Williams and Osuna Designated

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C6B62626B787B6B4C7B6D0E0 wrote: Osuna had over 700 PAs in the majors and was not good.

He played the OF and 3B, but his defense at those spots is pretty suspect, especially when he does not really hit that much to make up for it with his bat.  He had a few decent seasons and a couple good ones in AAA, but nothing really exciting. For his minor league career, he was hovering more around average power than plus. In the majors he was subpar for a corner player with minimal defensive value.

How much of a chance do you give a guy when he gives you no reason for one?  Probably a reason he is likely going to Asia.
I don't know that 700 PAs is necessarily enough to gauge a player. Some players get that in one season. And sometimes a rookie can be good or bad in his first year with about that number of PAs and follow that with a sophomore season either significantly better or worse than the previous year. So I don't know that the first 700 PAs tells the whole story of a player's ability.

And there's a big difference between 700 PAs by someone who compiles them all or mostly in one season and someone who compiles them over 4 years, seldom on more than 1 or 2 days in a row, a large chunk of them (109) coming off the bench for one PA at a time as a PHer while shuffling back and forth to AAA. It's not realistic to just say "700 is 700" regardless of how they were compiled and that's enough to show what he's got without playing more than 1 month on a sustained basis and even that was only done once.

I'm not saying he's sure to become a success. But I am saying he hasn't had enough opportunity to find out.

So rather than say you don't get why the fans love him, I would say they don't, but I don't get why some fans could look at the sporadic nature of his usage and conclude he can't be any more than what we've seen so far. I guess the Bucs just have a riches of hitting and don't need to take a better look at him.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

795E57575E4D4E5E794E583B0 wrote: I'm with you on this, BVB.  Our issue is the first 8 guys and pitchers, not the 25th.  He's not the kind of guy I get upset about when they move on from him.

They have enough trouble filling that out.  Pirates should take advantage this year with all the "financial flexibility" they have to pick up talent. 

Agree on that, but, let's face it- we have 29 other teams trying to do the same. I always say "may the best man win," but it seems as if we're hardly ever that "man."

I have no doubt that we'll find some. I question whether we can keep it long enough to make enough of a difference to go farther than we have. I guess we'll deal with that at the appropriate time.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

0D2C240D262E490 wrote: I hope Osuna turns into the next Jose Bautista! 

Not me. I wish him very well. No reason for me not to. But, I hope a guy that we HAVE turns into the next Joey Bats. Matter of fact, I hope that eight of our guys do.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: I hope Osuna turns into the next Jose Bautista! 

Not me.  I wish him very well.  No reason for me not to.  But, I hope a guy that we HAVE turns into the next Joey Bats.  Matter of fact, I hope that eight of our guys do.

I don’t think he will become a Joey Bats, but I do believe we are going to be very happy with Anthony Alford. He was a player who was blocked in Toronto, and when he became available we took him off the waiver wire.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll enjoy the guy while he's here. What else can be said at this stage of our game?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

6A4D44444D5E5D4D6A5D4B280 wrote: We will see, if Cherington evaluations is good or not.  I personally thought Williams was good enough to keep who do they have that is better at least as a number 5 starter.  If Williams catches on and does well elsewhere it will tell us something.

Williams has been replacement level for a while now.  He had no margin or error with his stuff, and they have more than 5 guys that are better, plus a couple young guys that can help next year. Not much reason to keep him.

Osuna was also bad, but fans seemed to love him.  I dont get that at all.

Agree that Williams is just a stop gap guy... no trade value what so ever . Osuna is a low level utility player.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Osuna was a tease to me. He showed you glimpses that he could be a viable option here at several positions. For whatever reason, the organization either misused him at times, or just simply didn't see him as an option.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Guys who are viable options tend to cost money. So much for that.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I am glad they are finally over the Osuna era. I've never understood the fascination with the guy.

As far as Williams, I find it laughable once again the cries of woe from the "dumping salary" crowd. NOW they want the guy! I wish him well. Williams will always be part of one of the most memorable PNC Games: The Rich Hill game. Yeah, he was the OTHER starting pitcher.

Sadly, there's hundreds of stories just like his, heck we've seen a couple of them here. Endeared themselves to us with their unlikely heroics, albeit briefly, before succumbing to injury bugs they have never been able to shake. He's Jeff Karstens, just better looking.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

05232431383423353D560 wrote: I am glad they are finally over the Osuna era. I've never understood the fascination with the guy.

As far as Williams, I find it laughable once again the cries of woe from the "dumping salary" crowd. NOW they want the guy! I wish him well. Williams will always be part of one of the most memorable PNC Games: The Rich Hill game. Yeah, he was the OTHER starting pitcher.

Sadly, there's hundreds of stories just like his, heck we've seen a couple of them here. Endeared themselves to us with their unlikely heroics, albeit briefly, before succumbing to injury bugs they have never been able to shake. He's Jeff Karstens, just better looking.

Went to a game a few years ago where Williams out pitched deGrom, the eventual Cy Young winner. deGrom was actually the best hitter for the Mets that day.