Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4A4E4671677742656A040 wrote: This is what scares me: "The DH would likely be universally implemented as well."

I can't imagine it would go away if they use it for a clown season like this.

I love that the NL still plays baseball by what I think is still the way it's supposed to be played. When they do adopt it, my interest won't be the same.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

2B7D6B7F706A7A717C6B597E74787075377A190 wrote: This is what scares me: "The DH would likely be universally implemented as well."

I can't imagine it would go away if they use it for a clown season like this.

I love that the NL still plays baseball by what I think is still the way it's supposed to be played.  When they do adopt it, my interest won't be the same.

Yep, completely agree. I won't pretend I'll stop watching when it does happen, but from that day forth it will be a worse game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I see Oriole games too and the DH just ruins the game. You add a big thumper to the middle of the order who just shows up to bat but doesn't have a position, eliminate the value of good hitting pitchers, eliminate the strategy of either pitching around a hitter to get to the pitcher or trying to get the #8 hitter out to have the pitcher lead off the next inning, and eliminate the strategy of whether or not to PH for an effective pitcher in a close game. The DH is also an extra tool for big spending teams to pay for that additional big bat beyond the offense they get from their position players.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'm not sure how I'd feel about all of this. Saying what I'd do now is just as hypothetical as the stuff being proposed.

I'm all for realignment, but only if they expand to 32 or contract to 28. I really wish that's what they would do, is contract. The two Florida teams won't be missed. But expansion is what will happen.

Problem with realignment is it would have to be driven geographically, not by what would make common sense. No other way around it, unless you start relocating a bunch of franchises. Good luck with that, with all the new stadiums and contractual tie ins to the leases. Those are the dates to look at, which teams have fulfilled their obligations.

Like it or not, sentiment will not be playing a part. I read a lot of sentiment, I have sentimental ties to the game too. At some point, you have to realize, the game has always been changing. I guess we all have our sentimental limit to where we say, "I'm done with this."

Think of it. Night games for World Series. Games on PPV only. Astroturf. Divisions. Expansion. Teams switching leagues....twice now....to and from the same division at that. Domed stadiums. New York teams relocating to California. Marlins, Rays, Angels constantly changing their names. One of the oldest franchises once again probably moving (Athletics). The DH. The mound lowered. Replay. Players and umpires unions. Safety netting down the lines. Electronic scoreboards. The Pirates are in their THIRD home since the start of the 1970 season. Yankee Stadium was tore down. Larger gloves, larger salaries, larger costs to attend a game.

I'm guessing when I look at it that way, I'll probably be able to go along with whatever they come up with.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Before they decide to expand, they'll have to assess how profitable teams are in the post-pandemic era. Will attendance be permanently effected by fear of being in large crowds? And if attendance wanes, will it also reduce overall interest in the game which would effect merchandise sales and TV viewership? Maybe things will get back to normal in a year or 2. But I think those questions have to be answered before expansion is considered.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

426463767F7364727A110 wrote: I'm not sure how I'd feel about all of this. Saying what I'd do now is just as hypothetical as the stuff being proposed.

I'm all for realignment, but only if they expand to 32 or contract to 28. I really wish that's what they would do, is contract. The two Florida teams won't be missed. But expansion is what will happen.

Problem with realignment is it would have to be driven geographically, not by what would make common sense. No other way around it, unless you start relocating a bunch of franchises. Good luck with that, with all the new stadiums and contractual tie ins to the leases. Those are the dates to look at, which teams have fulfilled their obligations.

Like it or not, sentiment will not be playing a part. I read a lot of sentiment, I have sentimental ties to the game too. At some point, you have to realize, the game has always been changing. I guess we all have our sentimental limit to where we say, "I'm done with this."

Think of it. Night games for World Series. Games on PPV only. Astroturf. Divisions. Expansion. Teams switching leagues....twice now....to and from the same division at that. Domed stadiums. New York teams relocating to California. Marlins, Rays, Angels constantly changing their names. One of the oldest franchises once again probably moving (Athletics). The DH. The mound lowered. Replay. Players and umpires unions. Safety netting down the lines. Electronic scoreboards. The Pirates are in their THIRD home since the start of the 1970 season. Yankee Stadium was tore down. Larger gloves, larger salaries, larger costs to attend a game.

I'm guessing when I look at it that way, I'll probably be able to go along with whatever they come up with.

usually, if you keep thinking, "Sentiment has no cash value." you can figure out what road baseball will take (and most other organizations).
2drfischer@gmail.c

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: I see Oriole games too and the DH just ruins the game. You add a big thumper to the middle of the order who just shows up to bat but doesn't have a position, eliminate the value of good hitting pitchers, eliminate the strategy of either pitching around a hitter to get to the pitcher or trying to get the #8 hitter out to have the pitcher lead off the next inning, and eliminate the strategy of whether or not to PH for an effective pitcher in a close game. The DH is also an extra tool for big spending teams to pay for that additional big bat beyond the offense they get from their position players. 

Good summary, Bob. One other thing: if the NL adopts the DH, the Pirates will simply use their fourth outfielder to fill the role. No way will the team sign a big thumper for the job, like the Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, etc, will do. It'll put the club even further back of the serious competitors.
2drfischer@gmail.c

5C7A7D68616D7A6C640F0 wrote: I'm not sure how I'd feel about all of this. Saying what I'd do now is just as hypothetical as the stuff being proposed.

Interesting thoughts, Sugar. While realignment will be weird for some, we'd eventually get used to it, just as we did with the restructuring that brought us the divisions and the subsequent adjustments that followed.

What I fight, and have difficulty accepting, are major rules changes that, in my mind, have too great an impact on the game. The DH rule, Interleague play, and the replay system are changes that I've been loath to accept and, if I were put in charge, would be eliminated before I sat down at my desk.
shedman

Post by shedman »

14323520292532242C470 wrote: I'm not sure how I'd feel about all of this. Saying what I'd do now is just as hypothetical as the stuff being proposed.

I think you have it right Surg.  Regardless of what they do, I am still going to be a baseball fan and regardless of what Nutting does, I am still going to be a Pirate fan.  However, the DH
is something that I find hard to accept.If I had my druthers, I would like to see a realignment along the lines of market size so the small market teams would be in the same divisions and the large market teams would be in other divisions. Mind you, it would not do us any good because BOB would just outcheap the other small market clubs and we still would never win a Division Championship.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

085E485C534959525F487A5D575B535614593A0 wrote: I see Oriole games too and the DH just ruins the game. You add a big thumper to the middle of the order who just shows up to bat but doesn't have a position, eliminate the value of good hitting pitchers, eliminate the strategy of either pitching around a hitter to get to the pitcher or trying to get the #8 hitter out to have the pitcher lead off the next inning, and eliminate the strategy of whether or not to PH for an effective pitcher in a close game. The DH is also an extra tool for big spending teams to pay for that additional big bat beyond the offense they get from their position players. 

Good summary, Bob.  One other thing:  if the NL adopts the DH, the Pirates will simply use their fourth outfielder to fill the role.  No way will the team sign a big thumper for the job, like the Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, etc, will do.  It'll put the club even further back of the serious competitors.

That's what I was saying, Doc. The DH is like an option on a new car. You can go for the delux version or opt for the cheaper one. It's just another way that distances big money teams from small market teams. As it is now, AL teams have the advantage in their home interdivision games because even the small market AL teams have someone especially to DH while the NL teams pick someone off the bench.