Pitch clock likely for 2018

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

In favor.  I believe the umpires have the right to enforce it now if they chose. 

I agree with Dog, it's not 20 seconds anyway.  But when an erratic pitcher like Glasnow takes all of 15 seconds and works every batter to a 3 ball count, it's an easy 15-20 minutes per half inning.  Gets awfully frustrating.   Receive the ball, take the mound, get your sign and deliver.     Perhaps knowing the rule will be enforced will speed up the slow guys anyway, just so they aren't anywhere near 20.

[hr]

btw Glasnow doesn't really have very good "stuff".  It's becoming likely (to me) that he just relied on his velocity to dominate AAA hitters, and his ceiling is back of the rotation if that.   

2017:  his fastball is flat, his sinker is flat, his curve is good but wild and his changeup is getting swings and misses the few times he throws it.    Here you go:   [ftp]http://www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=607192[/ftp]

He has "stuff" problems as well as control problems.  If you've got a flat fastball and sinker with poor control inside the zone (let alone problems even getting it in the zone), you've got some very serious problems.  Like, wash out of baseball type problems.   Sell, if he still has any real value. 

EDIT:  Positive:  Luplow needs to get a real look this year.  You cannot fiddle around with raw power like that when we are such a power-starved organization.  When Polanco pulls the hammy again, Luplow will have the everyday OF look.  I like his stat sheet.  That .ISO is definitely intriguing. 

I like the idea of Moroff getting a long-look too.  Moroff is a guy that's still under the radar.  He's the clear J-Hay replacement, to me, not Frazier.   

There's a possibility Moroff could be a switch hitting .770-.790 OPS 15-20 HR guy.  Also possible he's nothing but a bench warmer.  You have to see if what he did at Indy last year was a fluke, or if he can sustain something like that while playing 2b.

Summary:  Moroff and Luplow?  Lets see if we have anything worthwhile....  Glasnow?  sell .... Meadows? sell..... J-Hay? Sell.  Mercer? sell

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It's one reason I liked Jeff karstens. He wasn't always good, heck usually wasn't, but one thing you could count on him to do was throw the damn ball.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It's not 20 seconds? I always thought it was a 20 second pitch clock.

Another issue is that it restarts after a move. Like, a throw over or just stepping off the rubber.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

3F343C3035342F6A6C1B223A3334347538345B0 wrote: It's not 20 seconds? I always thought it was a 20 second pitch clock.

Another issue is that it restarts after a move. Like, a throw over or just stepping off the rubber.

It is 20 seconds.  I meant, they don't really take 20 seconds anyway, even the slow guys.  It seems like they take 20 minutes sometimes but it's all illusion, you are right.   

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Maybe they can make it like a chess clock where they have a certain amount of time to use in an inning, like 15 minutes or something.

If they go over . . . well, out comes the cattle prod. :D
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Gravedigging this thread to add this little tidbit:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/ ... anges.html

In a measure that’s sure both to shorten contests and engender consternation among purists, teams will start each inning with a baserunner on second from the tenth frame on. (The runner will be the player that occupies the spot in the order prior to the one that’s due to lead off the inning.) This procedure was utilized with less-than-enthusiastic reviews at the most recent World Baseball Classic.

Where's the barfing emoji when you need it?
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Pitch clock and limited mound visits I can deal with. The starting with a runner on second thing might be, dare I say it, as bad as the DH. But a lot of sports seem to be going to garbage rules if a game ends in a tie. Hockey shootouts, that bizarre college football overtime rule. Just play the game!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

47434B7C6A7A4F6867090 wrote: Pitch clock and limited mound visits I can deal with. The starting with a runner on second thing might be, dare I say it, as bad as the DH. But a lot of sports seem to be going to garbage rules if a game ends in a tie. Hockey shootouts, that bizarre college football overtime rule. Just play the game!
I agree. I've never liked the idea of playing a different game with new rules to decide who wins the game that ended in a tie with the old rules.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Gotta say, MLB is really going to screw up the game. All for the sake of TV.

As a kid and young man I went to a lot of Bucco games and did not feel they were too long. Time between innings was a lot quicker then, because of no long commercial breaks for the damn tv networks. Money speaks and the tv folks have loads of it to spend on baseball. Sucks that it has happened this way.

As for the pitch clock, the visits to the mound, what the heck is MLB doing here? This stuff is worse than the DH. How is this going to be monitored? Will they need a 5th ump to watch the clock and reset it after each pitch? Or will it fall on the HP ump and thus cause a distraction from him doing a less than perfect job? How does the rule work when there are runners on base?

What about the 6 visit to the mound rule? This one is not too bad. But it takes some gamesmanship out the game. For a lot of years the mgr or pc would make a visit to the mound just to waste some time so the guy warming in the BP could have a few extra pitches to get warmed up.

As for the extra innings thing this totally stinks!!! Tradition is being thrown out the window for the sake of TV. If you are going to put a runner on second in xtra innings to hopefully shorten the game then why not make the game really short by doing something like that in every inning and then limiting the # of runs that can be scored in a inning or introduce a "mercy" rule.

To top off this rant, I believe it was in The Athletic that I read that all this crap to shorten the games only saves about 5-6 minutes off the avg time of a game. It takes me that much time to go to the men's room at a game. It is a very insignificant amount of time. You could save at least 18 minutes per game if you could cut a minute of commercials between innings and halves of innings.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Besides the pitchers the hitters get out of the batters box and adjust their gloves, or tighten their helmet. Enforce the rule to remain in the batters box. That would help move the game along. Finally none of that crap to put a player on second base in extra innings. If they are going to do that just play tie games.