Official Game Thread - 4/23 - Bucs @ Twins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Quick game. 2:20. Great pitching duel.

McKenry has an issue with addressing Brown every time he speaks. I counted 39 "Brownies." I suspect someone in the broadcast team mentioned it to him because after 32 "Brownies" thru 6 innings, he started saying "Greg Brown" when he spoke with only 7 more "Brownies" over innings 7-9. McKenry has to realize he's speaking to the viewing audience and needs to stop acting as if he's only talking to his partner and even if that's what he thinks, he doesn't need to address his partner by name every time. It gets annoying. :(
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: Quick game. 2:20. Great pitching duel.

McKenry has an issue with addressing Brown every time he speaks. I counted 39 "Brownies." I suspect someone in the broadcast team mentioned it to him because after 32 "Brownies" thru 6 innings, he started saying "Greg Brown" when he spoke with only 7 more "Brownies" over innings 7-9. McKenry has to realize he's speaking to the viewing audience and needs to stop acting as if he's only talking to his partner and even if that's what he thinks, he doesn't need to address his partner by name every time. It gets annoying.  :( McKenry is just not very good at doing color. He is good in the studio on pregame and gives good analysis but he just doesn’t have it to be a color guy for whatever reason. He talks way too much and his voice is just not pleasant to listen too. I enjoyed Matt Capps way better doing color last weekend with Greg Brown. He was much more pleasant to listen too and was actually entertaining and gave good analysis at the same time and didn’t feel the need to chime in every 3 seconds every time Brown made a comment.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Another great start by Brubaker. Safe to say at the moment if the Pirates do have an “ace” or number 1 starter right now it’s JT Brubaker and it’s not even close.
True. He's pitching on a different level than the other starters. Brubaker has been pretty good his first 4 starts and looks like he has the potential to be very good the more he pitches well and the more confidence he will get. If Keller can continue to improve this year and be solid and Tyler Anderson can pitch like he has so far through his first 3 or 4 starts the Pirates can actually have 3 pretty good starting pitchers in this rotation that they can throw out there every 5th day where you can feel at least somewhat confident you can depend on to keep you in the game and ultimately give you a chance to win.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

To piggy back a little bit off the last comment about the rotation I hope that Cahill doesn’t get too many more starts here moving forward. He pitched well in the Padres game a few weeks ago but got bombed in his other two starts. My hope is he gets maybe 2 or 3 more starts at the most after today to show that he can be effective and if not hopefully Cherrington will do to Cahill what he did with both Fowler and Alford this week and that’s simply say enough is enough and just DFA him. Miguel Yajure showed the other night in Detroit he is capable of pitching in this rotation moving forward and at least earned himself some more starts. I would replace Cahill with Yajure and then just have Kuhl come back in his normal rotation spot after he comes back from his stint on the 10 day IL.

But the bottom line again is if Cahill continues to get bombed in his next few starts I get rid of him period and I think Cherrington will do just that if things don’t start improving for him a great deal in his next few starts
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C7B6A6E6B76497D6A6B6B760F0 wrote: To piggy back a little bit off the last comment about the rotation I hope that Cahill doesn’t get too many more starts here moving forward. He pitched well in the Padres game a few weeks ago but got bombed in his other two starts. My hope is he gets maybe 2 or 3 more starts at the most after today to show that he can be effective and if not hopefully Cherrington will do to Cahill what he did with both Fowler and Alford this week and that’s simply say enough is enough and just DFA him. Miguel Yajure showed the other night in Detroit he is capable of pitching in this rotation moving forward and at least earned himself some more starts. I would replace Cahill with Yajure and then just have Kuhl come back in his normal rotation spot after he comes back from his stint on the 10 day IL.

But the bottom line again is if Cahill continues to get bombed in his next few starts I get rid of him period and I think Cherrington will do just that if things don’t start improving for him a great deal in his next few starts
Yajure's start was encouraging. OTOH he has little experience above high-A where he was dominant. That was in 2019 when he also pitched 2 games at AA. Last year probably would have been AA and some AAA but the minors season was canceled. He made 3 relief appearances for the Yankees last year and had a nice first 4 innings for the Pirates last week.

I think it's worth giving him a look if Cahill doesn't improve but his inexperience at the higher levels may become a factor. If they release Cahill and then Yajure struggles, they may need to let him pitch at AA or AAA when those seasons start and have a backup plan for that spot in the rotation. 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

092E3F3B3E231C283F3E3E235A0 wrote: Quick game. 2:20. Great pitching duel.

McKenry has an issue with addressing Brown every time he speaks. I counted 39 "Brownies." I suspect someone in the broadcast team mentioned it to him because after 32 "Brownies" thru 6 innings, he started saying "Greg Brown" when he spoke with only 7 more "Brownies" over innings 7-9. McKenry has to realize he's speaking to the viewing audience and needs to stop acting as if he's only talking to his partner and even if that's what he thinks, he doesn't need to address his partner by name every time. It gets annoying.  :( McKenry is just not very good at doing color. He is good in the studio on pregame and gives good analysis but he just doesn’t have it to be a color guy for whatever reason. He talks way too much and his voice is just not pleasant to listen too. I enjoyed Matt Capps way better doing color last weekend with Greg Brown. He was much more pleasant to listen too and was actually entertaining and gave good analysis at the same time and didn’t feel the need to chime in every 3 seconds every time Brown made a comment.

I thought Capps was very good. And when paired with the agonizing Joe Block, Capps was very effective at bringing up topics instead of just reacting to Block's meanderings, which the other color guys tend to do. It actually seemed to keep Block off balance as he was more prone to describe the game action with less of his usual droning blather as Capps often dominated the air time with thoughts of his own.