Marlins are Close To Acquiring Jacob Stallings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5651474F4156111D644349454D480A474B49240 wrote: I hate to see Jacob leave, and this caught me completely off guard.  But after considering it for a few hours I think BC made a shrewd move. 

We’ve been wondering where the Pirates would pick up starting pitching knowing Nutting would not spend for high end SP.  Ben added a potential quality starter and added another prospect arm. 

Frankly, it was smart to “monetize” Stallings now, with the GG, he turned a guy DFA just a couple years ago into helping to fill Starting pitching.  And while we now have an immediate need at catcher, we are looking really deep in catchers not far down the road. 

This is a very good return for Stallings and a smart move.  It is not a move Neal would have made. 

The Pirates may not be better today because of this trade, but it could have a material impact on the team as it turns toward competing. 
That's how I see it. Surprised at the trade. But it looks like a solid return for a player expected to be replaced in a couple years by their #1 draft pick this year. In the short term it weakens them at catcher but might strengthen them by adding Thompson to the rotation. I'm curious as to why the Marlins moved him to the BP last year when he had a 3.25 ERA as a starter. He also had a nice 3.18 ERA in relief. The Bucs need starters so I assume that's how they will use him.

I think this deal gives some insight as to when BC expects the team to be competitive. Henry Davis could see time at AA this coming year and AAA the next year. Possibly even hit the MLB roster some time in 2023. By then some of last year's top Altoona and Greensboro players should be on the MLB roster or just about ready. Dealing Stallings now suggests BC knows it's a lost cause until then with or without Stallings. And in a couple years when they can--hopefully--field a decent team with the prospects they've been developing, Stallings will be at least 34 and ready to move aside for Davis. And then we'll see if BC has actually put together a good team or has just blown smoke to keep the fans interested in that future that never comes. We can only hope.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I thought Stallings was way more valuable to us specifically than he would be for other teams. From what I've read the return is kind of middling so what's the point? Who's going to be our catcher? Even of you/mgt don't think wins are that important in 2022, he seemed really good at bringing along the new pitching we're trying to develop.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

477579796D5F7C75787D7275140 wrote: I thought Stallings was way more valuable to us specifically than he would be for other teams.  From what I've read the return is kind of middling so what's the point?  Who's going to be our catcher?  Even of you/mgt don't think wins are that important in 2022, he seemed really good at bringing along the new pitching we're trying to develop.

To teams that believe in "building up the middle," and need a catcher, Stallings has value.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

It is really hard to judge prospects with the 2020 season gone. So I'm assuming most scouting info comes from draft preparation for the year the player was taken. Just for comparables:

Scott (Marlins #23) was taken out of HS three picks after Swaggerty (Bucs #16).

Nicholas (Marlins #16) was picked #60 in 2020 and we took Jared Jones (Bucs #15) at 44.

Personally I want to see some sort of bridge built to 2024 and Stallings seemed to have great leadership ability to take younger players forward. Clearly that is not going to happen. However, if BC wants to tear this thing down to the bare bones, (and it's one more race to the bottom season for me as a fan) then I'm behind trading Reynolds right now. Insanity seems to be ruling a lot of GM's decision-making before this Dec 1 deadline and I think we can get the kind of return we want for Reynolds from someone. Not sure why there is so much desperation out there, but it's crazy. Let's take advantage of it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

to me, it is clear that 2022 is another year that the team is not going to care about the won loss record.

The team will have some young players get their shot in 2022, others are expected to develop in the minors and be ready in 2023 or 2024.

The nice thing about Stallings deal is that one pitcher should be contributing for the next 4 or 5 years, one might be ready by 2023 or 2024.

The outfielder is another competitor for Head and Lolo Sanchez, perhaps Swaggerty too although Swags is three years or so ahead of him.

BC is working on developing a deep system to increase the odds that players will pan out in majors and maybe even be able to trade some for a more costly player if there is a need (if that happens then it shows BC thinks the team is ready to compete).
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4667727B437A61726776130 wrote: It is really hard to judge prospects with the 2020 season gone. So I'm assuming most scouting info comes from draft preparation for the year the player was taken. Just for comparables:

Scott (Marlins #23) was taken out of HS three picks after Swaggerty (Bucs #16).

Nicholas (Marlins #16) was picked #60 in 2020 and we took Jared Jones (Bucs #15) at 44. 

Personally I want to see some sort of bridge built to 2024 and Stallings seemed to have great leadership ability to take younger players forward. Clearly that is not going to happen. However, if BC wants to tear this thing down to the bare bones, (and it's one more race to the bottom season for me as a fan) then I'm behind trading Reynolds right now. Insanity seems to be ruling a lot of GM's decision-making before this Dec 1 deadline and I think we can get the kind of return we want for Reynolds from someone. Not sure why there is so much desperation out there, but it's crazy. Let's take advantage of it. 

I'm with you. Trade Reynolds. I half expect it done today, a la Cole/McCutchen.