2024 Official Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:20 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:56 am My one-man crusade ends. As 3P reports in the previous post, Cody Bellinger has reached a deal with the Cubs for $80 million over three years, an affordable number for the Pirates. Maybe Bellinger told the Pirates upfront that under no condition would he sign with them. Maybe Boras told the Pirates it would take $35 million per year at minimum for his client to even consider coming here. But if the club had the same chance as any other team, and made little to no effort, then this organization is in a much worse position than I imagined.
Looks more like a supercharged one year deal to me. You can still hold out hope for next season, he has an opt out after both the first two years.
Maybe the Pirates will beat the Cubs 15 times this year and Bellinger will decide to opt out and sign with us. And maybe I’m going to be appointed to go fix the Middle East.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Good to see the buc bats come alive yesterday in a 13-4 win over the Braves
Possum

Post by Possum »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:43 pm Good to see the buc bats come alive yesterday in a 13-4 win over the Braves
They were playing the Gwinnett Stripers of the AAA International League so what do you expect?
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Following the conclusion of the three game series against the Pirates on April 7, where Wong will have nine hits in eight at bats, if they know what's good for them, the Orioles will release him immediately because he won't have another hit for a month and a half.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I hate to beat a dead horse, but why haven't the Pirates signed another starting pitcher ? The bullpen appears very strong, and I feel the lineup will be somewhat better than last year, but they lack another veteran starting pitcher. Maybe Ortiz will fill a role, or Priester or even Contreras, but all 3 guys are "if's ". In my opinion this team is close to competing for a post season birth providing there is no injury to one of their better players. Another starting pitcher could get them a winning season and a post season birth. If this was not the Pirates we would probably see Skenes come north in April, as part of the rotation, but that is not happening. Since early in January I have been waiting for them to add amnother starter, but now two months have past and no veteran starting pitcher has been added.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:00 am I hate to beat a dead horse, but why haven't the Pirates signed another starting pitcher ? The bullpen appears very strong, and I feel the lineup will be somewhat better than last year, but they lack another veteran starting pitcher. Maybe Ortiz will fill a role, or Priester or even Contreras, but all 3 guys are "if's ". In my opinion this team is close to competing for a post season birth providing there is no injury to one of their better players. Another starting pitcher could get them a winning season and a post season birth. If this was not the Pirates we would probably see Skenes come north in April, as part of the rotation, but that is not happening. Since early in January I have been waiting for them to add amnother starter, but now two months have past and no veteran starting pitcher has been added.
Your question is the same as mine regarding signing Bellinger, and the answer is the same in both: the owner won’t allow anymore money to be spent than he’s already earmarked. If they sign a capable starting pitcher before the season starts it’ll be a miracle.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:00 am I hate to beat a dead horse, but why haven't the Pirates signed another starting pitcher ? The bullpen appears very strong, and I feel the lineup will be somewhat better than last year, but they lack another veteran starting pitcher. Maybe Ortiz will fill a role, or Priester or even Contreras, but all 3 guys are "if's ". In my opinion this team is close to competing for a post season birth providing there is no injury to one of their better players. Another starting pitcher could get them a winning season and a post season birth. If this was not the Pirates we would probably see Skenes come north in April, as part of the rotation, but that is not happening. Since early in January I have been waiting for them to add another starter, but now two months have past and no veteran starting pitcher has been added.
I think a good comparison is the Nats with Stephen Strasburg. He was the #1 overall pick in 2009 but he didn't go north with the Nats in the spring of 2010. They started him off with 5 games in AA and moved him up to AAA for 6 games. He made his MLB debut against the Bucs on June 8, striking out 14. If Skenes spent the entire year with the Bucs, he'd become a FA after the 2029 season. If he spends at least a few weeks in the minors, this season won't count as a service year and he won't be a FA until after the 2030 season. The exception to the rule is that if he finishes 1st or 2nd in ROY voting, it automatically counts as a service year. Most teams are careful to maximize years of control.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

Being this will be my seventh post on this site, most of you folks aren't yet acquainted with my stupid ideas and idiotic notions, so I take this opportunity to properly introduce myself and swing for the fence here.

I keep thinking that the lack of movement on picking up starters might be due to the fact that the Pirates might be planning alot more bullpen games this year, at least until a past auditioner like Contreras or Priester for example steps up and takes a spot, or a newcomer like Solometo comes up and pulls a Randy Tomlin and works his way into the rotation in the second half of the season. Until...or if...someone locks up a spot or two in the rotation, the Pirates will rely on a perceived strength in the bullpen at least early on into the season.