One Week Until The International Draft Signing Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1B3C35353C2F2C3C1B2C3A590 wrote: By now I hope that Possum and Bellevue have discovered that they are really not having a disagreement. Misunderstandings occur when people reply to multi-poster threads!  :)

If we can sign this Blanco guy I will be one happy fan! We haven't had a power-hitting 1B prospect like that in quite a while!

True. Its a complicated process. And these are 13-14 year old kids they are scouting and coming to agreements with.

I do wonder why the Rays fell out of favor with Blanco.

I don't remember where I saw it and I haven't done any further research, but I read that it might have had something to do with the INT spending cap changes.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

72404C4C586A49404D484740210 wrote: By now I hope that Possum and Bellevue have discovered that they are really not having a disagreement. Misunderstandings occur when people reply to multi-poster threads!  :)

If we can sign this Blanco guy I will be one happy fan! We haven't had a power-hitting 1B prospect like that in quite a while!

True. Its a complicated process. And these are 13-14 year old kids they are scouting and coming to agreements with.

I do wonder why the Rays fell out of favor with Blanco.

I don't remember where I saw it and I haven't done any further research, but I read that it might have had something to do with the INT spending cap changes.

I think you are right, not being able to trade int $ is the change i believe that hurt them. Tampa kills it in IFA, so not a terrible thing to take their rejects. The Pirates on the other had have been hot garbage until they got rid of Gayo. He is fired and they are involved with better talent, which is nice.

DK did a gushing article on Gayo, and still sings his praises for what he did for the team. Gayo didnt do much, so that never made sense to me. He also had the quantity over quality approach, which I am thinking is more because no one liked him than because he was trying to outsmart everyone. Makes sense he got along with DK, who no one likes.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Per MLBTRs the Bucs, Cards, DBacks, Guardians, Orioles, Padres, Rockies, and Royals have the highest Bonus Pool allotment of $6,262,600 during the 21-22 International Signing Period.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Pirates just signed the # 11 and 12 rated prospects for 900 K and 1.1 mill. Shortstop and a huge OF.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

2D2A3B283B6A675E0 wrote: Pirates just signed the # 11 and 12 rated prospects for 900 K and 1.1 mill. Shortstop and a huge OF.
https://www.mlb.com/news/pirates-2022-i ... -prospects

The Pirates didn't use all of their bonus pool. Do they lose that money? Or is that just a figure they were allowed to spend to?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7C5A5D48414D5A4C442F0 wrote: Pirates just signed the # 11 and 12 rated prospects for 900 K and 1.1 mill. Shortstop and a huge OF.

The Pirates didn't use all of their bonus pool. Do they lose that money? Or is that just a figure they were allowed to spend to?

there will be other signings. That is amount they are allowed to spend.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5C7A7B6C7A6A190 wrote: Pirates just signed the # 11 and 12 rated prospects for 900 K and 1.1 mill. Shortstop and a huge OF.

there will be other signings.  That is amount they are allowed to spend.

Pirates Prospects is reporting as many as 18 players have signed on this the first day of the International Draft. They signed a young catcher ( Axiel Plaz )who appears to already to be a good defender. The Taiwan pitcher who was projected to sign with the Pirates should take his physical and sign his contract tomorrow.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

54727560696572646C070 wrote: Pirates just signed the # 11 and 12 rated prospects for 900 K and 1.1 mill. Shortstop and a huge OF.

According to PBN, they have until December to spend their entire pool and that will most likely happen. As for losing any of the pool, I don't think so unless they don't spend it all by December.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

43626A436860070 wrote: Pirates just signed the # 11 and 12 rated prospects for 900 K and 1.1 mill. Shortstop and a huge OF.

According to PBN, they have until December to spend their entire pool and that will most likely happen.  As for losing any of the pool, I don't think so unless they don't spend it all by December.
Pirates signed 2 of the top 12 International prospects- Tony Blanco Outfielder 900,000

Yordany De Los Santos SS for 1.2 million
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Roger Samuels passed away at 61. He was a very tall, lefty reliever who threw 3.2 innings for the Pirates in 1989. He was acquired from the Giants for Ken Oberkfell.

Baseball is weird: I have a very vivid memory of him though he barely played for the Pirates, and I would have guessed he was part of the Reuschel trade or some such.

RIP

Edit: sorry, meant to put this in the Departed thread.