SOG/GOG

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

SOG/GOG

Post by WildwoodDave »

5204120609130308051220070D01090C4E03600 wrote: Cherington for SOG.  What a squad he's putting together!
.5 Alford

.5 Hayes
DemDog

SOG/GOG

Post by DemDog »

4C72777F6C74747F5F7A6D7E1B0 wrote: Wehner for calling Reynolds HR!
:D
Wehner was good but he is no gunner

There is no other Gunner. When he died they broke the mold for PBP announcers in Pgh.

Wehner has developed into a really good color guy. Much better than McKenry, and to me equally as good as Walkie. I can remember the brouhaha over him when he first got the job. No one on OBN thought he would be any good but to our surprise, he has become very good.
shedman

SOG/GOG

Post by shedman »

The current count is:

Alford - 3.5

Cherington - 1

Hayes - .5

Get your votes in before the start of the next game.
GreenWeenie

SOG/GOG

Post by GreenWeenie »

Who they should really have is Pittsburgh Dad. Or, Shed. Liven things up. Not sure who they'd have to get for the second game, though. ;)
DemDog

SOG/GOG

Post by DemDog »

6D584F4F447D4F4F44434F2A0 wrote: Who they should really have is Pittsburgh Dad.  Or, Shed.  Liven things up.  Not sure who they'd have to get for the second game, though.  ;) 

Speaking of Pittsburgh Dad, he would be a great choice t have in the booth instead of Block. Or as a color/studio analyst guy instead of McKenry.
Bobster21

SOG/GOG

Post by Bobster21 »

45646C456E66010 wrote: Wehner for calling Reynolds HR!
:D
Wehner was good but he is no gunner

There is no other Gunner.  When he died they broke the mold for PBP announcers in Pgh.

Wehner has developed into a really good color guy.  Much better than McKenry, and to me equally as good as Walkie.  I can remember the brouhaha over him when he first got the job.  No one on OBN thought he would be any good but to our surprise, he has become very good.
It's probably not fair but i think a voice plays a significant part in how a broadcaster is received. Going back to Prince and Woods, they both had very distinctive voices for radio and TV. I was never a fan of Nellie King's announcing only because his voice didn't seem up to par to replace Woods and paled in comparison to his partner Prince. It had nothing to do with his actual comments or style.

Wehner is a good guy and IMHO a good color man. But it often sounds like he's got marbles in his mouth. He gets criticized but I think it's more for his sound than for his commentary.

McKenry has a high voice which doesn't seem ideal for radio/TV work. Maybe it's just because he's new to color commentary but he needs to learn that less is more. He wants to talk nonstop which is annoying.

Block has a very good voice for broadcasting but is horrible because he seems to think his job is to be our entertainment, rather than describing the game action so that the game can be the entertainment. He's constantly trying to find something--anything--to say to avoid seconds of silence. At least McKenry makes interesting points but after awhile I want to tell him to take a break. Block just won't stop talking and never has anything of interest to say. But he seems to believe he's on stage and we are breathlessly awaiting his next words.
shedman

SOG/GOG

Post by shedman »

GOG

Cherington - 3

Rodriguez - 3

Shelton - 2

Feliz - 2

Del Pozo - 2

Neverauskus - 2

Holland - 2

Williams - 1.5

Musgrove - 1

Stratton - 1

Newman - 1

Tropeano - 1

Bell - 1

Crick - .5

Polanco - .5

Howard - .5

Kuhl - .5

Gonzalez - .5

SOG

Frazier - 2

Reynolds - 2

Keller - 1

Newman - 1

Moran - 1

Polanco - 1

Kuhl - 1

Ponce - 1

Tropeano - 1

Alford - 1
shedman

SOG/GOG

Post by shedman »

My vote for GOG goes to Trevor Williams.

The current count is:

'Williams - 1

SCBucco

SOG/GOG

Post by SCBucco »

637875747D717E100 wrote: My vote for GOG goes to Trevor Williams.

The current count is:

'Williams - 1

Williams
Bobster21

SOG/GOG

Post by Bobster21 »

Williams