Gotta' give credit where it is due .....

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NewMexicoLobo

Gotta' give credit where it is due .....

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Shelton has done a nice job this year. That is in spite of poor performance by his hitting and pitching coaches, having only two starting pitchers, and having no consistency regarding hitting with RISP.
SammyKhalifa

Re: Gotta' give credit where it is due .....

Post by SammyKhalifa »

NewMexicoLobo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:47 am Shelton has done a nice job this year. That is in spite of poor performance by his hitting and pitching coaches, having only two starting pitchers, and having no consistency regarding hitting with RISP.
I'm pretty sure this is against the terms and conditions of the board. :lol:
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I would have let all of them go. Team on a little run, yay. I want to feel like Steelers fan this season, excited for the future.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

NewMexicoLobo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:47 am Shelton has done a nice job this year. That is in spite of poor performance by his hitting and pitching coaches, having only two starting pitchers, and having no consistency regarding hitting with RISP.
I'm not sure I can quite go there. I think the overall improvement has to do with the improvement of the roster overall. I will give Shelton credit in that he's handling STARTING pitchers, the actual ones (Keller, Oviedo, the departed Hill), showing more faith in them, letting them get out of trouble, and trying to get them to always go to their pitch count limits. He used to be too quick with the hook, or set them down too soon. However, you can't have that mentality with the relief pitchers. If a guy comes in and starts walking players, you need someone up now and not let them go more than one batter past the 3 minimum. I don't like the juggling of the lineup, but to be fair, it's not like anyone has cemented a spot. I'm guessing his lineups are dictated ahead of time, based upon trying to ensure most of the players get a certain number of at bats. I think as the team solidifies as to who the actual "guys" are, we'll see less of this stuff.

So yeah, I think he's improved. I'm still upset not so much with him, as it is on the players too, for some things that continue to look bad: Poor situational hitting, poor baserunning, that sort of thing that's haunted this team well before Shelton was tagged to come aboard. But if this team is supposed to be a contender next season, we'll see. He can't manage the team like this forever. At some point, someone wins the job, someone sits, someone finds a new home.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Yes, like that bonehead throw to third yesterday by Bae when the
runners on first and second tagged up.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Took a long damn time but I've come to terms with the financial structure of MLB. I get it that this team will not have the talent to compete for the big prize. :| I take what they give me. April was a lot of fun. I hope we close out the season the way we started. Since I can't see us having a countdown thread for clinching a Playoff spot anytime soon it's fun trying for less then 100 loses and now, surprisingly, a less then 90. With the Pittsburgh Pirates you have to find joy in different things.

All in all for the Pittsburgh Pirates it was a decent season. Even though I don't live there I enjoy that they bring $$$ into center city. (The Point?) A great mini vacation in a cool area for opposing teams fans.

BEAT EM BUCS!!
Doc

Post by Doc »

bucs607179 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:19 pm Took a long damn time but I've come to terms with the financial structure of MLB. I get it that this team will not have the talent to compete for the big prize. :| I take what they give me. April was a lot of fun. I hope we close out the season the way we started. Since I can't see us having a countdown thread for clinching a Playoff spot anytime soon it's fun trying for less then 100 loses and now, surprisingly, a less then 90. With the Pittsburgh Pirates you have to find joy in different things.

All in all for the Pittsburgh Pirates it was a decent season. Even though I don't live there I enjoy that they bring $$$ into center city. (The Point?) A great mini vacation in a cool area for opposing teams fans.

BEAT EM BUCS!!
In a way, I can understand you looking for joy in a bad situation. But what you’re willing to accept has a consumer of Major League Baseball is no way to run a sports league. If half the teams have little to no chance of ever winning a title, what’s the point of those teams even trying? (Which is why we have Bob Nutting running the franchise as he does.) Those teams are basically schedule fillers for the other teams.

As much as I want to place 100% of the blame for the Pirates way of fielding a team on Nutting, MLB is the central problem. Until the owners make it so that all 30 teams have an equal opportunity to win a title, I’ll never settle for the joys that you find reasonable. As it is now, the Pirates are holding 81 picnics each summer at PNC Park, during which they participate in a baseball game.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:56 pm
bucs607179 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:19 pm Took a long damn time but I've come to terms with the financial structure of MLB. I get it that this team will not have the talent to compete for the big prize. :| I take what they give me. April was a lot of fun. I hope we close out the season the way we started. Since I can't see us having a countdown thread for clinching a Playoff spot anytime soon it's fun trying for less then 100 loses and now, surprisingly, a less then 90. With the Pittsburgh Pirates you have to find joy in different things.

BEAT EM BUCS!!
In a way, I can understand you looking for joy in a bad situation. But what you’re willing to accept has a consumer of Major League Baseball is no way to run a sports league. If half the teams have little to no chance of ever winning a title, what’s the point of those teams even trying? (Which is why we have Bob Nutting running the franchise as he does.) Those teams are basically schedule fillers for the other teams.

As much as I want to place 100% of the blame for the Pirates way of fielding a team on Nutting, MLB is the central problem. Until the owners make it so that all 30 teams have an equal opportunity to win a title, I’ll never settle for the joys that you find reasonable. As it is now, the Pirates are holding 81 picnics each summer at PNC Park, during which they participate in a baseball game.
"81 picnics" Now that had me laughing hard. Great way to say it.