Official Game Thread - 8/15 - Bucs @ Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/15 - Bucs @ Mets

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:38 pm
Bobster wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:42 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:41 am As is the case so often in situations like this, Buck Showalter may well pay for the performance of his high-priced players by losing his job, even before season's end. The question is, would you want BC to dismiss Shelton at the end of the year and hire Showalter to replace him?
I'd love to have Showalter.
Me, too. It’d be interesting to see if he’d take the job, though. I’d think he’d be more inclined to want to manage a club made-up mostly of veterans rather than having to deal with the frustrations that come with young guys. But, if the Pirates were the only opportunity to manage, he might reassess and take a shot. It goes without saying that he’d likely have to accept a lower offer so hoping for him to come here might be a moot point.
I don't think it would ever happen regardless of the money it would take. Showalter is a veteran manager with baseball instincts. Shelton's career as a manager seems to be driven largely by his GM's analytics department. He never seems to have a feel for the game in terms of lineups and pitching decisions. I can't see Showalter agreeing to that or Cherington giving up any control of game day decisions. Shelton has already been extended because he manages the way Cherington wants.
There's no basement in the Alamo.