The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

Did not realize Duane Underwood Jr. is still in the organization. I also learned about the Developmental list, which he's on. I was also surprised that Chase DeJong with still with the organization, he was such an after thought.

I'm also guessing Wil Crowe will soon be making it back on to the 40 man roster. Aside from one dud, he looks like he's been pitching well this month. He can't be any worse than Bolton, who I feel would be the one dropped from the 40 man if Crowe gets another shot.

Kranick is in Indy now, and I'm guessing he'll be pitching in Pittsburgh sometime in September if there are no setbacks, if for no other reason than to eat a few innings. There's a whole slew of guys they can let go for a spot if he comes off the 60 day IL, like Rivas, Williams, CSN, Tiolo, Capra (who would be my candidate).
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I don't know where to put this so this is a good a place as any. I know
many of you don't get the PG on line. I also don't watch and listen to
the podcasts unless I have lots of time. Today there is an excellent conversation
between Jason Mackey and Fort McHenry. They cover a variety of subjects from Andy Haines to
needs for next year. The Fort is very good. If you can get it, its worth watching
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:50 pm I don't know where to put this so this is a good a place as any. I know
many of you don't get the PG on line. I also don't watch and listen to
the podcasts unless I have lots of time. Today there is an excellent conversation
between Jason Mackey and Fort McHenry. They cover a variety of subjects from Andy Haines to
needs for next year. The Fort is very good. If you can get it, its worth watching
McKenry made an interesting comment that Mackey did not follow up on. In discussing the role of the hitting coach, McKenry said it's the job of the analytics department to determine what type of hitter (i.e., power, high average, doubles, high on-base avg) a player is and work with the batting coach to come up with a plan for the player. I have little faith in the Pirates' analytics department. There are just way too many times the Pirates get poor results from doing things that defy common sense. Maybe less reliance on modern analytics and more use of common sense baseball strategies would be beneficial to this organization that constantly seems to be shooting itself in the foot.

McKenry made another good point that we often discuss here. He said it's not good for a hitter to get hot and then have to sit out a game because the team has scheduled a day off for him. He said the Pirates don't seem to consider the psyche of the players when they do that.

I don't care for McKenry on the game broadcasts but he's very good in this type of podcast setting.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Fort used to visit on the Fan Pittsburgh 93.7 and he made many comments that I thought were interesting. I am no expert but I can’t understand why some MLB has not picked him up as a coach, or in some other capacity. He is very baseball intelligent.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Certainly agree with you on that. He seems spot on with his comments
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Pirates recall Hunter Stratton and DFA Rob Strznzsxyzxyz. Stratton is known to have very poor control. Sounds like a winner. 😞
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Am I the only one that was surprised that Bae's triple on Wednesday against the Brewers was his first career triple?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:03 pm Am I the only one that was surprised that Bae's triple on Wednesday against the Brewers was his first career triple?
I took pause when I heard that.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Quinn Priester has been brought back up and is expected to start
Wed. night against the Nationals
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:06 pm Quinn Priester has been brought back up and is expected to start
Wed. night against the Nationals
Dag nabbit!!! I'm going Thursday