Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Doc »

Quickly perusing MLB.com this morning, I noticed the featured articles were mostly about where free agents might sign and about which teams are in the running or are pursuing those players. Then there was an article on the Pirates, but its theme was about how David Bednar was in the forefront of the efforts to distribute meals at Thanksgiving. That’s commendable, of course, and very important. But it’s also an indication that the focus for the Pirates isn’t on baseball and, once again, aren’t in the conversation regarding legitimate free agents. I guess that’s really no surprise.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:43 pm Quickly perusing MLB.com this morning, I noticed the featured articles were mostly about where free agents might sign and about which teams are in the running or are pursuing those players. Then there was an article on the Pirates, but its theme was about how David Bednar was in the forefront of the efforts to distribute meals at Thanksgiving. That’s commendable, of course, and very important. But it’s also an indication that the focus for the Pirates isn’t on baseball and, once again, aren’t in the conversation regarding legitimate free agents. I guess that’s really no surprise.
We weren't even in the conversation for washed up bums like Lance Lynn. And that conversation was for 11 million for a guy that's essentially the right handed Rich Hill.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:13 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:43 pm Quickly perusing MLB.com this morning, I noticed the featured articles were mostly about where free agents might sign and about which teams are in the running or are pursuing those players. Then there was an article on the Pirates, but its theme was about how David Bednar was in the forefront of the efforts to distribute meals at Thanksgiving. That’s commendable, of course, and very important. But it’s also an indication that the focus for the Pirates isn’t on baseball and, once again, aren’t in the conversation regarding legitimate free agents. I guess that’s really no surprise.
We weren't even in the conversation for washed up bums like Lance Lynn. And that conversation was for 11 million for a guy that's essentially the right handed Rich Hill.
Right. The Pirates are an afterthought. It’s like MLB is divided into three different categories: the big market, wealthy organizations; the poor, little urchins; and those that fall in between. The urchins get no love, no respect, and no publicity.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Sonny Grey (Gray?) to the Cardinals - three years, 75 MM.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

mouse wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:46 pm Sonny Grey (Gray?) to the Cardinals - three years, 75 MM.
We can't really blame MLB. They know the Pirates are not serious participants in free agency. As always, the Pirates will wait until the best have received their big contracts and then go for the leftovers who are not in demand and can be had for considerably less money. If the Pirates gave MLB a reason to include them in free agency discussions, MLB would cover it.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It is still very early in the offseason, but I keep wondering when the Pirates will add a starting pitcher, or the first baseman they need. The Winter Meetings begin next week, so maybe they will fill some positions while the FO is attending the Meetings. This is an important year coming up, and I hope they add players so they can compete for the postseason in 2024.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Great Way to build excitement, not even a whisper of FA interest. The big info is on lockdown. BC runs a tight ship. I`m ready.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

BC is planning on making a big spash :lol:
Javy

Post by Javy »

What?!?!?!
Is he going to emulate Bob Prince diving into a pool from a balcony??
mouse

Post by mouse »

Pirates claim a catcher and a pitcher. https://pittsburghbaseballnow.com/pitts ... ery-munoz/

The catcher is a puzzle. It's a major league deal (the pitcher is not) but what does it mean for Davis, etc.?