The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Franchises will never be "equal."

As in any other business, no two are run alike. Different people. Different ways of going about it. Different customers. Different local economies, different external factors.

Different competencies.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

705657405646350 wrote: That's what the owners said.

Players' response?  Fine.  No expanded playoffs.

Look for agreement by Monday.    All between is just posturing.  A whole bunch of nothing.
I hope you are correct that an agreement will be done by Monday. This lockout really hurts players like Cruz, or Peguero who are on the 40 man roster. These players lost an entire Minor League Season  in 2020 due to Covid-19, and now they could miss some valuable minor league time due to the lockout. I am very annoyed that these two sides cannot come to an agreement. I liked a comment Jason Mackey made yesterday, he said “ get a few wives into the meeting an camps will open in 48 hours”. I kind of agree with him because the wives will miss those paychecks when the season doesn’t begin.

A new CBA will change little for franchises like the Pirates.  I'd rather they shut the game down for a year or two than return to the status quo.  Yes, it would be nice to have a baseball season, but my interest becomes less and less each year as the futility of watching the Pirates try to compete grows.  I'd rather they not reach an agreement, tear everything down, and get it right by making the 30 franchises equal.

I would rather have each franchise equal but neither side is trying to bargain for that.   

No, they're not. It's the wealthy on both sides who are negotiating for the best deal for themselves and to hell with everyone else.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

As if there are any who aren't wealthy.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Liberty Media released today that the Braves had something like $570 million in revenue last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates took in $300 million or more if we count every source.  We don't know.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

267066727D67777C7166547379757D783A77140 wrote: That's what the owners said.

Look for agreement by Monday.    All between is just posturing.  A whole bunch of nothing.
I hope you are correct that an agreement will be done by Monday. This lockout really hurts players like Cruz, or Peguero who are on the 40 man roster. These players lost an entire Minor League Season  in 2020 due to Covid-19, and now they could miss some valuable minor league time due to the lockout. I am very annoyed that these two sides cannot come to an agreement. I liked a comment Jason Mackey made yesterday, he said “ get a few wives into the meeting an camps will open in 48 hours”. I kind of agree with him because the wives will miss those paychecks when the season doesn’t begin.

A new CBA will change little for franchises like the Pirates.  I'd rather they shut the game down for a year or two than return to the status quo.  Yes, it would be nice to have a baseball season, but my interest becomes less and less each year as the futility of watching the Pirates try to compete grows.  I'd rather they not reach an agreement, tear everything down, and get it right by making the 30 franchises equal.

I would rather have each franchise equal but neither side is trying to bargain for that.   

No, they're not.  It's the wealthy on both sides who are negotiating for the best deal for themselves and to hell with everyone else.
Just in: League cancels three more days of Spring Training Games with the earliest start being March 8th
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

0A5C4A5E514B5B505D4A785F55595154165B380 wrote: That's what the owners said.

No, they're not.  It's the wealthy on both sides who are negotiating for the best deal for themselves and to hell with everyone else.
100% correct. So frustrating that the every day players and the small market teams have no say in . Both these negotiations, both groups need to stand up and quit letting the wealthy elites dictate to them. Especially the numerous everyday players could and should demand they get a fair shake. If they think the $300 million dollars contract player can help them is just wrong headed. Common sense tells you the opposite is true.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You don't think that small market owners and lesser-paid players are represented at the negotiations?

Part of the negotiations have to do with benefitting the lesser-experienced players. 

The higher-paid players have more time in the game than most lower-paid players.  They've paid their dues to get where they are.  The lower-paid guys will have their chance when they get as far.

Most players are not the highest-paid ones.  I think I heard a stat that said that 60% are pre-arbitration players.  So, if they are not getting heard, the problem is with them.  Chances are, their opinions are being heard. We can disagree on what you think is "a fair shake."
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

50484A4D4D5A4B4C515046230 wrote: That's what the owners said.

100% correct.  So frustrating that the every day players  and the small market teams have no say in .  Both these negotiations, both groups need to stand up and quit letting the wealthy elites dictate to them.  Especially the numerous everyday players could and should demand they get a fair shake.  If they think the $300 million dollars contract player can help them is just wrong headed.  Common sense tells you the opposite is true. 

The small market teams have little to no power because they earn a small amount of the revenues brought in by the MLB franchises.  They depend greatly on the large market teams for their existence. 

The lower-skilled players have very little influence because many of them are easily replaced by younger players from the minor leagues.  In addition, few fans pay to watch those players, either at ball parks or through devices.

That's the reality in major league baseball.  Until the owners agree to compete as equals it won't change.  And by the looks of the current negotiations, the status quo will remain.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The small market teams have less influence because there are fewer of them than the mid- to large-market teams.

If I was a guy who paid $2.5 billion to own my team and have the high operating expenses associated with a business located in NYC, then I'm not going to be all that willing to give much money to a guy who paid under $100 million and assumed some debt for his.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Until the players agree to a true salary cap (base and max), changes to speed the game up, a 30 second pitch clock, home plate umpires no longer calling balls and strikes, batters staying in the batters box, the game can go the way of the ?. No more seven innings double header games, runners placed on second base to begin extra innings. Until these true changes are made, the game will continue to lose its popularity. Remember, owners and players. Football will soon be coming back in March, beginning with free agency. Baseball will take a back page. Again, baseball has to shut down for a year until the players union wakes up.