Post Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Re: Post Season Thread

Post by Javy »

Phillies/D'Backs - I'll take the Phillies in 6. Like Doc said, they are on a mission. While the D'Backs are young and exciting, the fact that they are young will be the deciding factor in my mind.

Rangers/Astros - As much as I would like to see the Rangers take it, I'm hesitant to pick them because of the 'Stros experience and the uncertainty of the Rangers pitching. The champs are the champs until someone dethrones them. Astros in 6.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

lots of complaints by Braves and Dodgers fans about how the new playoff format has hurt division winners. Personally I think this is pretty much all sour grapes. None of these teams would have said, hey we won the Division so we should get to choose whether we keep playing or get some time off.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Ecbucs wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:55 pm lots of complaints by Braves and Dodgers fans about how the new playoff format has hurt division winners. Personally I think this is pretty much all sour grapes. None of these teams would have said, hey we won the Division so we should get to choose whether we keep playing or get some time off.
Like I posted over on another site, it doesn't seem to have any effect on Houston. Two years in a row. We used to hear similar stuff about the wild card. I'm certain back in 1969, there were those who complained about the creation of divisions. There were even complaints back in 1903 of even having the two leagues play each other, as evidenced by no World Series in 1904.

Prior to that, people complained about professionals.

As for me, I just wish the season were shortened one week, so the games aren't played in November. I'm always willing to see how formats work out. I still like the one game play in to this day, even though it cost the Bucs twice.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:18 pm
Ecbucs wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:55 pm lots of complaints by Braves and Dodgers fans about how the new playoff format has hurt division winners. Personally I think this is pretty much all sour grapes. None of these teams would have said, hey we won the Division so we should get to choose whether we keep playing or get some time off.
Like I posted over on another site, it doesn't seem to have any effect on Houston. Two years in a row. We used to hear similar stuff about the wild card. I'm certain back in 1969, there were those who complained about the creation of divisions. There were even complaints back in 1903 of even having the two leagues play each other, as evidenced by no World Series in 1904.

Prior to that, people complained about professionals.

As for me, I just wish the season were shortened one week, so the games aren't played in November. I'm always willing to see how formats work out. I still like the one game play in to this day, even though it cost the Bucs twice.
Surge, I love baseball history so your comment about no World Series in 1904 caught my attention. John McGraw's Giants were National League champions in 1904 and he refused to play in the Series against Boston because he hated Ban Johnson, the president of the American League. Johnson had suspended McGraw as manager of the original Baltimore Orioles a few years prior because of continued poor behavior. So McGraw left the Orioles and signed on to manage the Giants in New York where, coincidentally, there was no AL team. In retaliation. Johnson moved the Orioles to NY, where they adopted the name of Highlanders. A few years later they changed their name to Yankees.

The next year, the Giants repeated as NL champions and, because he felt badly about costing his players a World Series check in '04, McGraw relented and agreed to play against the Athletics in the Series. That Series featured probably the greatest pitching ever. The Giants won four games to one, each of the five games being shutouts, including three of them by Christy Mathewson. And a sidenote: if you've ever wondered why the Athletics have a white elephant as their logo it was because McGraw referred to them as such. So, to mock him, they began to use a white elephant in their logo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

The hell with the Braves and Dodgers fans. They had 5 games to advance and
couldn't do it
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Also doc, I agree about the season ending before Nov. For instance, the 5
game series ended last night. No reason to wait until Monday to start the League Championship Series,
God forbid they play on Sunday and interfere with the NFL
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I think baseball would play on Sunday but they worry that NFL interferes with baseball and not the other way around.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Ecbucs wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:14 pm I think baseball would play on Sunday but they worry that NFL interferes with baseball and not the other way around.
I see where the Texas- Houston Game is at 8:15 on Sunday when there
is only one NFL Game
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:28 pm
Ecbucs wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:14 pm I think baseball would play on Sunday but they worry that NFL interferes with baseball and not the other way around.
I see where the Texas- Houston Game is at 8:15 on Sunday when there
is only one NFL Game
[/quote
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Big night in the State of Texas. They have 3 pro teams playing tonight.