The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

635641414A7341414A4D41240 wrote: I've read so many articles on this that I dnk what to believe.  Every writer, regardless of credentials, has an opinion.  I'm trying to find one that I felt had some good rationale so I can post a link to it.  She says that, based on 2019 numbers, the floor should be set at $120m.  She also gives examples on the effect it would have on smaller revenue rosters.  I'll poke around some more.

Regardless, I have always believed that leopards do change spots.....but, when they do, it takes a very long time to notice.

Added:  Try Googling "Sheryl Ring", "beyondtheboxscore"   i can't post it using my phone.

Google gave not results to any article by Sheryl Ring. Why don't you simply give us the URL and we can use that instead of the Google search.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

1C293E3E350C3E3E35323E5B0 wrote: https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/ ... lich-osuna

Thank you GW
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree with her or disagree; I think that it's a compelling read. Remember, the data and examples are a couple years old.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

That was a good read. It got me thinking again about sports though.

Sports franchises are businesses just like the local barber shop, the chain restaurant in the strip mall, and the weapons manufacturer with the big government contract.

So how come the sports franchises get vilified for trying to make as much profit as all those other guys? Is it a lack of opportunity to invest in them?

If the Orioles and Pirates were part of your 401k and killing it for your retirement and swimming with the dolphins, would you be as bothered by it?

So we went from a guy who tried to keep the team mediocre, which is what that article was talking about, and he was run out of town with pitchforks. Had some exciting players like Marte and Bell. Didn't budge the turnstiles. Now the new guy is tanking/rebuilding, and people want to run him out of town too.

The only reason I'm in favor of a salary floor is that it keeps things from hitting ridiculous.

Of course, back in the day, that's what a commissioner was for, protecting the interest of the game. I wonder what Bowie Kuhn or Bart Giamatti or Fay Vincent would have done? I mean, we just look at it from our perspective. We just watched the Cubs tank mid season. Getting a head start on 2022 I reckon. The Marlins. Pirates, Rangers, Orioles.

It's almost comical. That's why I'm in favor of a floor. Less chance of run downs between home plate and first base.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I won't do as good a job with my opinion as guys like Doc, Bob, or Possum (and others) but I'll take my At Bat:

I know my barber. I know my mechanic.

I know my favorite restaurant's owner- personally.

None of the three wants much more than a decent life. That means different things to different people, of course.

A win, to them, these days- so help me God- is to keep their businesses afloat.

None received much government assistance, except for some loan guarantees.

None received one cent from their competitors.

If their businesses earn a poor reputation for quality, they put their business in serious danger.

I dont think that we begrudge sports franchises for turning a reasonable profit. I think that the bigger complaint is when there's no regard for product quality. A sports franchise that offers a poor product can remain in operation for decades.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

From all indications, there should definitely be a work stoppage on Dec.2nd. This will freeze the Free Agent Market
================

I didn't read this carefull enough.  Yeah, it looks like there very well could be a work stoppage.  I was thinking in early December if we believe what's being reported.  I was thinking more along the lines of losing actual games.  I think that it won't go that far, but who knows?  I think that if it means starting the season beyond traditional Opening Day, that would be a very poor look for both sides, and I would hope that they would do all that they felt they can to avoid cutting the schedule.

As for the effect on free agency if it comes to a work stoppage- they'll proabably have that period where there's a window for a signing frenzy and then the games start.  We shall see.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

734651515A6351515A5D51340 wrote: From all indications, there should definitely be a work stoppage on Dec.2nd. This will freeze the Free Agent Market
================

I didn't read this carefull enough.  Yeah, it looks like there very well could be a work stoppage.  I was thinking in early December if we believe what's being reported.  I was thinking more along the lines of losing actual games.  I think that it won't go that far, but who knows?  I think that if it means starting the season beyond traditional Opening Day, that would be a very poor look for both sides, and I would hope that they would do all that they felt they can to avoid cutting the schedule.

As for the effect on free agency if it comes to a work stoppage- they'll proabably have that period where there's a window for a signing frenzy and then the games start.  We shall see.

As I read your thought on the work stoppage I how the MLBPA will explain that to its members.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

On that point, I say that you won't count many saints on either side of the table. :(
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

To me, the only way to achieve equity among the 30 franchises is not through both a ceiling and a floor, but through the establishment of a payroll amount, say $150 million, that each team must meet each year. However, the small market franchises will need help. They can't spend money they don't have, nor can they pay higher salaries to players who aren't worth it. Either, or both, situations could lead to franchise failure.

The large market teams would have to be convinced that, for the good of the game, they must help underwrite payroll costs for some of the small market clubs. Frankly, I don't see that happening. All of the franchises are profitable under the current system as it is. Neither the owners nor the players will be in favor of fixing something they don't feel is broken.

Our trouble, as fans, is that we don't see this situation in the same way the owners do. We want fairness. They want the most money they can earn. I'd be really surprised if any major changes came from these negotiations.