The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Interesting.

The players are supposed to agree to something that the owners haven't proposed.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

0426312E222D172C342D302B2A33430 wrote: Until the players agree to a true salary cap (base and max), changes to speed the game up, a  30 second pitch clock, home plate umpires no longer calling balls and strikes, batters staying in the batters box, the game can go the way of the ?. No more seven innings double header games, runners placed on second base to begin extra innings. Until these true changes are made, the game will continue to lose its popularity. Remember, owners and players. Football will soon be coming back in March, beginning with free agency. Baseball will take a back page. Again, baseball has to shut down for a year until the players union wakes up.
Couldn't agree more, sadly they will continue to let the superstar players have umpires call balls and strikes because they know a human umpire can be influenced by their superstar status while the average player gets rung up on border calls. They're absolutely no reason not to have ball and strikes called electronically to eliminate super star influence.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I wish I could remember exactly when the owners first mentioned a lock out would occur if no deal by Dec. 2nd.

I'm sure all teams are similar with season tickets, before the current season is over they are already asking for deposits and payments to keep seats for the following season. With the Pirates I believe they gave us till late Oct/early Nov to renew or risk losing your seats.

They locked a lot of people in to a lot of money. Not every team starts selling single game tickets right away, some of them don't start till February or March. But throw that into the mix for the teams that did start prior to that announcement about a lockout.

They accumulated a war chest prior to all of this, and one could look at it that they're bargaining in bad faith with the strength of pre-purchased tickets monies. I had mentioned that even the Pirates probably have a small season ticket base that equates to at least 8 thousand full season equivalents. That's an attendance of 648,000 along with what ever amount of single game tickets. One can only imagine teams like the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc. who have a large STH base and what they can sit on. And there's nothing going out other than paying the normal bills.

I don't know who to fault in all of this, but I do know that if there's ever a fight, I don't like people who don't fight fair, and the owners are not fighting fair. They're fighting with the fan's money.

Just like renewals, any refunds or rollovers usually won't occur till September or October. I'm guessing if some judge acted on this if the season were to be shortened now and with that forcing the teams to offer refunds NOW to those who want them, things would change over night.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm more angry with one side, but I would think that the blame has to be shared. This is a bad look, IMO.

It was the owners who locked players out, saying that they did so because they wanted to prevent the players from calling a strike after play had begun. That sounds like a load to me. What difference does it make whether play is halted during the season vs. the potential of what we have now- delaying the start of it? To me, it's the same thing.

If both sides would agree to it, I don't understand why they couldn't continue to negotiate- and, play- under the current contract. Better yet, they could continue to play under the current contract, plus the provisions of the new one with the parts that they've agreed on.

But, that is probably too much sense.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

6C747671716677706D6C7A1F0 wrote: Until the players agree to a true salary cap (base and max), changes to speed the game up, a  30 second pitch clock, home plate umpires no longer calling balls and strikes, batters staying in the batters box, the game can go the way of the ?. No more seven innings double header games, runners placed on second base to begin extra innings. Until these true changes are made, the game will continue to lose its popularity. Remember, owners and players. Football will soon be coming back in March, beginning with free agency. Baseball will take a back page. Again, baseball has to shut down for a year until the players union wakes up.
Couldn't agree more, sadly they will continue to let the superstar players have umpires call balls and strikes because they know a human umpire can be influenced by their superstar status while the average player gets rung up on border calls.  They're absolutely no reason not to have ball and strikes called electronically to eliminate super star influence.

So, why haven't the owners proposed it?  Could be that they don't want it.  Or, it's not an important matter to them at the moment.

Or, because they know that it's not the players who will oppose it all that much.  The umpires' union probably will.

The moment it gets implemented, we'll have just as many whiners complaining about robo umpires.  Don't ask me why, but they will.

Has nothing to do with this CBA, anyway.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Attention MLB owners and players. The NFL combines begin tomorrow. Wonder how many sports fans that have professional baseball and football teams care about what is happening with baseball? Just go to your city papers and see what sport is getting the most press. Not baseball. Plus, the golf season is soon coming, if it hasn’t already. Again, shut baseball down until all teams have a chance to compete, like those in the NFL and NHL.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Implement a salary floor of $125 million.  Certain owners will sell.  Others will relocate to GREENer pastures.  All will be competitive.

Correction: No, they won't. The incompetent ones will still be on the losing end.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0C392E2E251C2E2E25222E4B0 wrote: Implement a salary floor of $125 million.  Certain owners will sell.  Others will relocate to GREENer pastures.  All will be competitive.

Correction:  No, they won't.  The incompetent ones will still be on the losing end.

I think a floor and cap would be good and that the players should get a certain percentage of MLB revenue.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

624445524454270 wrote: Implement a salary floor of $125 million.  Certain owners will sell.  Others will relocate to GREENer pastures.  All will be competitive.

Correction:  No, they won't.  The incompetent ones will still be on the losing end.

I think a floor and cap would be good and that the players should get a certain percentage of MLB revenue. 

I remembering former Post-Gazette writer Bruce Keidan having a great idea: give the players union an agreed-upon percentage of all major league revenue and then let them decide how much each player is paid.  Wouldn't it be fun watching those guys trying to figure that out?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1634233C303F053E263F22393821510 wrote: Attention MLB owners and players. The NFL combines begin tomorrow. Wonder how many sports fans that have professional baseball and football teams care about what is happening with baseball? Just go to your city papers and see what sport is getting the most press. Not baseball. Plus, the golf season is soon coming, if it hasn’t already. Again, shut baseball down until all teams have a chance to compete, like those in the NFL and NHL.

I agree. Shut the game down until the owners agree to create a way for all 30 markets to be on equal footing. Until that time, fans in the small markets will see it as folly to expect their team to ever win a World Series.