5/9 vs. White Sox

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm not a fan of the Moran beard. Or that of Trevor Williams either. But I'm satisfied with Moran. He won't make anyone forget about Brooks Robinson at 3B but he's adequate. Historically, 3B has been a position that is sometimes manned by a productive hitter if he's just adequate in the field. It's great to have the strong glove too but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. But he has made some very good plays this year.

Moran was a consistently good hitter in the minors and hasn't disappointed with a .283 BA so far. He showed power last year (albeit in the PCL) and is currently on a pace to hit about 15 HRs. More would be better and that's certainly possible. On the Pirates, who have generally hit well this season, he currently ranks 2nd in OBP, 4th in hits, 2Bs, RBIs and BA. He ranks 5th in HRs and SLG. He was obtained for a pitcher who had fallen into mediocrity the past 2 seasons. Cole seems to have found the magic touch he didn't have in Pittsburgh. Good for him. But you can't make trades based on a knowledge of future events. I'm fine with Moran.
dmetz

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by dmetz »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: You also said age doesn't matter.  I guess it matters for Moran?    ? I don't know what you mean, but it's probably just another strawman.

I'm not declaring Moran a bust.   I'm not even saying that I believe he won't be perhaps a decent backup or a low-end starter.   I'm saying I personally believe he's not going to be a good starter because of the multiple reasons I've mentioned.    IF HE DEVELOPS REAL POWER, and the LD% transfers to FB% and not GB% and the HR/FB% gets better.  I will very likely be wrong. There's time of course and he's doing ok, but his minor league changes last year that you and everyone else touted as evidence he was a changed hitter haven't held, so far.    

You do care about his appearance as you questioned his work ethic. 
I thought you meant beard.   I don't care about that at all.   I care about his being unathletic 6'4 and at least 15 lbs underweight, if not 25.  Especially when I'm looking for power from him and everyone else has been looking for power from him his entire pro-career, it raises a flag for me.  Why unable to fill out?   It's not like speed and agility are a factor, he has none of either and never has.    

Moran is having a fine season so far.  Not sure how people can deny that. 

Agree.  His season so far is fine.  after the homer his offensive numbers look fairly solid.  Lets talk about it on memorial day.   

Where was your "Bell isn't a starting 1B" last year?  35 games in 2018 changed your mind?
Bell's GB%s over a very significant ML sample now are very concerning.  Last year I was concerned, but hopeful.  This year, he's right back on the ground and struggling mightily. 

His defense is sub-par, so he needs to hit and hit big to be an effective ML 1bman.    You had a huge problem understanding that with Pedro Alvarez, so I'm not surprised you may not understand that with Josh Bell either.    Bell is better defensively than Pedro, but the same challenge remains for him.  in order to be a good ML starter,  He must hit big because he costs runs in the field.

Bell is a dangerous guy to hang our hats on as the future.  Even with his power last year, he was inadequate as a starter, so he needs to improve on last years numbers, not fall back. 

Ultimately who cares what I think and why I think it?
dmetz

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by dmetz »

So to me... who is good, Position player wise?

Alex Dickerson. he will fall back, but he's demonstrated that he's a high quality hitter and adequate fielder.

Cervelli his defensive inadequacies this year are dwarfed by this slugging that has come out of nowhere.  OBP was always there, so this slugging has changed the game for him (for now)

marte:  One of the best CF'ers in the game.  The defensive numbers will be there when the dust settles.  He's walked 15 times, none of which have been intentional (new development for him).     he's tripled 4 times already leading the NL, he's stealing bases.  He's very, very, very good.

Who is bad?

Mercer-  Early season dead bat as usual.  Warm weather hitter so likely to have an above average bat from June onward.   liability until that time.

Frazier: Warming up but needs more.  Inadequate fielder.  Blah.  good Utilityman.   I think likely to move up to "average" but needs to get hot and stay hot a bit to get there.

SRod I care about BA as little as anyone, but dude... you can't hit this bad from a contact % standpoint.  Maybe swing a little less hard?   Defensively superb but offensively inept. 

Bell:   Deeply concerned, as noted previously.  Needs to build on last year, (which wasn't acceptable) and appears to be falling back.

Everyone else I think is varying degrees of doing decent.  Moran after the homerun is doing good.  prior to that ab, was decent.
Ecbucs

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by Ecbucs »

3D343C2D23590 wrote: You also said age doesn't matter.  I guess it matters for Moran?    ?  I don't know what you mean, but it's probably just another strawman. 

I'm not declaring Moran a bust.   I'm not even saying that I believe he won't be perhaps a decent backup or a low-end starter.   I'm saying I personally believe he's not going to be a good starter because of the multiple reasons I've mentioned.    IF HE DEVELOPS REAL POWER, and the LD% transfers to FB% and not GB% and the HR/FB% gets better.  I will very likely be wrong.  There's time of course and he's doing ok, but his minor league changes last year that you and everyone else touted as evidence he was a changed hitter haven't held, so far.     

I thought you meant beard.   I don't care about that at all.   I care about his being unathletic 6'4 and at least 15 lbs underweight, if not 25.  Especially when I'm looking for power from him and everyone else has been looking for power from him his entire pro-career, it raises a flag for me.  Why unable to fill out?   It's not like speed and agility are a factor, he has none of either and never has.    

Agree.  His season so far is fine.  after the homer his offensive numbers look fairly solid.  Lets talk about it on memorial day.   

Where was your "Bell isn't a starting 1B" last year?  35 games in 2018 changed your mind?
Bell's GB%s over a very significant ML sample now are very concerning.  Last year I was concerned, but hopeful.  This year, he's right back on the ground and struggling mightily. 

His defense is sub-par, so he needs to hit and hit big to be an effective ML 1bman.    You had a huge problem understanding that with Pedro Alvarez, so I'm not surprised you may not understand that with Josh Bell either.    Bell is better defensively than Pedro, but the same challenge remains for him.  in order to be a good ML starter,  He must hit big because he costs runs in the field.

Bell is a dangerous guy to hang our hats on as the future.  Even with his power last year, he was inadequate as a starter, so he needs to improve on last years numbers, not fall back. 

[highlight]Ultimately who cares what I think and why I think it?[/highlight]

easy answer is everyone on OBN. Different opinions are needed to keep the board alive.
johnfluharty

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by johnfluharty »

2D242C3D33490 wrote:

I think Bell is doing just fine defensively, especially considering how long he has played the position, but I am equally concerned with the bat.
Bobster21

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by Bobster21 »

474245434B4158454C5F59542D0 wrote:

I think Bell is doing just fine defensively, especially considering how long he has played the position, but I am equally concerned with the bat.

I think he'll be fine. 26 2Bs, 6 3Bs, 26 HRs, 90 RBIs and 66 walks (2nd only to Cutch) last year in his rookie season was outstanding. He's off to a slow start but no reason to think he lacks the skills. What I see are too many poor, counterproductive swings. That should be correctable with coaching.
Tintin

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by Tintin »

594143444453424558594F2A0 wrote: Amongst rookies in the NL, he is one or two in Ave, OBP, OPS, WAR, Slug, RBIs.  Top 5 in other categories too. 

We have to knock his appearance since he is performing on the field.  Sorry, its a little crazy to me and uncalled for in my opinion. 

If Cole wasn't doing so well for the Astros, do you think these comments would have been made?  I sure don't.   

I'm certainly not sold on Moran and I hate his beard and looks period.  What ever happen to dressing for success, he isn't helping himself with fans/career with his look, plain and simple.  Say what you will about the Yankee's but I like there facial hair policy, MLB would do well to adopt at least a minimum policy, of course never would happen with players union. 

Moran certainly has a long way to go to even get close to a decent return for Cole.

Ironic that his beard is getting play the weekend our former MVP is coming back. I’m fairly certain that Sony didn’t care about his dreads when to hey we’re puttibg him on the cover of MLB 2013, and I doubt people stayed away from PNC due to Cutch’s appearance.

Moran despite people disliking him because the FO went out and got him has proven to be a decent, albeit average major league 3b.

He reminds me of Jeff King in demeanor and is an asset to this team so far.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/9 vs. White Sox

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0E28293E28384B0 wrote: You also said age doesn't matter.  I guess it matters for Moran?    ?  I don't know what you mean, but it's probably just another strawman. 

I'm not declaring Moran a bust.   I'm not even saying that I believe he won't be perhaps a decent backup or a low-end starter.   I'm saying I personally believe he's not going to be a good starter because of the multiple reasons I've mentioned.    IF HE DEVELOPS REAL POWER, and the LD% transfers to FB% and not GB% and the HR/FB% gets better.  I will very likely be wrong.  There's time of course and he's doing ok, but his minor league changes last year that you and everyone else touted as evidence he was a changed hitter haven't held, so far.     

[highlight]Ultimately who cares what I think and why I think it?[/highlight]

easy answer is everyone on OBN.  Different opinions are needed to keep the board alive.

I appreciate the sabermetric guys such as dmetz because I have not taken the time to learn this method of analysis, but I do respect the method. I try to keep an open mind, and I'm not sure a player can be reduced simply to formulas, but I'll say this: I pay attention when saber-guys are concerned about someone like Bell.

Frankly, I'm betting the next few years ON Bell being a cornerstone. It's concerning to me when dmetz's opinion (and others) don't match my hopes/expectations. I do not blow them off.

Although I'm pretty sure I know what dmatz means in his comment about his opinion, I agree - the opinions on here are all good and helpful and interesting.