[/highlight]

Maybe defense is what helped the Cards this season.  Five gold glovers and none named Molina. 

I'm sure it helped. That's why St. Louis is a quality organization. Their development of players has to be among the best in baseball. They constantly bring young talent to the big leagues and most of those players find some level of success.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: Great for Stallings! From DFA'd 5 years ago to team MVP last year and now a Gold Glove.

Stallings was DFA in May 2019 for a second time.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

John Heyman is reporting Stallings is gaining interest as a trade candidate. I know the Pirates are still in a rebuild situation, but Stallings in my opinion is a very valuable player. The Pirates have several young pitchers on the roster as well as several prospects who should arrive in Pittsburgh over the next couple of seasons. A good catcher is valuable for helping young pitchers develop. On the flip side Stallings is 31 years old, and plays at a tough position. In the late 1980’s the Pirates moved Tony Pena for 3 players of which 2 of them helped the Bucs reach the playoffs in 1990, 1991 and 1992. I would hate to lose Stallings, but if a team was willing to overpay for him I guess you would have to make that trade.